Magic Jack

I have one. Don't really use it much because its the older model that needs the cpu on to work. Really don't to leave my desktop on to have thephone working. Believe I would use it more if I had the newer model that doesn't require the cpu to be kn to work.

As far as quality goes, it works pretty well for voip communications go. You sill notice a down grade in quality if you overwhelm the bandwith of your internet access. It took a lot for me to do that so I hardly had any issues with that. In fact, we used to be stream movies from netflix, surf the web on the laptop and also talk on mj at the same time with barely any issues.

I had one of the old ones with the computer. I didn't keep it long before it got on my nerves, the call quality was crap and there was a delay you had to deal with. The newer ones may be better...mine was about 5 years ago

I had the one you plugged into your computer for a year back in 2008. It worked fine. But I agree the new ones that just plug into a network cable and don't require a computer are probably better. As mentioned before, the more bandwidth you have the better the quality will be.

I've been running the one that needs a PC for 3 years or more. It works very well, excellent voice quality, on my Comcast 28 MB line. I just connect it to an old PC, plug it into my network, and let it run 'til the PC croaks, then hook up another old PC.

I bought the one that doesn't need a PC, couldn't get it to work. There tech support couldn't either, and I know networking. I sent it back for a refund. Test your VOIP quality at MyConnection Server, speed testing, Video and IPTV testing, speed capacity testing, network assessment testing, network route performance, VoIP quality testing

I've had both MJ and MJ+ and have been pretty happy with them. I used to have to reboot PC every once and a while on the old one due to a memory leak in their software. The new one has frozen up a couple times in the last year or so and had to be power cycled. I always know since I'll pick up one of my cordless phones and it says "Line Disconnected" (or something). Pull the power, plug it back in, back in business. I bought ahead for like 10 years so am paying about $1.50 a month for phone. At that price I can live with a few quirks. :) All in all, well worth it, IMO.

Later,
Gonz

Back