Maiden Voyage - Thoughts and Pictures

Trout

Registered
I know some of you are into drag racing and bar hopping, but my love is the open road. I usually won't even get my gear out unless I can put a hundred miles on the bike. I've had this bike for a few weeks now, and spent some quality time with her getting some issues taken care of. You know, leaky fork seals, dirty chain, and all that. I haven't actually done a real ride until today.

My friend had the day off, so I left work at noon and we headed up the hill. The road to Lowman was pretty rough in spots, and had all the leftover sand from winter, but we just took it easy and plugged along. I really wanted to ride as tame as possible to see what my mileage potential is on this bike. That's one of the first things I try to figure out on a new bike is the fuel range and when the low fuel light comes on.

Here are some random notes:

I need a seat. I've never owned a bike that had a decent enough stock seat. This bike is no exception. I'm still wondering if I should go with a Corbin, Tobin, or one of the custom touring options like Russell or Mayer.

I think that helibars will make the long roads more comfortable. I'll probably order a set tomorrow.

I like the pegs just fine where they are.

I like the windshield. I'm really tired of trying to find a shield solution (in general). I had no less than 7 windshield options for my last bike. I'm just going to be happy with the stock Suzuki shield for now.

I checked the mileage, both with the on-board calculator and by hand (miles divided by gallons). I was surprised that the computer got it so close.

Indicated: 48.6 mpg
Measured: 48.68 mpg

Here are a few shots from the trip:

View attachment 1555913
View attachment 1555914
View attachment 1555915
View attachment 1555916
View attachment 1555917

If you can find one. I loved the Suzuki gel seat. Not the silver one, Suzuki offered two different gel seats for the gen 1. I was not a fan of the Corbin seat and sold that off ASAP.

Ive got a Tobin/New image, its harder than stock but shaped a bit more "Butt Like" and the black/silver gel set was hard as a rock under my butt, just my 02 on that.

Good pics and keep em coming:beerchug:

glad you got to get out for a bit and enjoyed the ride, thanks for sharing the pics :beerchug:

I have the Tobin as well. For what you are doing it would be great. I have had mine for 5 years now and it does seem to be getting a little hard. I have tried a few more but still keep going back to the Tobin. As far as the pegs, If you put a Tobin seat you will want to change to the buel peg because you will sit down in the bike more. O great pics by the way :laugh: we never get tired of them :thumbsup:

I forgot a couple of notes and observations (complaints)...

The mirrors are as useless as tits on a boar hog... unless I need a good look at my elbows.

The front brakes are disappointing. I expected more from a pair of 6-piston calipers. They are weak compared to the Brembo's on my old BMW. Maybe I just need to get some braided lines. Maybe the pads have some residual oil from the leaky fork seals. I just know that I couldn't do a stoppie if my life depended on it.

Sounds like you got in a good run :thumbsup: Great pics too...love that blue Busa :bowdown:

I've got a Tobin, but I actually liked the stock seat and would have been happy keeping it, so I can't offer up much about seats. I love the stock screen too, but attributed that to the fact that I'm not a tall rider and the taller guys just seem to gravitate toward the taller windshields. Sounds like you have a list of mods...enjoy customizing her :thumbsup:

Glad you got a good ride in. If you keep it close to 4K in sixth you'll probably get a little better mileage, but then again you didn't buy a Busa for gas mileage :laugh: ........ right :poke:

I know some of you are into drag racing and bar hopping, but my love is the open road. I usually won't even get my gear out unless I can put a hundred miles on the bike. I've had this bike for a few weeks now, and spent some quality time with her getting some issues taken care of. You know, leaky fork seals, dirty chain, and all that. I haven't actually done a real ride until today.

My friend had the day off, so I left work at noon and we headed up the hill. The road to Lowman was pretty rough in spots, and had all the leftover sand from winter, but we just took it easy and plugged along. I really wanted to ride as tame as possible to see what my mileage potential is on this bike. That's one of the first things I try to figure out on a new bike is the fuel range and when the low fuel light comes on.

Here are some random notes:

I need a seat. I've never owned a bike that had a decent enough stock seat. This bike is no exception. I'm still wondering if I should go with a Corbin, Tobin, or one of the custom touring options like Russell or Mayer.

I think that helibars will make the long roads more comfortable. I'll probably order a set tomorrow.

I like the pegs just fine where they are.

I like the windshield. I'm really tired of trying to find a shield solution (in general). I had no less than 7 windshield options for my last bike. I'm just going to be happy with the stock Suzuki shield for now.

I checked the mileage, both with the on-board calculator and by hand (miles divided by gallons). I was surprised that the computer got it so close.

Indicated: 48.6 mpg
Measured: 48.68 mpg
As long as you leave the gearing stock the odometer and fuel mileage readout will be pretty accurate, although the speedo will be high about 7%. Vehicles are required by law to have accurate odo's, but I think the bike makers purposely make the speedo's read high to keep us slowed down a bit for legal/liability reasons. Thats been highly debated over the years on here lol. And if you don't do any performance modding your mileage will stay good as well. Once you start modding all that changes tho :laugh: The busa is a great sport touring bike with a few mods like you mentioned. Enjoy :thumbsup:

Get you some braided lines and HH pads and you will stop on a dime. I have had a Tobin and a Corbin and cant say I like one over the other for comfort, except the Tobin made me feel more planted. The corbin lets me slide around a bit, which is fine for corner carving. I also like open road and we tour on ours most of the time.

Back