Manual Cam Chain Tensioner ? Yay or Nay?

Quicker Gixxer

Registered
Looking for some more input on this topic....found too much on google from people I don't know or trust.

I've got two Gen 1's. My 1397 already had the APE unit installed. I bought a 1580 (motor done by Williford's) that uses the OEM hydraulic unit...and thought about swapping it...but was told by a local racer that oem is better for a bigger motor with high oil pressure to drive the tensioner. I would assume Rodney knows what he's doing...he's reputable, but still curious.

What's your experience been?
Thanks..

I would use stock oem
The idea per Carpenter is what was mentioned above, the unit has a anit back off pin in it, and with idle set up like 1800 rpm to keep good oil pressure to valve train, the stock unit as always will adjust if needed and not back out in any way,
my 1630 carpenter motor has the oem one on and when i asked Bob about ape manual he said now way. Just my info

As said above stick with stock unit, I have a Carpenter 1397 and Bob also said the same to me , also on a refresh of the motor by Seve Knecum he put a Vance & Hines chain in it

Back