making a Hummer more efficient?

:rofl:

Hummers aren't effecient.....when you buy them if you even have the consideration of affording fuel you probably shouldn't buy it. Though I understand where you are coming from, just let him know that and perhaps he will pick up more of the tab.

Don't have toys you can't afford :rulez:

we may be renting a VAN instead to haul two bikes. I didnt mention we usually haul an enclosed 2 axel trailer also :D Yeah, it was over kill, and was fun, but that fun makes no sense now.

when I read the title the first thing that came to mind was "make big promises and don't pay her till the job's done":whistle::cheerleader:

sorry, been a long day:moon:

I'd tell him to sell it and buy a Cummins, my friends with i/e/chip is getting around 20....and at the same time making enough power to destroy that poor transmission :lol:

In all honesty though, from my personal experiences, the best way to improve gas mileage is to change driving habits...

Last edited:
heres what you do put it neutral find a hill that overlooks a cliff and forget to put the parking brake on. then buy a diesel with teh insurance check :whistle:

That bio hummer sounds great but for now you may want to either get a car with a trailer or a pickup with a ramp for loading. The pickups get better mileage than even the the H3 don't understand it myself.

could you reference which one I'm curious I couldn't find it on the website.

Don't remeber the actual title of the episode but they did a show (maybe even two shows) that tested various devices and methods that were purported to increase gas mileage, one of those devices was a hydrogen generator that would port the gas into the fuel/air mix. They got the kit, did the build, and got nothing out of it. The root issue was that the system just couldn't generate enough hydrogen to provide any benefit.

In my own research, limited though it may be and certainly non-expert, it appears that the issues with hydrogen as a fuel are:

1) It's an energy sink, meaning it takes more energy to make than the resultant fuel contains. Although it's massively abundant in nature, it's usually bonded to other elements and must be seperated first. That process is energy intensive and the methods aren't efficient enough to warrant the effort. Long story short, you burn more fossil fuel getting your hydrogen than if you just burned the fossil fuel directly for your true purpose.

2) Portability. Nothing, including hydrogen, travels as easily as gasoline.

PS: Checked out "The Google" and found the following links (and many others) for your perusement. Enjoy!

Unofficial Mythbusters: Episode 53: Exploding Trousers, Great Gas Conspiracy

Why Mythbusters Were Wrong About Hydrogen Generation Hydrogen Hybrid?

Back