Lowering an K8 & Comfort Mods

rateatr

Registered
Hi, I just bought an 2008 and would like some input on lowering it.  I want to lower the front end but still have driveability.  At the same time I would like to add some comfort items to help with my height (6'4"), possibly raising the bars.  

I have been checking out the posts and have a question regarding sliding the forks up in the triple clamp.  Is this something that cannot be done with the stock set up because the forks won't slide through the upper factory plate(handlebar mount)?  Can a spacer be put in between the plate and the upper triple clamp to allow it to slide up farther and make the handle bars higher?  

Has anybody done this?  If so, can you also add Helibars on top of this mod?

I only have 10 miles on it and it definitely needs some creature comforts added.  What would be the first thing you would change?  Maybe I was just excited and nervous!

The search (this site) is your friend.  Simply put, you can lower the front with something called risers, up to 1.25".  Basically all they are is spacers like you've mentioned, with longer bolts.  This will allow you to lower the front 0" - 1.25" while raising the bars 1.25".  There are various brands out there.

Other options for the front would be to replace the cover with one that will allow the forks to slide up, or replace the cover and the upper clamp with one piece, or finally, replace both pieces with one piece and get clipons.

I don't know if Helibars are an option, since I've never been interested in them.

Don't forget, most mods are the same between Gen I and Gen II so search everywhere.

Oh, and welcome to the insanity.

Hellibars make a huge difference, I had them on my K4 and will fit them to the K8 very soon. They only lift you 1.5 ins but it makes for a much less weight on the wrists.
Also consider Buell or Oberon foot pegs they drop your feet 25-30mm again not much but I'm 6' and the difference is amazing.

The difference in comfort with and without these mods is night and day, on my K4 I could do 500+ miles a day without thought, the K8 in stadard trim is very different and causes me aches and pains after 150 or so miles.

A few hundred $ will sort it out.
thumb_up.gif

I bought an 01' Busa that already had 3/4" Genmar Handlebar Riser installed so I never knew was I had until I got my K8 Busa...MAN what a difference. I actually used a stack of stainless steel washers for 10mm bolts to play with the spacing to see what I could come up with for a better/more comfortable fit. I stopped at 1'...any more than that and you put the cables in a bind due to over stretch and might start hitting the fluid reservoir covers on the stock windscreen. Fit for me is perfect and MY handling inproved since I didn't have as much pressure on the bars from being overextended. Try the washers and 100mm long bolts (may have to shorten the bolts as needed since they will hit "things" if they protrude too far from the triple-tree. This mod will also allow you to drop the front end WAY down since the forks can slide the additional 1'. I'll probably end up getting the 3/4" Genmar handlerbar riser but this cost less than $5 as a way to test out the setup.

Back