Making oil changes easier

Wag

Evil Demon Busa Rider
Donating Member
Registered
Years ago, I used to use this product on my integra: Oil drain valve

Sure made oil changes a lot easier. I just e-mailed them to see if they've ever heard of anyone using this product on a Busa and I'll post their reply if they send one.

In the meantime, has anyone here had any experience with this product? I'm a little concerned, looking at the picture of it, that it's a little too large to fit into the well where the stock drain plug goes.

--Wag--

I have used the Fram drain plug kit on my Goldwing and loved it...
But there is not enough room under the Busa to use one...
To bad, it does make draining the Earl much easier, faster and cleaner...

David

I'll do it the hard way and get down on my garage floor with a 17 mm wrench and twist it out.

I find filter removal to be the pain, as the HMF header pipes sit a little closer to the filter than the stockers. I found that the pliers style filter wrench (see below) works best. Another problem is the oil dripping down on the header wrap, but I read on here some time ago of somone using aluminum foil over the pipes to deflect the dripping oil...works great!

wrench.jpg

i'd be worried about it getting snapped off some how... Plus it kind of defeats the purpose of a magnetic drain plug...

I was riding once and couldn't believe my eyes when I saw a tank bolt at the front being unscrewed by about 1/4" - that's upward. I didn't want to stop, and managed to screw it all the way back in with my left hand (not tight of course).. to only 10 min later to see it back where it was.
mad.gif

My point is that due to a much stronger vibrations on the bike this whole setup is not worth the risk.

Not to mention that my oil plug is safety wired for the track.

well whats the point? I mean you still have to remove the farring to get to filter anyways.
+1
If you change your oil per the recommendations in the owners manual you only need to change the oil-filter every other change. Not every time. Also if you're changing oil more frequently (after a track day) or something you only need to drop and replace the oil.

So that's where this would be handy in theory but still, it's not too hard to drop an drain plug!

Don't forget to get new Crush washers! They are important and can really help you avoid stripping the pan.

Here's the reply I got to my e-mail.

"All Suzuki motorcycles use 14mm-1.5 drain plug, which is our part # F-106. However, due to the compact design of motorcycle engines, you may or may not be able to install the valve without interfering with the other engine components such as cooling fin. Please take a look at your engine to see if there's enough room for the installation. Attached is a dimensional drawing of the valve to give you the idea.

Thank you.

Norio"

Fumoto_drain_valve.jpg

IIRC, the Busa has a protective flange surrounding the drain bolt. I don't think you could screw this device in there because the mechanism of it would hit the flange.

So much for this idea! Bummer, actually
sad.gif

--Wag--

ohhh and you can change the oil on a busa without takeing off or splitting the ferrings...by weaving the oil filter out though the side openings....so says the dealership when i put the screens on and thier justification for charging me

Back