Lucy doing what the internet says isn’t possible

Boosted Cycle Perf

Donating Member
Site Sponsor
Registered
I’m pretty sure this is a record for the most HP ever made on a factory stock gen 2 hayabusa.

(Pump gas wastegate 4.8 psi 258hp previously)
X98 wastegate 281hp
X98 7.4 psi 308 hp
X98 9.4 psi 330 hp

I’ve waited years to try this, and I’ve learned a few things because of it.

1. I did find the max boost for stock valve springs. If you look at the dyno graph on the 9psi pull its about 500rpm shorter then the lower boost runs. If run all the way to 11,600 rpm power started to drop only slightly. Even running to 11,100 rpm you can see at the very end power is just starting not to follow the trends of the other two runs.

2. Knowing I was going to be on the limits of the stock head gasket, and head bolts I tuned in 500rpm increments and kept close tabs on the level of the coolant. When I made the pull to 8500rpm which is where it ended up making peak torque on 7psi, it appeared to push a little bit of water. Makes sense as peak torque is where cylinder pressures are at their highest. I ramped a bit of timing out before peak torque and then back in after and never appeared to have pushed water again even after repeating the tuning process at 9.5 psi, and 4 or 5 1/4 mile hits on the dyno.

If anyone can show that it’s been documented somewhere that a factory stock gen 2 Busa has made more power please share. This definitely isn’t a simple just turn the boost up and keep the afr’s in check kind of situation. There’s many other variables I had to keep my eye on to make sure it stayed together. There’s no telling how long it will last like this, but I’d like to make a few visits to the track before i do anything to the engine. I know the rods will be fine, but if I can keep it out of the limiter I think it will last a little while.

Another cool thing worth noting is the bike actually has factory injectors. However I modified the secondaries. So now they flow 70lbs vs 23lbs in stock form.

And lastly, I’m using boost control through the stock ecu as well. Years ago a lot of guys were against it saying the boost was inconsistent and wavy. This is true if you if your settings aren’t correct. But more importantly it depends on what brand/model of boost control solenoid you’re using. I’ve found one particular model thats deadly consistent when used with the stock ecu even if you’re settings aren’t spot on.

Wait till you see what’s up my sleeve next.

If the internet says it can't be done, then you must be lying...... :poke: :poke:
I wonder who will respond to this thread and what they will say? Might get interesting.

I know conventional wisdom on a Gen 1 says anything over 300 and you're taking chances with the rods, are Gen 2 rods stronger?

Been following Lucy ..
Watched this and thought "wow, that's so cool"

Then suddenly thought, your "tackle" is way to close to be doing this :)

I think some will say this is a useless exercise and just because Lucy has been lucky so far she is destined to blow up and does not represent a streetable motorcycle. I would say BS to that. BCP is finding out some interesting data on what this setup can take and what happens as the bike begins to fail. I found that part most interesting. Ultimately this is going to lead to a more reliable, less expensive 300 HP build. It's great that someone is putting the time in to collect this knowledge.

Pretty amazing stuff. Cool that you are playing with the bike and letting us watch in real time more or less. Thanks for keeping us in the loop!
You’re welcome.

If the internet says it can't be done, then you must be lying...... :poke: :poke:
I wonder who will respond to this thread and what they will say? Might get interesting.

I know conventional wisdom on a Gen 1 says anything over 300 and you're taking chances with the rods, are Gen 2 rods stronger?

Indeed it could, and already has been on the internet.

On my stock piston and rod gen 1 I ran it at 350hp for 10k miles. I think gen 2 rods are better. Even still, if I do a sock piston and rod base spacer build on a gen 2 I always cap them at 320hp MAX. I must keep customers safety in mind.

This being my personal bike, I have no problem pushing limits as it’s no fault but my own if something goes bad. I’d really like to go to the track tomorrow but I want to compression check the engine to make sure nothing changed, and put a catch can on the crankcase along with hook the overflow tank up to another tank just in case something happens. We’re in uncharted territory now, so I want to keep things as safe as possible if the head gasket let’s go.

10 years ago, you “couldn’t” make more then 5 or 600hp on a stock LS engine yet, here we are with guys running in to the 7s at over 1000whp on junkyard engines now. This has always been vastly interesting to me, and something I’ve networked with the guys doing that over the years. After being successful over the years with making over 1k HP on my own junkyard ls I felt like it’s time to try the same tuning theory on this engine platform. So far so good. Could it blow up tomorrow? Yes. Will we learn something if it does? Absolutely? As long as we do, it’s not all for nothing. I have stock parts for days. If we can get to a point to where it’s agreed a stock engine can be pushed harder safely, I’m all for it.

Been following Lucy ..
Watched this and thought "wow, that's so cool"

Then suddenly thought, your "tackle" is way to close to be doing this :)

Thank you!

Cool stuff. Impressive. I wonder what "others" have to say about this. (sponsors).
Funny you say this. On other media platforms I’ve already been heckled with the “you can’t do this, it won’t work...” but I have the data to back it up sooooooo... yeah.

I've heard that Gen II rods are good to 300hp give or take so I'm sure with a good tune, especially timing they will go the distance.
I'm pretty surprised with the valve train, common belief is the stock Ti exhaust valves and 43 lb. springs would not hold up to turbo pressure.
Good stuff indeed.

