Lowering options, help

ThatOneKid

Registered
So im a new owner to a 2009 busa. Its completely stock and I am putting a full brocks alien head exhaust on it. From what I hear its better to lower the bike after installing an exhaust. I am about to purchase the triple tree clamp and 5 position lowering links. Im just wondering how much should I lower the front and the rear? Any imput is greatly appreciated :p

So im a new owner to a 2009 busa. Its completely stock and I am putting a full brocks alien head exhaust on it. From what I hear its better to lower the bike after installing an exhaust. I am about to purchase the triple tree clamp and 5 position lowering links. Im just wondering how much should I lower the front and the rear? Any imput is greatly appreciated :p

Let me start by saying that I am in no way an authority on the subject, but I did lower my 2011 last year and have had a few teachable moments to share. First off before you lower, ask yourself why you are lowering, and do you need to do it. I did it to get a better grip on the pavement when stopped. But soon learned that with just 1.5 inch drop I was bottoming out in gas station parking lots and over almost every speed bump. Even scrapped bottom getting into the garage. Lowering the bike looks great and if you are going to the drag strip it can help keep the nose down but there are easier and simpler ways than the triple clamp. Brock's makes a lowering strap that works great, and you can very easily lift the bike back up with little or no effort. So you can drop it when needed. Another thought is this. With the tree clamp you can only lower the bike down to where the forks start to tapper out. With the strap you should be able to go as low was the plastics will let you. Like I said I did the tree clamp and bones on my 2011 last year. I have a new 2012 this year and I am going straight for the Brock's kit. I hope I have given you accurate info here. Insure if I didn't, someone will be along to set me straight. Good luck, and post some before and afters...

Let me start by saying that I am in no way an authority on the subject, but I did lower my 2011 last year and have had a few teachable moments to share. First off before you lower, ask yourself why you are lowering, and do you need to do it. I did it to get a better grip on the pavement when stopped. But soon learned that with just 1.5 inch drop I was bottoming out in gas station parking lots and over almost every speed bump. Even scrapped bottom getting into the garage. Lowering the bike looks great and if you are going to the drag strip it can help keep the nose down but there are easier and simpler ways than the triple clamp. Brock's makes a lowering strap that works great, and you can very easily lift the bike back up with little or no effort. So you can drop it when needed. Another thought is this. With the tree clamp you can only lower the bike down to where the forks start to tapper out. With the strap you should be able to go as low was the plastics will let you. Like I said I did the tree clamp and bones on my 2011 last year. I have a new 2012 this year and I am going straight for the Brock's kit. I hope I have given you accurate info here. Insure if I didn't, someone will be along to set me straight. Good luck, and post some before and afters...

The strap is best for the strip. You will limit your front fork travel to nearly nothing and if you hit a rut or bump in the road you may just find yourself on your butt. You need the suspension on the street. Your steering will also be a little stiff and not quite fluid if you like going into corners. The purpose of the strap is to get it a little lower yes but on a drag launch it keeps the forks from fully extending out which can cause weight transfer to the rear and be more prone to wheelies.

The proper way to lower the front is to do it internally but since most Busa owners want more of an adjustable method then the triple tree is the best method for overall lowering.

Careful with the 5 holes. I have them on my 08 with a full 4-2-1-2 tiforce and with the bike up lifted to use the lower back hole the front of my links hit the piping. I had to grind down the front of the links to use the hole I needed. But when u lower the bike down u have enough room. Was kind of annoying lol.

Back