Lowering questions

WaynesBusa

Registered
I have tried searching this subject and didn't really come up with much - just read a lot about people planning on lowering or thinking of lowering. I just have a couple of questions - first a little background: last week I installed a new license plate frame (fender eliminator) and took the huge stock one off. That left a huge gap that I don't really like so I started thinking that if I lowered it an inch or two then that might close up the gap some - unless someone else has some other ideas. Anyway, so I started looking at a new lowering top tree from Roaring Toyz and some adjustable lowering links for the rear...now here is where my questions come in.

1. I still have the stock exhaust (which I am currently trying to decide between Akrapovic and Brocks CT or Alien Head) - will I run into any kind of issues (like rubbing) if I lowered the bike with the stock exhaust on it?
2. Would an inch really affect handling? I mean I don't knee drag or anything like that so I just want to make sure it won't affect it that bad.
3. Is that all I need is a lowering top triple clamp and lowering links? Will I need to get a new kickstand?
4. Is installing the links and the top tree as easy as they make it sound? Has anyone used Roaring Toyz parts and if so do they come with good instructions - including torque specs?
5. I would consider myself to be a shade tree mechanic - definitely not a pro but I am pretty good - with that said - do you need to be a pro or should someone with some skill be able to handle it?
6. If I lower the back 2 inches does the front need to be lowered the same amount?
7. Is there anything I should look out for while installing?

Also, any suggestions will be great appreciated - especially if they can save me some money :laugh:

Thanks!
Wayne

1.No, should be fine with only an inch
2. From what you've said, not that you would notice
3. You won't need the kickstand but its a good idea or mod the one you have
4. Those bolts for the links are TORQUED, you can do it, just make sure you get the weight off the suspension
5.Skill never hurts, have someone around
6. No, but IT IS A GOOD IDEA
7. Make sure you have the right parts and that your forks are the correct height on both sides. A half an inch is two worlds apart

Is the bike too high for you right now or you just want the slammed look? Just wondering why you are lowering it.

The soupy's rear lowering parts are nice...the add mentions stock to a 4" drop...the turnbuckle design is strong and adjusts to any size...the dog bone type have a few holes punched in them...some have 3 mounting choices

Keep the front lower or equal to the rear, it'll handle like a dumptruck otherwise. You won't need a new stand with an inch drop, just be more cautious about parking.

Other than that, I agree with Duke, Roaring toys make good stuff and its all pretty striaight forward.

i lowered just the rear with 2 inch vortec "dog bones",i feel that it handles better,and no same stand

You can not lower the front more than 3/4in safely by using an aftermarket top clamp because the pinch bolts will go past the taper on the forks

I mis read, I was thinking he meant ANY kind of drop. Yes, if only the clamp. You CAN have the forks properly modded though. MY BAD YA'LL, I SWEAR I'M SMART! :rofl:

@MLSDUKE1 - two reasons I want to lower the bike - first is to hopefully close up the gap between the rear tire and the fender and two because I do like the look of a lowered bike. I did the same thing with my cruiser - lowered it - and I definitely like the way it sits now over stock. On that same note - I did notice a difference when going over bumps in the road but that was just something I got used to.

So I can't lower the front down more than 3/4" which means I can't lower the rear down more than 3/4" of an inch right? What can I do to "safely" lower the front down more? The last thing I want is an unsafe bike - I mean considering the elements out there that already adds to safety concerns (cagers not paying attention, animals running out in front of you, etc.) the last thing I want to do is purposefully make the bike less safe. I noticed that Brocks sells lowering straps - but I am not sure what that means or what their purpose is - other than for lowering...

Thanks for all the input!

@MLSDUKE1 - two reasons I want to lower the bike - first is to hopefully close up the gap between the rear tire and the fender and two because I do like the look of a lowered bike. I did the same thing with my cruiser - lowered it - and I definitely like the way it sits now over stock. On that same note - I did notice a difference when going over bumps in the road but that was just something I got used to.

So I can't lower the front down more than 3/4" which means I can't lower the rear down more than 3/4" of an inch right? What can I do to "safely" lower the front down more? The last thing I want is an unsafe bike - I mean considering the elements out there that already adds to safety concerns (cagers not paying attention, animals running out in front of you, etc.) the last thing I want to do is purposefully make the bike less safe. I noticed that Brocks sells lowering straps - but I am not sure what that means or what their purpose is - other than for lowering...

Thanks for all the input!

DOT NOT USE A STRAP to lower the bike for street use. You can get lower in the front if you internally lower your forks

So I can't lower the front down more than 3/4" which means I can't lower the rear down more than 3/4" of an inch right? What can I do to "safely" lower the front down more?

You can lower the rear quite a bit more without any issues. Since you're considering lowering the bike, I'm assuming you aren't heading to your local road course anytime soon. The back of the bike sits quite a bit higher than the front so you can lower the bike around 2.5in in the rear then lower the front 3/4in and it should sit fairly level. At that point, you may want to consider stiffening up the rear shock if you do any 2 up riding and maybe chop the kickstand

+1 on that

You can lower the rear quite a bit more without any issues. Since you're considering lowering the bike, I'm assuming you aren't heading to your local road course anytime soon. The back of the bike sits quite a bit higher than the front so you can lower the bike around 2.5in in the rear then lower the front 3/4in and it should sit fairly level. At that point, you may want to consider stiffening up the rear shock if you do any 2 up riding and maybe chop the kickstand

Justin, you can't lower the bike at all without "ANY" issues! There are no free rides with lowering either end or both. There is a price to be paid in performance and safety.

If you are building a straight line drag bike lowering has it's advantages but for everyday street riding lowering the suspension has a stack of negative issues knee deep that the rider either has to overcome or ride around.

Justin, you can't lower the bike at all without "ANY" issues! There are no free rides with lowering either end or both. There is a price to be paid in performance and safety.

If you are building a straight line drag bike lowering has it's advantages but for everyday street riding lowering the suspension has a stack of negative issues knee deep that the rider either has to overcome or ride around.

He talking from mechanical standpoint not a riding on the street like its s race track standpoint.

He talking from mechanical standpoint not a riding on the street like its s race track standpoint.

Correct. I should of been a little more clear about where I was going with the local road course thing. Anyone considering lowering a bike in my eyes, has determined that lean angle and turn-in performance isn't on their agenda. Like stated, there won't be any mechanical issues other than a bumpy ride from cranky on the shock for a passenger on the back.

Back