Lowering and daily riding.

Hi Guys,

I have a 2004 LE and am starting the mod process. I am wondering if lowering the front 1" and the rear to match is a good thing? Does the handling get better and does it affect 2up riding? Since you lower the bike and don't change the suspension travel are there any drawbacks with clearance issues? I mainly ride it solo but wife likes to come along at times. I want it to rail corners as best as possible but if lowering impacts overall functionality I will leave at stock height.

What do ya think?

Mines in the middle hole of the bones, and a hair over an inch up front.
I would stay at 3/4 up front if ya like to rail hard, or you'll scrape yer lowers
I just love the looooow look!!
I've scraped mine leaning hard a few times now......oh well, I'm painting my second body this winter anyways!!
Be very careful of speed bumps no matter how low ya go......some of the bigger ones can be a pain!!

I have mine lowered 3/4" up front and the middle hole in the dogbone and have not had any problems since doing so. I can still ride two up and aggressive in the turns and I like the way that is handles. You can't beat the look either. Just be aware of speed bumps like MSF said.

I lowere mine a few weeks ago. WIll NEVER go back to stock height. Runs perfectly fine .75 down in front and middle hole on dogbones 1 up. When i have a passenger i would hit plastic every so often. I firmed up my shock and front forks, havent bottomed out yet.... knock on wood. So i say do with her as you will. You can always raise her back up. But after i rode my buddies stock one this morning, i know why i love her low. PS my tobin seats were well worth the money , after getting a flashback to stock seats!!!! DAmn the stockers hurt. I told my buddy, to call tobin today!!
cool.gif

Lots of opinions on this one. Have left my Green Dragon at the stock height and stock stretch. That s with 310hp, I like it the way it is, maybe because I a use to it that way.

Thanks guys! I think I will try a .75 drop and see how it goes. My main concern is I don't want to trash panels. I will pay attention to things and firm the ride if needed.

I've got mine lowered 2" in the front and 2" in the rear...I've bottomed out on bigger speedbumps a few times (just twice yesterday
mad.gif
) but no major damage yet...that plastic is tougher than you'd think...

i have mine so that there is 1.5" above the triple clamp so im not sur how dropped it is from stock. its in the lower hole in the rear dogbones and ill hit every speedbump unless im at a near standstill and even that doesnt help sometimes. i love it slammed and i havent broke any plastics but i did dent my exhaust a little. nothing like a slammed busa if your mostly a cruiser but when i get frisky i drag pegs which can be very scary!

michelle do you have risers or lowering tree and if its a tree how much is sticking out the top cause now im interested how much im actually lowered?

image0005.jpg

oh i ride about 2 tanks a week and love it lowered, especially at the lights where sitting still is cake. im 6 ft and 190 lbs

heres my ground clearance:p

image0004.jpg

michelle  do you have risers or lowering tree and if its a tree how much is sticking out the top cause now im interested how much im actually lowered?
I had mine lowered almost as soon as I bought it, and since I wasn't in to working on it like I am now, I'm sorry to say that I don't know what they did to it...I had a performance shop lower it for me...I know that they told me it could go as low as 4" (I can't imagine how much clearance that would leave you if you hit a pebble in the road), and that what they did to the front couldn't be undone...

How much of that is true? I have no idea...I just trusted the guy to get it lowered in the front and rear for me, and I've never had any problems or regrets...I can't use a front Pit Bull stand since it's been lowered...that's been the only downside...

Oh, and I didn't see any change in what shows through the top...

3/4" Genmar in the front, middle hole on the back (Rotor Woman lowering links). Love it! No ill handling affects at all.

Postal.

RS3.jpg

clean black busas look so SWEET! on the topin of handling, even thoughim lowered alot the suspension hasnt changed cause with links inthe back and the tubes slid up it handles the same other than the risk of bottoming out or dragging pegs. shortening the forks is a good way to prevent bottoming out because the susension travel is shortened but it will stiifen the ride a bit and if you have ever bottomed out forks youll know it is like hitting the ground with no suspension. there are tradeoffs for each one, i would rather have a stock ride snd just be aware of the exhaust and oilpan since i rarely wheely. man thats a clean busa! black is still my fav:D

you wont notice any difference in turning, other than you are sitting lower which means your pegs will scrape sooner in tight turns if you are a knee dragger.

Back