Lubricating cables

I have a kit from Dennis Kirk. It has a clamp adaptor that goes over the cable end & a spray can of lube. Just squirt the lube in until it runs out the other end of the cable.

I've never lubed my cables. Guess I need to think about that. What kind of lube is it? Silicon? Graphite?

--Wag--

I use a motion pro cable luber. I've also used a couple of different cable lubricants including motion pro's. On my dirt bikes, I always flushed the cable with brake cleaner before lubing it. That reminds me.... I need to order a can of lube.

219.jpg

220.jpg

Super Lube is fully synthetic, and has served me well for MANY years. It is available in a spray, as a paste (you can lube bearings with it in this formula), or as a really handy little pen type of dispenser. I use the pen style dispenser for cables, because you can get the dispenser tip in just the right spot. You can disconnect your cable, clean up the exposed sheath, fittings, and inner cable, while you are at it. You just slowly add about ten drops, allowing each drop to flow into the sheath. If you can, work the inner cable in and out to help disperse the lube. You may not notice an improvement immediately, as the lube will need time to flow along the inner cable via capillary action. Once the lube has completely dispersed, you'll feel a definite improvement.

Another product that works fantastic is Tuff Oil. I think it is available at better hardware stores, but I get mine at the local H-D stealership. Tuff Oil comes in a handy pen style applicator, and works just as well as the Super Lube. I prefer the Super Lube, as it is clear, fully synthetic, and if you overdo it, it is non-staining, and won't harm plastics or paint.

One important note is to lube your cables, and lube them well! I have seen countless examples of cables being so neglected, that the inner cable wore it's way through the nylon (sometimes Teflon) inner sleeve! Once you wear out the inner sleeve, your inner cable is rubbing up against the spiral steel cable housing. NOT GOOD! Hey, while you are lubing your cables, you might as well lube all the pivot points for your levers, chokes, fast idles, and throttles-including the throttle sleeve/grip.

What cables...throttle?

The clutch and brakes are based on hydraulics (no cables), right?

Throttle and Idle speed cables are listed in the service manual periodic maintenance table for each service.

Back