Lowering links SNAPPED ?

Chris79761TX

Registered
Has this happened to anyone else. I was going about 40 MPH and hit a dip in the road and it snapped both lowering links. I only weigh 180 lbs. The links looked like very cheap cast aluminum. I am just extremely happy this didn't happen at freeway speed. the tire wore right thru the top of the rear fender under the rear seat. The lowering links were on the bike when I bought it from the previous owner. I am thinking of making my own out of steel so this won't happen again.:mad2:

I'm glad you shared this because I just recently bought a busa with lowering links. When I put it in the shop to get inspected I will have them check the lowering links or I just might have a new set put on all together. I wonder do they make them in steel or just aluminum.

Well I can't even get the bolts loose. I think the shop that installed them used alot of lock tite and one heck of an impact wrench. the links snapped right at the lower bolts holes. I am wondering if they were torqued to tight and stressed the Aluminum. I went to Home depot and got some 1/4" flat stock steel and see if I can make some myself out of steel. But will need to replace the bolts that hold them in once I can get them loose

i have a tiger tail. it won't rub, even if the links snap. but that does suck. get some soupys links. those are my next mod. well, in the next round of mods anyway.

Well I can't even get the bolts loose. I think the shop that installed them used alot of lock tite and one heck of an impact wrench. the links snapped right at the lower bolts holes. I am wondering if they were torqued to tight and stressed the Aluminum. I went to Home depot and got some 1/4" flat stock steel and see if I can make some myself out of steel. But will need to replace the bolts that hold them in once I can get them loose

That cheap chinese sh-it steel from home depot is most likely no better than the aluminum you have. Go to a metal fabrication shop with your old broken pieces and have them make you a set out of T-1 steel and you'll have something you can hang your life on.

I think Soupy makes his own and I've heard nothing negative about them so you may give him a shot? I'm guessing you have an extended swingarm with those cheap chinese ebay special links. The extended swingarm adds leverage to the links and I'm not surprised to see the links fail on occasion.

Spend the money and get the Soupy's adjustables. I am currently running Brock's adjustables at the moment but I got a great deal on them. If it wasn't for that I would be running soupy's without a doubt.

well ordered some soupy's i sure hope this never happens again. I am just glad it happened when it did and not going down the freeway with my wife with me. It could have been really ugly. Thank You
all for your help

well ordered some soupy's i sure hope this never happens again. I am just glad it happened when it did and not going down the freeway with my wife with me. It could have been really ugly. Thank You
all for your help

You won't be disappointed. It could have been worse for sure. Look up some videos on YouTube. Someone posted one in the past year of some breaking in a corner, needless to say the outcome was not good at all

That happened to me with a set but mine were installed wrong which is what caused the failure

I hit a large pot hole on the toll-way ( on Rt53 near Hwy90) just outside of Chicago 2 years ago while doing about 60mph and I assure you it was ugly. I tore both links and set the undertail down on the rear tire. The riders behind me saw nothing buy smoke and sparks !!! It was all I could do to keep the bike upright. A highway safety guy came buy 5 minutes later and told me that 9 cars have blown their tires off the rims so far on that pot hole in the last couple of days and a repair order has already been issued to the street dept. I advised him to close the lane and he said he doesn't have the authority to do so. He also is not allowed to even pour a couple of bags of gravel into the hole because he is not in the correct union. LOTS of damage to my bike. LOTS of expense to my bank account. I use Soupy's links now.

Soupys is the way to go, Also make a very Nice front lowering block.

====================================================================

000000.jpg

Back