Lowering Kit

I have those exact rear links and I LOVE 'em. I ride at 3 different ride heights (street, track, passenger) and can't imagine doing that with the regular dogbones.

As for the front, I personally prefer an after market tree clamp. 1, because I can go as low as the bike will allow. And 2, because I've never been a big fan of that gap the spacers leave.

If you never plan on going further than a 1" drop up front though, I'd say go for it.
thumb_up.gif

My wife has the spacers on her Busa.....they work pretty good. The space is a little ugly but it does the job.

It is a nice kit for the price. It will raise the bars. Soupy is a sponsor here. Check out his web page from this link and compare the price. Be sure and tell him Hayabusa.org sent you.
Link to Soupy's page

If you don't want to raise the bars, like NightCrawler said an aftermarket tree clamp or cover will be required. Quite a bit more money however. Might try the Soupy kit and if you decide you need to tree/cover later it can be easily swapped.

No offense intended to the org. venders that sell the spacer kits for the front.

Personally, I prefer to the and the obvious strength of this product made by Gen Mar.
It fills the void between the top trip and the handle bar mount, making for a "Finished" installation.
They are available in 3/4" and 1 1/4" rises.

Once it is installed, simply allow the fork tubes to slide up through the clamp to the desired height.

Granted it is a great deal more expense, to the tune of $150.00 but , certainly worth the piece of mind.

1tail.com

Remember to never lower the rear more than the front.
Try to lower both ends equally or you may lower the front a bit more than the rear, which will enhance the "Turn In" of your bike, making it it a bit more responsive.
However, too much of a good thing can quickly become a bad thing!

cool.gif

Soupy's are great and doubt you will find anyone that complains about them or the install. Except for getting the bolts off to install them.

I have those exact rear links and I LOVE 'em. I ride at 3 different ride heights (street, track, passenger) and can't imagine doing that with the regular dogbones.

As for the front, I personally prefer an after market tree clamp. 1, because I can go as low as the bike will allow. And 2, because I've never been a big fan of that gap the spacers leave.

If you never plan on going further than a 1" drop up front though, I'd say go for it.
thumb_up.gif
Which tree clamp did you get? ANd how much?

Thanks for all the info guys. I might just go with the lowering links for the rear and get an actual clamp for the front. How hard is the insall? Do i have to suspend the rear or front in the air to get either off?

thumb_up.gif
Which tree clamp did you get?  ANd how much?

Thanks for all the info guys.  I might just go with the lowering links for the rear and get an actual clamp for the front.  How hard is the insall?  Do i have to suspend the rear or front in the air to get either off?
I got it from Ebay. I can't remember the seller but it came with the clamp, fork caps, tank pad, and stem plug. I think it was around $350 for everything but I'm not certain. I think the seller was all-things-chrome, but again .. I'm not 100% certain.

The rear has to be suspended in order to swap out the stock dogbones for the new ones. The front can simply be swapped. Now when you go to actually lower the bike, all weight must be off of the forks before doing so. I used roof beams in my shed to get her up.

thumb_up.gif

Thanks for all the info guys.  I might just go with the lowering links for the rear and get an actual clamp for the front.  How hard is the insall?  Do i have to suspend the rear or front in the air to get either off?
I got it from Ebay. I can't remember the seller but it came with the clamp, fork caps, tank pad, and stem plug. I think it was around $350 for everything but I'm not certain. I think the seller was all-things-chrome, but again .. I'm not 100% certain.

The rear has to be suspended in order to swap out the stock dogbones for the new ones. The front can simply be swapped. Now when you go to actually lower the bike, all weight must be off of the forks before doing so. I used roof beams in my shed to get her up.
I'm sorry I'm stuch a noob. But sounds like to me when you say you do have to take all the weight off the front then that means you would have to get the front up off the ground in order to get the weight off the forks correct? Is there not a DIY or anything on how to do it?

