Lowered and stretched (handling)?

manaman

Registered
Hows the handling compared to stock with it lowered and stretched for those who have this set up? And how did you lower the front with a triple tree or a strap?

I like the way the busa looks lowered and stretched and wanted some feedback before I went this route. Also how does the bike behave with the front lowered with the strap as opposed to a triple tree?

Ive heard that upon coming down from a wheelie or hard braking with a triple tree the forks will compress and Ive heard of the wheel being shoved into the front fairings and being turned.

With the strap the forks are already compressed so would they provide more resistance and be less likely to compress further but also have a more harsh landing from a wheelie?

And how about having an 6-8 ext, how is the handling affected?

I have a 6" ext arm and 2" lowered in the rear. As far as handling goes, IMO it got alot better. I can actually lean that thing very low now. alot of people say it decreases the handling but it actually helped me alot. if you plan to lower the rear, make sure you dont ride 2 up. Stiffen the rear shock as much as you can.

P.S. im also in hawaii (oahu) lets go for a ride sometime! E-mail or PM me

Oh snap! Mr.Busa Im here in Wahiawa area! I recenty bought Jonny Medinas 99 busa and hes polishing the frame as we speak.

Im already getting the bike stretched and lowered but I dont have a strap or triple tree for the front and wanted info before I went with either.

Yeah we gotta meet up, thanks for the help.

Yeah, Army. I work on wheeler, Im in aviation. How about you? Army too right. Hey did you lower the front of your busa? I just read on another board about using Reapers Risers.

My only concern is when coming down from a wheelie and having the fender get jammed into the fairings, doesnt sound like something Id like to experience as I heard it turns the tire.

Nope, im non millitary. check your PM's (private messages). not too sure on lowering the front. mine is still sitting at stock height as i too am afraid of "bottoming out"

DON'T LOWER OR STRETCH YOUR BIKE IF YOU WANT TO WHEELIE. EXTENDING THE WHEELBASE AND LOWERING MAKES IT TWICE AS HARD TO WHEELY AND YOU WILL HIT YOUR FRONT FENDER ON THE UPPER FAIRING. IF YOU DRAG RACE THEN YOU HAVE THE RIGHT SETUP.

I LOWERED MY BIKE WITH SCHNITZ LOWERING LINKS FOR THE BACK AND A NEW TOP CLAMP FOR THE FRONT AND A STRAP.

What Bob said. You WILL NOT wheelie that bike being lowered and stretched!!!
It WILL mess up the bottom when you come down. Stretched bikes come down VERY hard from a wheelie.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hahaha, yeah Its gonna handle like a bus. Sweet. Well its kinda to late to ditch the extended swingarm guess Ill have a crappy handling busa, how about lane changes and such on the freeway?

Thanks for the replies.

It'll be fine for evetdat riding. Not much in the twisties tho.
We don't have twisties in Texas, so it doesn't matter.

How long is the arm?
I', going 7" over on mine.

I've lowered the back two inches and the front 3/4 of an inch.  Used the Schnitz lowering links and upper tripple tree top clamp.  The bike handles OK, but not as good as the stock setup.  I would not change back, I like the look and feel of the bike lowered.  When going into a turn, you have to hold your line, the bike feels a little rough when going into a turn fast.  When you lower the bike, you will feel every bump in the road...

Do not use the front-end lowering strap on the street, "track use only".  Straps are not made for daily road use, the strap could break and wrap around your front wheel.
AAAssjani.gif

Thanks for the advice everyone, I went ahead and bought Reapers 3/4 in risers. Cant wait to get em, its gonna look sweet lowered a little up front.

what is the diffrence from having a triple tree clamp, risers, etc, compared to a simple little twist on the adjustable forks?

Too bad my lowering thread got lost when the board crashed. So I will start over...

2001 and newer Busas cannot be lowered in the front without a triple tree clamp, or Reaper Risers. Considering the costs of both, I got the Reaper Risers. 1 1/4". Lowered the front 1", and put Muzzys lowering links in the back. Went down one hole in the back.

Risers bring your stock triple clamp up, therefore allowing the fork tubes to be raised and lowering the front. I ride hard at times, and I was worried about stability, strength, and handling. Let me say this: I LOVE IT MORE NOW!
Won't wheelie on me during acceleration, takes turns as well as stock setup, and being only 5'10" the bike fits me better.
You can NOT go wrong with the risers. If you don't like them, you are only out $35 or whatever the current price is.

Photo of Reaper Risers on my busa, you can see the spacers, high quality too:

lower4.jpg

My avatar photo... not too low, not stock either:

lower1.jpg

Wow thats not to low in the front for an inch, thanks for the photos too by the way. I got reapers 3/4 risers, seemed like the most cost effective and safest way to lower the front.

Im 5'10 too so Im guessing it would be more comfortable for me too. Im only extending the swingarm 3 inches instead of 6. Im kinda trying to get the best of both worlds in this aspect.

The bikes gonna need the 3 inches anyway as I just got my Powercommander 2 and K@N filter to go along with the muzzy. I wonder what kinda power increase a 99 with these mods would be putting out? Might have it dynoed but might not anybody know how much to the wheels this set up would yeild?

Back