Made it into 6.5's...getting faster.

Quicker Gixxer

Registered
I installed an air shifter yesterday..(had a quickshifter)...it helped me cut nearly .5 from my best time to date. I'm pretty sure I could have cut even more but I'm having the dreaded 2nd gear issue. I had some great launches that didn't mean squat because I dropped out of 2nd and shut it down...:banghead: I'm gonna get the gears backcut and hopefully that will take care of that.

IMG_20130920_223138_726 (1).jpg

Increase the kill time on your shifter. Did it jump out when foot shfting?? If not, then you need more ms of kill for the 1-2 shift

there are a few places that cut the gears...1 additional option is a bigger output shaft...means buying new front sprockets...just cheap...not really...insurance...when I had mine done it was just the up shift side....if you road race where down shifting is critical I believe that is also available...FBG did mine...not to say what is cheaper or who will give you a better deal based on your location. I would walk you through the steps to get the eng out...split the cases etc...if you pay shipping back I'll send you the cut sockets to drop the eng out of the frame...it is an easy winter project

Increase the kill time on your shifter. Did it jump out when foot shfting?? If not, then you need more ms of kill for the 1-2 shift

No..I can foot shift fine using the clutch. I went up to 125ms...still no luck. I think I might be shifting too soon sometimes...I read that for 1st to 2nd it works better closer to redline, maybe due to power dropping off some? I'm gonna try that today...if that doesn't work I'm going to relocate the switch closer to the cylinder.

there are a few places that cut the gears...1 additional option is a bigger output shaft...means buying new front sprockets...just cheap...not really...insurance...when I had mine done it was just the up shift side....if you road race where down shifting is critical I believe that is also available...FBG did mine...not to say what is cheaper or who will give you a better deal based on your location. I would walk you through the steps to get the eng out...split the cases etc...if you pay shipping back I'll send you the cut sockets to drop the eng out of the frame...it is an easy winter project

There's a guy locally who will do it for about $450....and he's good. I'll probably go that route if it comes to it ...but thanks.

Fixed it...adjusted the throw on the cylinder just a hair, it didn't have enough room to slam it up into 2nd. Runs like a scalded dog :)

So maybe your Quickshifter could have worked better with more adjustments?

Yes..definitely. I had problems getting into 2nd with just the quick-shifter as well, but that was probably the kill time. Even after I made the adjustment on the air shift cylinder...I still had to go up to 110ms (it was at 65ms originally which is the stock setting)....so that was the issue with the quickshifter. I still wanted to put the full CO2 shifter on it so I could just drag my legs and get into 2nd. I kept the quick-shifter in place...and use it as my kill box, rather then tearing it all out and spending more for a kill box with my CO2 shifter. It's the best of both worlds...I have CO2 for shifting at the track, and I still have airless quick shifting for daily riding. :cheerleader:

Back