M.unit blue

there are a lot of hardcore racers here along with old school guys...
That's me, old school hardcore racer. Won my 1st Championship in 1994. If it doesn't make it faster/quicker/more consistent or safer, it doesn't get put on the bike PERIOD. Full stop

FB_IMG_1534720935335.jpg

Wow, thats a sweet car man. What is that? Looks like a fun life tho!
The best this thing could offer u would be a flashing brake light.. lol which would be a $30 module.. and an emergency brake flashing upon hard decel.
The lightened wiring harness only dropped me about 3 pounds...
Maybe the rfid chip thru ur phone for security, and make available a hazard light option if u have an 03 or older like me..
Not worth $379 lol

Wow! Looks u made one of the slowest mustangs of all time the quickest! Very cool.
While reading ur post, I thought of something I always tell my wife. Whenever she buys anything, I always tell her, "that doesnt make my car any faster!" Insinuating it is worthless of course!
Troy

Surprised Arch hasn't chimed in on this thread. He was talking about installing something similar to this a while back (possibly Neutrino or PDM60?). Not on my list personally, but I dig the concept.

I have trouble figuring out which button to hit for the horn and blinker cancel on the bikes I already own. Can't believe it is not a standard on all bikes tw. Can't imagine all them buttons and actually hitting the one you thought was correct!
Troy
and you fly aircraft???

Surprised Arch hasn't chimed in on this thread. He was talking about installing something similar to this a while back (possibly Neutrino or PDM60?). Not on my list personally, but I dig the concept.

Was watching this and it's interesting. The neutrino and PDM60 do some of these things but they are more or less aux power blocks. This appears to be more of an alternate system for lighting functions that adds some modern features to your older bike. Interesting possibilities. Great to see people going beyond the standard mods we all do!

wow! thats a lot to remember, some great features there.
Are you an auto electrician by trade?
Ya def alot of stuff, and motogadget is prob coming out with some new stuff in the future.
Id be interested in even one more distribution block such as the PDM60 for accessories.
And not an electrician per se but i took shop in high school and been a 'backyard mechanic' ever since, started writing service at 17 and by 29 now ive advised for a few auto manufacturers. Def learned alot along the way by needing to relay the info to the customers properly, always wanted to know exactly i was talking about. Now my dream is my own bike shop here in the PNW or Florida somewhere :)
so, self taught to answer ur question lol

Was watching this and it's interesting. The neutrino and PDM60 do some of these things but they are more or less aux power blocks. This appears to be more of an alternate system for lighting functions that adds some modern features to your older bike. Interesting possibilities. Great to see people going beyond the standard mods we all do!
Glad u got to see it man.
For the $ idk if it was worth it, the lighting features could have been achieved thru a aux power block honestly, but i really do enjoy it being a part of the ignition starting sequences, and it was a good feeling chopping off ALL the fuses and relays haha except starter and fuel pump relay of course.
But on our fuel inj and coiled bikes, it seems the only way for this to manage the entire system is to use fuel pump for aux 2, and fan for aux 1, leaving no extra circuit options for accessories.
Cant remember how the neutrino fits in but the pdm60 only would have done the same right, leaving the need for 2 units if you have many acessories to power?
Or i suppose i could have just kept the stripped down engine harness as power, then merely ran power unlock to the module, then only used it for lighting and had three aux's of power (one output aux1, two outputs aux2).

does it still run?
Does the bike run? Yes, fully

So, what exactly is this thing? Looks like something that allows you to add an unnecessary amount of buttons, switches, and wires.
It is technically a lighting module and a power distribution block. It was designed for old custom bikes in order to manage the electrical system.
It can be configured to operate everything on the bike with only 4 buttons, or your oem buttons, whatever, etc.. and it uses way less wires.
One side of the module is inputs, which sense a ground, thus turning on the respective output. 2 wires per circuit (not including 1 the main ground they all tie to)
All circuits are managed in my trunk space now and each has their own breaker, also each have their own configuration settings (the videos above show the settings i chose). These can all be monitored, adjusted, and viewed on the fly via Bluetooth to smartphone.
and again i repeat.. the crazy toddler buttons DO NOT COME with the unit lol i simply installed those because i like how they look and so i could have options with aftermarket accessories.
Other people have 3 tier 2post switches they add and attach to clutch perch, this is the same, it just looks funnier lol
Also, my phone is my rfid chip. I program how close to the bike it activates, it responds with full powerup via bluetooth response. If phone dies, i use key like normal person lol
I set up the bike now with 2 wiring harness'. 1 to operate fully the engine and fan, etc. And another harness that runs the lights, which can be completely removed by 3 connectors if need be.