I think some will say this is a useless exercise and just because Lucy has been lucky so far she is destined to blow up and does not represent a streetable motorcycle. I would say BS to that. BCP is finding out some interesting data on what this setup can take and what happens as the bike begins to fail. I found that part most interesting. Ultimately this is going to lead to a more reliable, less expensive 300 HP build. It's great that someone is putting the time in to collect this knowledge.

I fully expect lots of hate from this. But I can put money on most of those people don’t have any hard data to back up their claims. That’s exactly why I’m doing this. All of my years of doing this, I’ve always just spewed out what I’ve read over the years. There’s definitely a safety margin in there, and as a business owner that’s the smart way to go. But could we do better? Let’s see.

A customer just picked up his 260hp rcc stage 1 stock engine x98 build today. I showed him what Lucy did and right away he wanted to go back on the dyno and up the boost. Right away I said that’s not a good idea as we’re in the infancy of what these engines can really handle. Maybe a few years from now we can bump it up to 6psi as a standard on a gen 2. But until then, 4psi it is.

I've heard that Gen II rods are good to 300hp give or take so I'm sure with a good tune, especially timing they will go the distance.
I'm pretty surprised with the valve train, common belief is the stock Ti exhaust valves and 43 lb. springs would not hold up to turbo pressure.
Good stuff indeed.

I’ve been rolling out base spacer 320hp gen 2s for years and have yet to have one come back with broke rods... or broke in general. Most of those have been on pump gas with RCC ultra plenums which really helps make the safety margin even greater.

Truth be told, the stock titanium valves have done very well in 500+hp apps. I have yet to have one fail. This was brought to my attention by carpenter racing who does the cnc work for my warhead set ups. And long as you have good valve springs, and the tune is in check the titanium valve seem to do just fine.

You’re welcome.

Indeed it could, and already has been on the internet.

On my stock piston and rod gen 1 I ran it at 350hp for 10k miles. I think gen 2 rods are better. Even still, if I do a sock piston and rod base spacer build on a gen 2 I always cap them at 320hp MAX. I must keep customers safety in mind.

This being my personal bike, I have no problem pushing limits as it’s no fault but my own if something goes bad. I’d really like to go to the track tomorrow but I want to compression check the engine to make sure nothing changed, and put a catch can on the crankcase along with hook the overflow tank up to another tank just in case something happens. We’re in uncharted territory now, so I want to keep things as safe as possible if the head gasket let’s go.

10 years ago, you “couldn’t” make more then 5 or 600hp on a stock LS engine yet, here we are with guys running in to the 7s at over 1000whp on junkyard engines now. This has always been vastly interesting to me, and something I’ve networked with the guys doing that over the years. After being successful over the years with making over 1k HP on my own junkyard ls I felt like it’s time to try the same tuning theory on this engine platform. So far so good. Could it blow up tomorrow? Yes. Will we learn something if it does? Absolutely? As long as we do, it’s not all for nothing. I have stock parts for days. If we can get to a point to where it’s agreed a stock engine can be pushed harder safely, I’m all for it.

On other media platforms I’ve already been heckled with the “you can’t do this, it won’t work...” but I have the data to back it up sooooooo... yeah.
I'm glad you think like that, and are willing to share your findings with us. I've never been in a position to push the envelope and learn from the failures of tuning, but I'm fascinated by the idea.

I'm glad you think like that, and are willing to share your findings with us. I've never been in a position to push the envelope and learn from the failures of tuning, but I'm fascinated by the idea.

Anytime I build a turbo bike, an/or an engine I always save stock parts. If the customer doesn’t want their stock stuff, it goes to the scrap yard. But if engine parts are not wanted I’ve saved up a little stock pile for this reason. I have probably 4 engines worth of parts sitting. Aside from time which I don’t have much of at all, it really won’t cost me much at all to grenade an engine or two. So why not push it if we can all learn something as a community? Sloppy mechanics has been using this mentality for years. Time to apply it to this platform.

TTS in the UK have / are doing testing on their Stage 2 with stock base motor internals with reports of high reliable power results too .
Their new 'Stealth Supercharger' setup , I am not sure , because it is getting 400bhp last I heard .

Thanks for that @Dopey , appreciate the effort mate , must have missed all that .....
The load cell and parasitic loss configs were off just a little from lack of maintenance. C10s bike made like 8hp less then it did the first time. Still made 206hp.

That video was recorded the same day c10 was there. The rcc bike make exactly as it should of, so that’s the benchmark we were going by.

TTS in the UK have / are doing testing on their Stage 2 with stock base motor internals with reports of high reliable power results too .
Their new 'Stealth Supercharger' setup , I am not sure , because it is getting 400bhp last I heard .

What do you me by base stock motor? Like it has a base spacer?

When I did that supercharged bking I was talking with TTS a lot. There’s a lot of things they told Me with how to set up and tune their kits that I didn’t agree with. They said I could just bolt on the blower and tune it on pump gas with no meth and it would be okay on a completely stock engine.

That blower made almost 14psi of Boost. Blowers also produced much higher intake temps then turbos do. I’m glad we went the route that I did as I just feel that bike would of been back to my shop shortly after the customer got it back. He’s still out there ripping on it with no issues.

For what it’s worth, that bike picked up 30whp with adding meth, and I had to spray a lot to get that. Goes to show the intake temps were extremely high.

Back