For te front you don't need to do anything just install the spacers and loosen the bolts holding the fork tubes and it will slide right up to the new position of the triple tree. For the rear all you need to do is jack up the bottom of the rear spring where the dog bones attach with the bike sitting on stands. Becarefull becuase when you jack up the spring you will take weight off the rear spookls which makes the bike unstable. The whole job only takes an hour front and rear. Hardest part is getting the dog bone bolts loose.

very easy to install . when doing the front loosen the bolt slowly and the bike will slide down to the top tree . Soupy sells the best stuff!

thumb_up.gif

I'm sorry I'm stuch a noob.  But sounds like to me when you say you do have to take all the weight off the front then that means you would have to get the front up off the ground in order to get the weight off the forks correct?  Is there not a DIY or anything on how to do it?
That's correct but only when lowering it. You don't have to do that when you're swapping out the clamp.

The way I did it was with the hoist I linked to below. I passed a strap under the "neck" of the bike. That'll be between the tank and the handlebars. You'll basically be passing the strap just in front of the horn. I then hooked the strap to the hoist to lift the bike from the beams in the roof of my shed. I also used a rear stand to stablize the bike while the front was up off of the ground.

Link -> http://www.northerntool.com/webapp....0342811

Link -> http://www.northerntool.com/webapp....4_13064

I have the 2-ton hoist but the 1-ton should work just fine.

Thanks guys I ordered the kit from Soupy's website. I'll probably have more questions when it comes time to do the install so that I wont mess anything up. I also just ordered some clear turn signals, and should be ordering some HID's soon as well. I'm going to be tearing down the bike soon to get her painted while its still cold out!

Ok I'm out in the shop now trying to put the kit on. I hoisted the back up off the ground like you guys said, but those dog bone bolts will not budge at all. I'm even using an impact wrench and nothing at all. Any pointers in how you guys got them off or what tools you might had used would be helpful thanks guys.

Wow that seems a bit tight. Try a "breaker bar" ? If don't have one can try with a 1/2" ratchet and put a Pipe over the handle to give you leverage. Basically A homemade version. I have a seat post off an old BMX bicycle that I use for an 3/8" ratchet at times. however I have a breaker bar also.

Rubber mallet? Can extend the ratchet out from the bike(so you can swing the hammer) and then build up from the ground (wood or something similar)to the ratchet so it is supported for when you hit it with the hammer. Just make sure you are loosening it. Going the wrong direction can make life that much more difficult. Soak with liquid wrench or WD40? Righty...Tighy / Lefty... Loosey I believe is how it goes.

Just a few options that might help you out Good luck.

Rubber mallet came in handy for doing the front also. Let the forks slide up till it hit the top clamp then used the mallet to tap them back down so it wasn't touching the top clamp. Touching will transfer vibration. Be sure to get them even.

Ok I'm out in the shop now trying to put the kit on.  I hoisted the back up off the ground like you guys said, but those dog bone bolts will not budge at all.  I'm even using an impact wrench and nothing at all.  Any pointers in how you guys got them off or what tools you might had used would be helpful thanks guys.
You do know you have to keep the other side still right?

If not, it'll just spin all day.

Can anyone provide instructions on how to install the triple tree on the GenII Busa. A picture would be great of what to take off. I never done one before but understand that it is not difficult. Do I need t remove any fairings and on the forks I notice there are notches or indentation on them, where do you measure to know how low the bike is lowered? All opinions welcomed thank you in advance.

What did you hook the hoist to to lift the front end up? Do you have something like a cherry picker?

That's correct but only when lowering it. You don't have to do that when you're swapping out the clamp.

The way I did it was with the hoist I linked to below. I passed a strap under the "neck" of the bike. That'll be between the tank and the handlebars. You'll basically be passing the strap just in front of the horn. I then hooked the strap to the hoist to lift the bike from the beams in the roof of my shed. I also used a rear stand to stablize the bike while the front was up off of the ground.

Link -> http://www.northerntool.com/webapp....0342811

Link -> http://www.northerntool.com/webapp....4_13064

I have the 2-ton hoist but the 1-ton should work just fine.

Back