Made it back out to the track friday night. Looking for some knowledge

89mustang

Registered
Its was the first time I've been to the track with co2 shifter. I was a little disappointed with my times. I didn't really seem to gain any et or mph. In fact i lost on both. I checked DA it was around 1665'.

It could be the clutch, but it only has around 25-30 passes on it. It also has all the heavy brocks springs in it. My stack height was 1.97 which I was told is ok. A gentleman at the track said its with in spec but at 1.96 it start slipping.

Another reason could be my MR12 went bad. I just opened that can the end of may. Besides being in the bike. It always in vp's container in the garage.

I was happy with my 60's all 1.44's I know there is improvement there. I'm pretty cosistent to the 1/8 right around 5.87-5.91. 330's are all just about the same too. The back half is killing me. Best pass of the night was 9.14@149. I went faster foot shifting in June. Last pass friday night mph was 144???Any thoughts on what my problem maybe? Thank you in advance

You can tell if a clutch is slipping by how the tach reacts when shifting. Sure, it might slip a little and you don't see it there, but I've always been able to detect slippage that was impacting my et's that way.

Do you have any timeslips from pump gas? Might be worth trying that for comparison. Also, don't go by one day to determine if something is wrong. I've had bad days that can't be explained. Next time out might fine. I wouldn't expect the air shifter to make much difference if you are doing a good job with the foot shift.

Thanks for the input Dennis! I didn't notice or feel it slipping. Bike felt like it was pulling hard and then I'd get the ticket ???. It totally could be the gas. I was just frustrated Friday night with it. I had a good feeling for an 8.99-9.0 pass. It didn't matter what I tried either.

I haven't made any passes with pump gas since last year. I'm might just do that next time out. I would guess It could probably hurt the times if the gas was bad.

Thanks for the kind words on the foot shifting! I wasn't expecting a huge difference but something from the air shifter.
I'll keep plugging away at it. Goal this year is a 8.90's pass @64"

8.90's aren't easy at 64"! It's a worthy goal. If your gas is bad the pump gas might not hurt you at all. That would be a good piece of information to have.

Only reason I went with co2 shifter is to try and keep the boost spooled. I dont know that I will see an improvement either. Im hoping so. 60' at 1.44, hell I would be dancing a jig to do that :)

Just need an 8.99 Dennis haha. it'll probably take some cool fall air to get it.

Kevin what kinda of set up do you have?

gen 1 at 7psi, stock otherwise. 17/44t (may be too much, might go to a 42). All track runs I did were 4" back and wheelied so bad I couldn't really do anything but come off the line like a stop light at 3k and 60% throttle and WOT right before shift to 2nd. I haven't made it to the track since I put a new swing arm on and I had it at 10" which I changed my mind after a few mock street runs to move back to 8" last night. I hope to make it to the track Wednesday night for test n tune if weather permits. I still need tuning on my co2 shifter as my regulator doesn't seem to be the same psi every time I open it. For instance, I had it set at 120 and it was doing it and then I opened it a half hour later and it was 150. I don't know if that is a big deal but I don't want to damage the solenoid or something.

Edit: Going to strap down front like you guys said. I was stubborn but if everyone is doing it, I will. I wanted to stay with SWB until I found out that wouldn't work and had to accept change there too.

120 is ok if it works, 150 is fine. Depending on what gas you are using you will see some variation in pressure as temperature changes. C02 is more stable than nitrous for pressure and it is better on the regulator. I expect about 10 psi change with C02 and easily 20 to 30 psi change with nitrous. Who cares about the solenoid, you should have a spare anyway. The bigger deal is not using too much pressure and bending a fork in the trans.

You'll like the strap.

I'm headed back to the track tonight to see if it was bad mr12. I have a fresh can I'm not opening until I get there!

It was definitely the gas. Ran 9.teen and 9.0's tonight. Ran outta co2 on what would've been my best pass. It wouldn't shift into 3rd:banghead:! I ran my best pass tonight if only improving by a couple thousandths haha. It was a 9.0618

I'm getting closer to my goal of that 8.99. I have some ground to cover still. This is only the 4th time out with the arm still need some more seat time.

I was also talking to a few guys at the track saying that after the 1/8th mile the track isnt cured still yet. They re-did themwhole track this spring I'm not going to use that as a crutch but it might be hurting me as well

Ordering a quick turn throttle and going to put a new set of plugs in it. I figure it couldn't hurt it's still got the originals in it.

Back