In essence, it brings the capability of modern technology to outdated or custom bikes (see Revival cycles).

Is it necessary? No
Should u buy it? Prob not lol
Is it cool and am i glad to have done this as a project? F**k yerrr

Bike technology is maturing. A lot of power distribution is monitored by computers and digital circuit breakers are replacing fuses. This has a lot of advantages, not the least of all being reduced complexity and wiring. The idea is that objects on the power grid draw power and the computer monitors that to analyze whether it is operating in spec or not, including a short. For example, when most electrical systems fail, there are tale tale signs something is going wrong, usually changes in the current draw of the device. If you learn the signs of failure you can get pretty amazing at predicting failures.

Right now many bikes are still using 2 wire systems (rather than a hot wire and common ground). Most riders use their bikes in a pretty limited range (short or long rides, summer or winter, etc.), so they don't think much about reconfiguring them. I reconfigure mine constantly. Adding heated gear, adding radar, cameras, hard drives, and so on. So being able to control power is a major PIA. Products like this and the PDM60 & Neutrino make life much easier. Control over configuration from your cell is a really nice addition too.

I find that Busa guys are not nearly as "can they see me" paranoid as other riders (BMW riders are obsessed). If you do want to be seen better, intelligent lights are the way and you probably have a pile of spaghetti under your seat of flasher modules. This seems like a pretty good solution to that.

This stuff won't make you go any faster, for sure. But a lot of us subscribe to the Batman Utility Belt view of motorcycles and we want a solution on tap for a lot of things that frankly never happen, Lol! But it's fun to experiment and really cool when you find something that makes things work better.

Bike technology is maturing. A lot of power distribution is monitored by computers and digital circuit breakers are replacing fuses. This has a lot of advantages, not the least of all being reduced complexity and wiring. The idea is that objects on the power grid draw power and the computer monitors that to analyze whether it is operating in spec or not, including a short. For example, when most electrical systems fail, there are tale tale signs something is going wrong, usually changes in the current draw of the device. If you learn the signs of failure you can get pretty amazing at predicting failures.

Right now many bikes are still using 2 wire systems (rather than a hot wire and common ground). Most riders use their bikes in a pretty limited range (short or long rides, summer or winter, etc.), so they don't think much about reconfiguring them. I reconfigure mine constantly. Adding heated gear, adding radar, cameras, hard drives, and so on. So being able to control power is a major PIA. Products like this and the PDM60 & Neutrino make life much easier. Control over configuration from your cell is a really nice addition too.

I find that Busa guys are not nearly as "can they see me" paranoid as other riders (BMW riders are obsessed). If you do want to be seen better, intelligent lights are the way and you probably have a pile of spaghetti under your seat of flasher modules. This seems like a pretty good solution to that.

This stuff won't make you go any faster, for sure. But a lot of us subscribe to the Batman Utility Belt view of motorcycles and we want a solution on tap for a lot of things that frankly never happen, Lol! But it's fun to experiment and really cool when you find something that makes things work better.

Well said. Eliminating the oem fuses/relays has made any future electrical troubleshooting very convenient, especially now ive split the light harness is separate from the engine.
Safety is key for me, and convenience.
I have gained canceling and more noticeable turn signals, a flash to pass, My brake light is now annoying (noticeable). The electric fan has a button. A secret combo to start (security). The rectifier is now on its own circuit. an rfid. Among a few other things.
All in that name of safety and interesting projects

and you fly aircraft???

Haha! I fly 3 different versions of the Airbus A320 series concurrently. The cockpits are nearly identical. In the heat of the moment and u need to reach for a certain control, it is always in the same spot. Like the horn on a bike, no time to look around and try to remember if it was the lower red, middle blue or yellow. You have never hit the horn trying to cancel the blinkers?
Troy

Thanks man! I really got a lot out of that Arch.
Man I thought I was doing well adding a radar detector, USB input, battery tender input, LED tail lamp. I feel like I know nothing after getting into this thread lol.

Well all progress gets more complex before it gets simpler. Tinkering with things on a bike are so frustrating because you could so easily make it simple and professional but you have to work with what you can cobble together.

Back