Manual cam chain tensioner

POWERHOUSE

Frank
Site Sponsor
Registered
The stock tensioner is usually fine, although I have seen a few fail over the years. If you are
big into shutting the throttle down hard after going through the traps at 11,000 rpm, I would consider
a manual tensioner, as the tension put on the back side of the cam chain on decel can put
some pressure on any ratcheting style adjuster . . . if you are not that radical, I would recommend other
mods before this one . . .

Kiwi Rider

Registered
My Gen 1 had one fitted, an APE tensioner, prior to my ownership, when I replaced my cam chain, cam shafts, and chain tensioner guide I set the manual tensioner as per the instructions on the APE website.
It was still a little noisey on decel so I gave it another quarter turn on the bolt adjuster, seems to be all good now.
As Frank said, if you're drag racing and want to have the assurance she ain't gonna let go, use one, but for general street riding the OEM tensioner will be fine.

Bigpopa64

Registered
The stock tensioner is usually fine, although I have seen a few fail over the years. If you are
big into shutting the throttle down hard after going through the traps at 11,000 rpm, I would consider
a manual tensioner, as the tension put on the back side of the cam chain on decel can put
some pressure on any ratcheting style adjuster . . . if you are not that radical, I would recommend other
mods before this one . . .
Thanks Frank I have forgotten Im going to be sending you my items to do in a couple of weeks I decided to to rotors and breaks 1st I dont know what I would do with out you guy on this forum

Bigpopa64

Registered
My Gen 1 had one fitted, an APE tensioner, prior to my ownership, when I replaced my cam chain, cam shafts, and chain tensioner guide I set the manual tensioner as per the instructions on the APE website.
It was still a little noisey on decel so I gave it another quarter turn on the bolt adjuster, seems to be all good now.
As Frank said, if you're drag racing and want to have the assurance she ain't gonna let go, use one, but for general street riding the OEM tensioner will be fine.
Thank you sir I don't drag race I get down on her once in a while to blow her out :lol:

Latest Bikes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ray117