Made a mistake changing my oil.

I feel your pain. Happened to me last year and lesson learned. Get an new pan and torque wrench and be done with it.
Posted via Mobile Device

I never thought i would do this but i did. I tried to rethread it but what i didnt know and this could happen so be aware, is that not only did i bust the thread i also cracked the oil pan and had to have it welded. Make sure before you spend the money on rethreading it that it aint cracked

Just buy a proper size bit to go with the tap and you'll eliminate the cracking problem.

It does it at idle, cold and warm. If I rev up the rpm's it doesnt do it at all.

might be nothing, might be the tensioner, it may have worked loose
by the way sorry about the stripping of the bolt, characteristic of our machines

Yeah I went to a shop and they said the tensioner was loose. As far as the stipped drain plug, I just need to get a one size up self tapping drain plug so I can just screw it in as normal. Problem I have is finding out what the factory drain plugs thread pitch is. I even called Suzuki, and they said that is a specification that they dont even have. I have read some where that it is 14mmx1.25. Not sure if this is true or not. So if anyone knows, please let me know. I also tried finding a one size up drain bolt to this size, but nobody seems to have it. I went to six different autopart stores, and three different motorcycle shops, and they didnt have it either.

Just stripped mine tonight, with a torque wrench. Off to the stealer tomorrow, then to Sears to have the wrench replaced. :/

Sent from my HTC Evo using Tapatalk and furious fingers

Great thing about helicoils in aluminum is they are much stronger than the base material and will last forever. Highly suggest you have one installed by the shop. They are pretty easy to do by yourself also cause they come in a kit with the drill and insertion tool.

I need to buy a new crush washer for mine the next time I change the oil.

I've not had good luck replacing the crush washer with the OEM crush washer. The torque specs will not crush it properly.

O'reilys has synthetic crush washers (about 4 different kinds) and the green ones work great~!~

I eliminate all drain plug problems by drilling the plug for safety wire when the bike is new. I then lower the torque specs from 23nm to 15nm and safety wire that puppy. I change the oil after every other track day and have never had a drain plug problem.

"I have all the oil in there now, and it is slowly dripping from the drain plug"...sure you ride a busa?? maybe you should be on the Harley forum lol..

just messing with ya. I've stripped mine as well, i feel ya pain.

Now the timing chain is causing a knock.... It does it at idle, cold and warm. If I rev up the rpm's it doesnt do it at all.
???

This just doesn't sound correct...... a loose timing chain (if that's what it is) doesn't really cause a "knock" as much as it gives off a "bag of marbles" sound at idle.

When this occurs, it is far more likely that it's the cam chain tensioner (CCT) that is worn, vice a problem with the timing chain itself.

But if you are hearing a pronounced "knock" at idle, that is probably another issue.

Maybe you can record a sound bite for us and slap it up on YouTube.... both when the engine is cold, and warm, and try several different RPM ranges (in addition to idle).

Get a self tapping drain bolt man and it will go straight in and that will solve that problem .
As far as the knock, I fixed the problem. It was the cam chain tensioner. I am now problem free with the bike lol.

i stripped mine 2yrs. ago and i bought a new oil pan and put it in myself. not too bad to install but time consuming and i lost about $50 of amsoil and a $150 oil pan. now, i use my torque wrench($50) every time i change the oil because i don't like making the same mistake twice.

Yeah I lost about 50 dollars of amsoil as well. I didnt put the cap back on, and the bike fell over when I was trying to put it back on the stand. I was pissed. But crap happens.

been there ,done that too.
i went one size up on the bolt , and put it in very gingerly.
its holding the oil in well. no leaks under long rides.
but i dont know what will happen on my next oil change.
gotta get out and buy that tourque wrench still!

been there ,done that too.
i went one size up on the bolt , and put it in very gingerly.
its holding the oil in well. no leaks under long rides.
but i dont know what will happen on my next oil change.
gotta get out and buy that tourque wrench still!

This is my exact worry. Im letting a shop change my oil next time, and if its jacked up, I'll be like dude what yall do, it was fine before lol. Either way it should be fine taking it out and screwing it back in as long as we dont cross thread it.

Heli coil or time cert. I did it earlier this season. Now I have a fixed pan and a spare just in case. Don't go riding with that leak. Better to drain it and patiently fix it than go blow it up. Make sure to get a new torque wrench and be careful not to break the oil pan bolts. I broke a few. Patience is the key if you plan to work on these machines yourself.

Heli coil or time cert. I did it earlier this season. Now I have a fixed pan and a spare just in case. Don't go riding with that leak. Better to drain it and patiently fix it than go blow it up. Make sure to get a new torque wrench and be careful not to break the oil pan bolts. I broke a few. Patience is the key if you plan to work on these machines yourself.
Thanks man. I fixed a while ago. Its good to go. Yeah I love to do as much work as I can on my own. Only way to learn lol.

Back