Man down!  Accident report

WWJD

Donating Member
Registered
Me and a friend were going on a ride tonight before I fly out to PHX at 6am. He has a Triumph Sprint. We were riding along a back country blacktop, minding our own business, no speeding or nuttin, and out of the corner of my eye I spy this fresh new blacktop curving behind a cornfield. "Sweet!" I think and we turn around to go see where it goes. It has 4 or 5 turns in about 1 mile or so and empties onto a main highway. At the end of it we both have that grin, so we turn around and do it again. But this time we hit it a little bit harder, not much cuz, it's kinda tight corners, not those big sweepers or nothing. After a right turn I hammer it straight towards the last left coming up fast and hard. I tap my breaks quickly to warn my buddy to slow down LOTS like I'm doing, but going around the corner, in slow motion, my mind was racing, "Oh crap too fast, going in, LEAN DAMMIT LEAN, add brakes, LEAN MORE, okay it's a smooth ditch with lots of soft grass and some mud, it will hurt, there will be sliding but I've slowed down alot, ahh man the Busa's gonna go down!, keep leaning, 6 inches away from the gravel shoulder, you can do it" all that in like 1.5 seconds, and I made it through! I glance at my mirror to make sure my bud slowed down enough, only to see a spray of gravel and watch him slipping into the open soft ditch. I stopped looking as I scrambled for the kickstand after safely stopping, and ran back to teh scene. His leg was caught under the rear seat but nothing on him was broken. I lifted the bike off him and reached for the 911 but he said he was okay. It was a soft slider and he stood up.

about 30 seconds later I heard the roar of 120 mph wheelie comign down the road. I flagged the crew of 3 over and they helped me push the handicapped Triumph back onto the roadway. push started it a few times, and test rode it around... front forks twisted askew a bit, shifter bent back to unusable. Otherwise, drivable.

Longish story shortened, he rode it back in first gear, went to the hospital: shoulder sort of dislocated, couple ribs maybe cracked, ego bruised, wife very upset, Truimph for sale.

Sorry to bore ya, stuff happens like this sometimes, I think it;s theraputic to share it umongst people who understand..
Thanks for listening.
smile.gif

Now I know this sounds messed up, and I do feel for your friend, I have watched a couple of my own buddies take good hits, but honestly...I am just real Darn Glad it wasn't you...Good Work, and hey maybe you had a helping hand huh?

Again, glad everyone is mostly OK...

I'm glad it wasn't me too!! hehehhehe I know what you mean. He'll be okay.
smile.gif
Sometimes I wonder if I'm not a bad influence witha faster, better bike??? I ALWAYS tell my buds to ride within their limits, but when I'm in front and wanna have MY fun.... ya know? I should just always ride in the very back!

I DID tell him how close *I* came to that one also which was the honest to god truth. But his wife won't care about that. So if ya know anyone wanting a classy looking [after parts replaced] blue Triumph.... that number once again... 555-

;)

I'm glad it wasn't me too!!  hehehhehe  I know what you mean.  He'll be okay.  
smile.gif
 Sometimes I wonder if I'm not a bad influence witha  faster, better bike???  I ALWAYS tell my buds to ride within their limits, but when I'm in front and wanna have MY fun.... ya know?  I should just always ride in the very back!

I DID tell him how close *I* came to that one also which was the honest to god truth.  But his wife won't care about that.  So if ya know anyone wanting a classy looking [after parts replaced] blue Triumph.... that number once again...  555-

;)
I have a thought about getting stressed about folks riding at their own pace. I will usually back way off and sort of take it easy until I get a feel for their comfort level. Though I generally prefer to follow, I don't feel pressured to ride faster than I want, I don't mind playing catch up.

Though I had one buddy throw his 5 hour old F4 down the road wearing my Helmet (thrashed) My leathers (Suede) and absolutely disassembling his ride (totaled with extreme prejudice). Then I nearly got rear ended by a buddy of mine on my Katana. Had to stop quick at night, he was like watching bats or some sh^t. Anyhoo slid by, rear locked tight... clipped my left leg and mirror, then he went off roading a little, but didn't lay his Honda Hawk down.

Glad your OK and i hope your friend heals up well!

Be safe out there everyone,....dropping like flies...

what you went through sounds alot like what had happen to me. but i took the spill. glad to hear that you guys are alright and he was able to walk away from it.

OH NOOO!! THAT SUX!! YEAH AGREED ON GOOD THING HE IS ALRIGHT. TOO BAD FOR THE BIKE BUT I BET THE WIFE RIPPED HIM A NEW ONE. OUCH!! SOMETIMES YOUR JUST GLAD TO BE WHO YOU ARE AND NOT SOMEONE ELSE. LATER.

Sounds like the old saying;"If you're not going to make the corner, just lean it over and look where you want to go." worked again for you. It has saved my butt plenty.

Glad your friend is O.K...You guys that ride the curves be cautious for your riding partners...If they are not up with your skills don't lead them along...Alot of times you can cause someone to ride much hard than they can...give consideration to who and where your riding...It would have been awful if this friend had suffered major injury or death...

Sounds like he should sell his wife not the bike.

I tossed my SV650 away on a left-right S bend. Broke foot.
Snapped shifter, left mirror. Dent in left of tank. Headlight now oval not round. Some scrapes in exhaust can.

Wife says," I guess we can get that Busa now."

biggrin.gif

smile.gif

tounge.gif

wink.gif

cool.gif

thumbs-up.gif

I love my wife!!!

Glad to hear that your buddy wasn't hurt to badly. I hope he is back up and riding soon.

Back