Lowering Via Triple

InfiniteReality

Registered
I tried searching for some info, but can't find an answer to my question.

I've had a Spencer's Cycle triple and adjustable links installed on the bike for 5yrs now... But now I'm 2nd guessing if I installed it right, yeah I know figured I'd think about it before now. I have the triple installed with the tubes flush with the top, but know on my Gen 1 I had the tubes going through them and protruding, but also know Gen 2's have tapered forks so you're limited to a 3/4" drop. If it helps, I have 2.25" of clearance between my tip of the nose and front fender directly below the nose. Anyone happen to know?

I'm also considering doing the internals to lower it further. What's the "ideal" drop for best looks for street use?

You can go 3/4" above the triple on a gen2. Its not a 3/4" drop. Its actually a pretty healthy drop. My bike is set up with that, +6 and dog bones middle hole and it sits perfect (for me) where as it leans a little towars the front to retain some descent cornering

Ahhh, so that's what they meant about 3/4". I was thinking it taped down below the pinch bolts and now understand. Sorry it's been 5yrs since I read about it and now makes perfect sense!

It sounds like I still maybe got a little drop with the new triple, but I can definitely go more which is what I plan to do... Probably today since weather is nice.

Happen to have any pictures handy? I'm curious what it looks like with forks 3/4" above the triple.

Have mine about 9/16" above the top tree and -2" in the rear,works out pretty good for street riding.

BrocksTopTree010_zps75abad9e.jpg

BrocksTopTree013_zpsdd9dc2c4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh **** that looks so much better and badass! Can't wait to lower mine properly especially considering I've had everything on the bike for 5yrs lol.

I just finished washing it and fixing to wash the truck, may wait till next weekend since weather looks good for riding to work all week! Have a feeling it'll be done after work one day, it's easy and can keep fairings on to do it.

oh **** that looks so much better and badass! Can't wait to lower mine properly especially considering i've had everything on the bike for 5yrs lol.

I just finished washing it and fixing to wash the truck, may wait till next weekend since weather looks good for riding to work all week! Have a feeling it'll be done after work one day, it's easy and can keep fairings on to do it.

please let me warn you guys do not lower you bike without a kickstand mod at minimal

For sure, thanks! I already have an adjustable kick that I powdercoated satin black. I've been meaning to adjust it a little higher so it didn't lean as much, but with lowering I won't have to.

Plan is to lower it tonight after work. Looking forward to it and the beer. Should be a fairly quick process since no fairing removal. I may not have to adjust the rear much, the steering feels a little heavy since I last adjusted them and just never took the time to fix.

I'll post pics when done.

Might want to be careful how much you lower the front if its a street bike. Ive already hit hard parts on the set up mentioned. I have a nice little scrape on a header tube and bottom of fairing scraped up. Thats with the front end stuffines up a bit over stock (2 lines showing, 4 out bottom, 3 out top) No bueno

I'm out in shop now, just put bike on stands to lower..

I think I had my Gen1 about 1.25" and scrapped a little around town, but wasn't bad. I think this will sit higher, right?

Also scraped(more like "mashed"[about a 1/2"]in my case :laugh:)one of my header tubes going over a piece of a speed bump I didn't notice in a parking lot,at stock height I probably would have just cleared the damned thing.

Pictures didn't show on my phone so here they are... It looks slammed for sure at 5/8" showing thru the triple! Thoughts??

20150918_231838.jpg

20150918_231913.jpg

20150918_232003.jpg

If I remember right I had my Gen I lowered enough at one time(until I caught it)that the back portion of the front fender was actually just kissing the front of the radiator under full compression(like when hitting a pothole,etc.),though it was still high enough that the nose fairing wouldn't touch the top of the fender under the same compression.I believe I'd already raised it back up a bit in this picture but it's something to check on the lower you go(ended up chopping off about 6" from the back of the fender :laugh:).

IMG_0225.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm digging the look for sure. I went to go look at old pics of my Gen1 and it appears the Gen2 is actually lower. I didn't think the Gen2s could be as low as Gen1s for some reason?

Photo_030908_003.jpg

You have any rubbing. On your brake light? I do but still want to go lower in the rear. Was thinking if I do just up compression on the rear shock. You know setting on your shock?

No rubbing here. 7 top 7 bottom around 14mm threads showing. For awhile i had it at 7,10, 18mm showing but i like it soft. Im more of a roll on guy not a drag racer. 210 in gear

Back