Making my BUSA feel new again

btreaves

Registered
Well I finally purchased the Glow Polished titanium BDE performance pak from Tom at VelTune. What a great guy to do business with.

Performance pak includes
-BDE "Glow Polished" Titanium exhaust system
-PCII w/ BDE map for 2000 Hayabusa
-Pair block off plates

I love my 2000 BUSA, but these new 1000's have forced me to start upgrading my performance. After 30,000 miles of riding it stock it's well overdue for some attitude. I hope to have everything installed by the weekend. I hope to see between 170-175rwhp (but I'll be happy with 168 or 169rwhp) Last summer my bike dynoed at 153rwhp...BONE STOCK! I just recently had the throttle bodies synced and the valves checked. The valves were fine after 30,000 miles, didn't need any adjustment, but the throttle bodies were out of sync. It's much more responsive now. I also will be installing new kevlar brake lines, new clutch pack, and probably a Zero Gravity Double Bubble wind screen.

If anyone has any tips or advice on the installation of the BDE exhaust and PCII please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

Tips.. get some thermal tape.. true to Hindle's reputation, my installation came so darn close to the plastics, I had some melting issues.. I got my tape at a local automotive performance shop.. nobody else had it. The PC installation is a piece of cake. I mounted mine on the ECU.

I don't have that exhaust. But as haywood said the pc install is cake. I also put mine on the ECU.

BDE install tips? Ok...

28487131.jpg

WD-40 is your FRIEND! Use WD-40 on all the slip joints and pre-fit the whole system together prior to startin' the install. I found some of the joints were just a bit stubborn during the pre-fit but were painless on the install since I done the pre-fit with WD-40 and worked the joints together and back apart.

28487136.jpg

Permatex Ultra Copper gasket material is yer friend as well. My Brock instructions suggested usin' it to install the spigots onto the headers, I suggest (and so does Tom @ Veltune) usin' it on ALL slip joints in the system during install to avoid the possibility of any small leaks. Just makes good sense to do it while you're doin' the install instead of havin' to tear it all back off to fix a leak AFTER the install.
wink.gif

See, now you know that even if there's nobody else there helpin', you're not alone. You've got yer two friends, WD-40 and Ultra Copper by your side!
laugh.gif

Protect that radiator during the install! I used a piece of cardboard to keep me from dingin' the little fins with my hands and wrenches.
wink.gif

23428098.jpg

And the best tip I can give you is... TAKE YOUR TIME DURING THE INSTALL AND BE VERY METHODICAL! Don't get in a hurry, just take it a step at a time and make sure that step is complete and correct before you move to the next. If you have any problems or questions during the install, feel free to PM me or post to the board. You'll prolly get a quicker reply by PM.
wink.gif

Here are the rest of my BDE Hindle install photos if you're interested. Enjoy!
beerchug.gif

http://www.pbase.com/crazytrainbusa/brock_hindle_install

wink.gif

wink.gif

I just took my radiator and oil cooler out during the installation. Clearance was good, I just had to rotate the mid pipe a little to clear the undertail.

Back