Lowering Bike

rlbomber

Registered
I would like to know if the handling of the bike (2009) will change any if I lower it 1"?

The problem is that I'm only 5'6" and am on my toes when stopped. I know I can get lowering links for the rear and I already have a 1" riser on the handle bar which will allow the front to lower without using the straps.

Any thoughts would be great.

Yes, handling is always affected when raising or lowering the bike~!~

It will affect your center of gravity to say the least...

You'll get quite a bit of info in this thread I'm sure

Simply said...
lower = better straight line handling
higher = better turning ability

Once you make changes, in most case you need to make other changes in the suspension geometry

EX: don't lower the front end, but raise the rear end = you may need a stiffer damper to compensate for more front end wobble

I'm definitely no suspension guru, but maybe this'll help a bit~!~

Last edited:
My woman is 5'7" and she rides the arse off a busa. She has had two, both stock height and had no trouble what so ever. Now, you aren't going to let a woman show you up, eh? :poke:

But just in case you still need to lower your bum after I've insulted your manhood :laugh:, I happen to have a trimmed seat for the Gen. I. Drop me a pm if you need it! :beerchug:

My woman is 5'7" and she rides the arse off a busa. She has had two, both stock height and had no trouble what so ever. Now, you aren't going to let a woman show you up, eh? :poke:

But just in case you still need to lower your bum after I've insulted your manhood :laugh:, I happen to have a trimmed seat for the Gen. I. Drop me a pm if you need it! :beerchug:

haha.. I had a girlfriend in 8th grade who was 5'6'' :p

My wife is shorter than that...she never had any trouble at all riding, the problem came when attempting a full stop...she had to make a decision which foot was going to touch~!~

Unless you are a hard core twisty rider. Once you get use to the difference,it will be like you never lowered it. I'm 6'3" and lowered mine(for looks). I haven't found a road I can't drive down. However I don't ride hard into corners,but I do take corners just fine.

Go Ahead and do it. Just don't buy some cheap Ebay Dog Bones for the rear. Reason is your whole rear of motorcycle is supported by them. If they were to break,you'll be sorry you didn't spend the extra $20(regular)-60(adjustable) on them.

Keep in mind there is over 25k members here and you will run into difference of opinion.

BTW...

:welcome:

Cut the seat first Lowering affects the bike alot . I'm not sure how much only 1" would do , but the Tobin seat is more comfortable anyway

Hey thanks for the advice. I've checked out the lower links from Soupy's and also the seats from Tobin. It looks like I will go the seat route first, they look nice.

With regards to Tufbusa and his comments, I've been short all my life and have no problem with my masculinity. I ride the busa very well (riding for 30 years) but just wanted to get my feet a little more firmly on the ground.

Since this picture, I've replaced the stock pipes with a set of Two Brothers slip ons.

Last edited:
Go Ahead and do it. Just don't buy some cheap Ebay Dog Bones for the rear. Reason is your whole rear of motorcycle is supported by them. If they were to break,you'll be sorry you didn't spend the extra $20(regular)-60(adjustable) on them.

:welcome:

+1 on this...come to think of it, I'll see if I can locate a post a friend showing an example tonight of what these dog bones can do when they give out around a curve~!~

I'm 5'7" and lowered mine years ago. 1.25 front and 1.5 (or maybe it was 2) in the rear. No regrets. Looks nice, not as wheelie prone and I didn't notice any difference in handling. It's nice being able to flat foot it and back it out of places on an incline. For the kickstand, I just bought another off ebay and did the normal notch mod for further in-swing. Have the original in case I return it back to stock height.

Keep in mind that if you get a cut down seat, you're also going to be closer to the pegs with more of a bend in your legs. I do a lot of long distance traveling and that's the last thing I wanted.

Lower it equally, or front lower than the rear. Mine was lowered 1 inch up front and 1.5 in the rear, i didnt realize just how bad it was until i went to equal heights.

Back