Lowering the front ?'s

CAT3

Donating Member
Registered
So, to lower the front, I need a new top clamp? That will allow me to slide the forks up, where the stock one won't? Any brand to stay away from, or recommended to get?

After riding with a group of 600/750 & 1k's, I am working on reducing my chicken strips, but at times I just dont feel the stock suspension is up to the task at hand. After reading posts from the experienced guys, raising the rear 1" and lowering the front 5mm+, with the addition of new springs, valving etc..will dramatically help turn-in and transition. So, thinking of the next mods. Anyway, thanks for any input.

Charlie

an easy to lower the front is reaper risers. they are spacers and longer bolts for the top clamp, once installed the shock tubes then will slide up abd the best thing 35$

reaper risers work well... and they are cheap... but I think they look like ass.
PMR and Trac make a one piece upper tree that replaces both pieces of the upper. much cleaner install IMO. also, IMO, stay away from the yanashiki and NYC parts triples. they are the "skelton" versions on ebay. they are cheap for a reason. I know of one fatigue fracture and read about another.

I seen the reaper risers, and excuse my ignorance on the subject, but I thought they merely raised the bars for a more comfortable position. I don't really like the gap they leave.
I've seen many-a-posts about Yanashiki parts being crap, will definately shy away from them at all cost. NYC, haven't heard of them before, and looks like for a good reason!
Will be looking for PMR and Trac later this week.

Is there a disadvantage about using lower triple? Like throwing off the geometry, excessive tire wear etc? I know with the front lowered and rear rasied slightly it should turn-in much better, but not sure if there are any drawbacks. Thanks.

trac stuff is very nice,but expensive,pmr makes some nice stuff and at reasonable prices,i have a spencer cycle top clamp on mine,works,and looks good to me
IM000768_edited-1.jpg

with the front lowered and the rear raised,it will turn in more quickly,at lower speeds in particular there will be a lot more pressure on your wrists,less stable(more twitchy) at high speeds

I used a PMR triple that replaces the two triples on top with one piece.  Very clean looking install, and easy to do as well.

BUT, if you're only going to lower 5mm then I'd just get some longer bolts and a few washers. Sure it'll create a gap (only 5mm bigger than what's there now. You'd save a whole lot of cash.

<!--EDIT|thebbbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1156780952 -->

pmrtriple.jpg

The PMR triple is a great piece, but a little pricey.

I went with e-Bay

DSC01662.jpg

I wouldnt spend the 100's of dollars on a new triple clamp if you are just wanting to lower the front end a little. You can buy the shortest version of the reaper risers ( 3/4's of an inch ) and lower your front end from anywhere between the stock height to 3/4's of an inch. People dont even notice that i have them on my bike but i always get questions like, did you lower your bike?

P8230088.JPG

I purchased the 1 1/4" risers so I could lower the front end. They are very cost effective and work great. Not many people look at a busa and comment on how bad the risers look. Most people unfamiliar with the bike would think they come like that from the factory.

Josh

trac stuff is very nice,but expensive,pmr makes some nice stuff and at reasonable prices,i have a spencer cycle top clamp on mine,works,and looks good to me
IM000768_edited-1.jpg

with the front lowered and the rear raised,it will turn in more quickly,at lower speeds in particular there will be a lot more pressure on your wrists,less stable(more twitchy) at high speeds
+1.....i have the exact same one....i also had that one in chrome....great product

Back