Major slip-slide

gsferrari

Registered
Novice Busa riders - take note.

If you are not planning on riding with gear at ALL times - plan for healthy health insurance, medical insurance and have plenty of open "sick leave" days at work.

Dont forget full coverage on the bike.

Mundane activities like "washing and waxing" the bike can lead to complete annihilation if done wrong.

Yesterday I washed my bike and used a "meguiar's" special detergent. Done washing and drying - I ride the bike back to my garage...almost...

Hit a "slicker" patch of tarmac than the others and the rear wheel completely let go. This was at less than 3000rpm!!! Before I knew it the bike was oscillating from left lean to right lean like a crazy drunk. The rear was all over the place. What made it worse was that I was so surprised and pushed forwards on the seat (because the wheelspin is actually a deceleration right...) that I tweaked the throttle a little bit more by accident.

Long story short - what a horrific 3-4 seconds!! It was over in less than 5 seconds but it felt like a lifetime. The bike straightened out and both bike and rider escaped unscathed. This could have gone VERY wrong...no gear (just washing the bike dummy...)

Never again. I will push the bike the 1/4 mile, wash it and push it back to the garage in the future. I cant wear gear to the wash-park so riding is out of the question.

WATCH OUT PEOPLE !!

Sounds like you almost lost her, but kept yer cool. When I read the title, I was expecting injuries, glad that wasn't the case!

It's always when you least expect it! Glad nothing severe happened. What did you put on the tires?

BAAAA. Don't bother washin' - she'll just get dirty again!
face7.gif

day-um GS! i know that near-spills are an eye-opener, but they happen to the best of us, at the worst of times... thats why we call'em accidents.
When you wash the bike, you said u have to take it somewhere...if you're too freaked to drive there anymore, why not buy a couple of big buckets n do it at home? I have a hose 100' away attached to the next apartment complex...i drive up there when I'm doin bike n truck at the same time. If i just give the bike a 'quikie' i fill up a bucket w/soap n scrub'er down quick, then take another bucket that i fill with just water and dump slowly over the bike. Then use a shamois to wipe down n catch any soap i missed.

oh, and tire-shine aint for bikes, unless you wanna practice doin burnouts:p
biggrin.gif

First of all - Meguiar's NXT spray on wax sucks...dont waste your money...

Nothing on the tires. I just washed them with water. The soap must have caused the additional slickness although I did wash the bike thoroughly after.

I think what did me in was the change in traction from the "rough" tarmac to that "slick" patch. I dont gun the bike around inside my apartment complex so this was really unexpected. Tires were also cold. I guess it was a combination of factors. When this bike slides - it is pretty violent and THAT is when the 500lbs really makes itself known. A shorter rider would not have been able to support the weight of the bike as it trashed around from side to side. Shorter and skinnier riders beware...and work those leg muscles for times like this...

The key point is - Gear is sooo important I cannot stress enough.

I think buckets are the way to go. I am not exactly an elegant bike-washer either...prefer to do this stuff in private because when I bend over I display plenty of rear clevage
tounge.gif

< heads off to walmart for buckets and a hose with sheepish look on face...>

<!--EDIT|gsferrari
Reason for Edit: None given...|1150822585 -->

I think buckets are the way to go. I am not exactly an elegant bike-washer either...prefer to do this stuff in private because when I bend over I display plenty of rear clevage
tounge.gif

< heads off to walmart for buckets and a hose with sheepish look on face...>
Too funny!
laugh.gif

yup... new tires and fresh wet will get you every time... Idle walk it if it is farther than a few car lengths and cover the clutch...

This has reinforced my conviction to NEVER ride in rain/wet conditions. If I am riding and it rains...i'll pull over, open my picnic basket (cereal bars) and enjoy nature until it passes...
smile.gif

biggrin.gif
used to be the way I road in Florida when I was first learning... 150000 miles later. I will avoid the fresh wet and be aware of wet in the apex of tight turns and highway ramps.

Lets not forget the fun of crack seal in a curve on a nice hot summer day. But then again, that is a fun thread in itself.

This has reinforced my conviction to NEVER ride in rain/wet conditions. If I am riding and it rains...i'll pull over, open my picnic basket (cereal bars) and enjoy nature until it passes...
smile.gif
Rain riding is not to be feared, just prepared for. Some of the funnest rides I have ever had have been in the rain. It is after all a given where I live that you will ride in the rain, or you will sit in the garage and stare at your bike a lot. Modern tires are so good in the rain it is amazing. Combined with appropriate foul weather gear and a good time can be had by all.

Maybe it's just me but I will avoid riding in the rain whenever possible. Not for the safety factor but for the fact that I hate riding in the rain.

I won't drown my bike with water using a hose. I use a bucket with mild soapy water (don't use the Joy/Dawn liquid dishwashing detergent under the sink folks) and soft rags. Then come back over with a water soaked rag and then a drying rag.

I do use Tire Wet on the sidewalls. Spray it on a sponge or sponge brush, not the tire, and apply carefully as to not get any on the tread side. Looks sharp.

Man, I thought I was the official site gear nazi, glad to have someone else on my side....sometimes I get the feeling everyone is tired of my "gear drivel" but I watched a friend go through skin grafts and it ain't no fun. Just a helmet is not enough! Anyway, good save!

just notice this topic.....sooo hard to believe....!!! if I choose to not take out my `busa cause of rain......I dont think I`d have gotten a chance to drive it yet..... Rain is the norm over here in Ireland......actually , lots of rain is more frequent... Must say though....I find it`s handling in the rain very inspiring...much better than the lighter sports bikes I`ve owned...
drink.gif
drink.gif
race.gif

drink.gif

I don't even use that much water. Just a spray bottle with a little Simple Green in it and then another spray bottle with some water in it. Plenty of soft rags and it's a piece of cake you can do in your garage.

Faster and easier, too.

--Wag--

Yeah...no more water. I am worried it is all going inside somewhere and rusting sh*t out.

I'll spray on water, soap, spray on some more water, wax, buff and be done with it in less than 1 hour.

Can I ride through a car wash with scuba gear on?
tounge.gif

smile.gif
I've rode in rain plenty in the past..its really not that bad....you just need decent rubber and watch/feel the road surface and you'll be fine. Just don't ride like you would on a bone dry day
wow.gif
wink.gif

Back