Lower shock linkage bolt

soundman

Registered
Is there something special with this bolt or did the previous owner overtighten it?
The story: I'm in the process of fixing 2 06 Busa's that I recently acquired. I was working on Busa 1 when I noticed that it had a 3 position shock linkage. This is great because I was looking at the price of Soupy's adjustable linkage. I notice the linkage is in the middle position and decide to put in in the highest portion to raise the rear. This is when my saga began. No amount of pressure, heat, cursing, cussing, praying, or prying would get this bolt to break free! I used penetrating oil (soaking overnight), a torch, an impact wrench and nothing would get it to turn loose. I finally resorted to cutting the head off with an air grinder. After I had driven then bolt out of the linkage I picked it up and could take the nut off by hand! There is a metal stop inside of the nut but I've taken this type of bolt off before and never had this amount of trouble.
Also, locally I can only find a 7/16th's bolt to replace the 12mm that came out. The 7/16th bolt has a tiny bit more play than the 12mm did. I've used a grade 8 bolt with a locking nut. Is this a problem or do I need to install a 12mm bolt and if so does anyone have one to sell me?
Last question. What is stock rear ride height on an 06 Busa? I dont know if the linkage I have is a +1, 0, -1 or a 0, -1, -2 linkage. I have it on it's highest setting and it improved handling immensely but might still want to install fully adjustable linkage if I've only raised the bike to the stock rear height.
Thanks for you help in advance.

go get a 12mm bolt that fits man. do things the right way, or it'll be your azz skittering across the pavement.

I have alot of stock everything for gen 1 busas lmk what all you need.

Yeah your gonna wanna invest in good tap and die sets for metric and standard. I'm a diesel mechanic in the marine corps and lemme tell you - its a man's best friend :laugh:

they shouldnt be too much at all - snap on is great IMO

Order one from Goldenchild and be done with it. The highest setting you have have is stock height. The middle hole in the dog bone should be -1 inch. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think in the last hole, all way on the end, you will be at -2 inches. The shorter the length of the dog bone, the higher the bike will be. Oh, and next time please post the question before you cut stuff off of your bike. We will help you.

Last edited:
Order one from Goldenchild and be done with it. The highest setting you have have is stock height. The middle hole in the dog bone should be -1 inch. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think in the last hole, all way on the end, you will be at -2 inches. The shorter the length of the dog bone, the higher the bike will be. Oh, and next time please post the question before you cut stuff off of your bike. We will help you.

Does he sell all stock bolts?

Does he sell all stock bolts?

Meaning does he have most sizes? Most likely. Shoot a pm. Daniel is good to deal with. If you cant reach him, send me a pm and I will give you his phone number.

Last edited:
Meaning does he have most sizes? Most likely. Shoot a pm. Daniel is good to deal with. If you cant reach him, send me a pm and I will give you his phone number.

Yes at least fairing bolts. I called my local dealer said they would call me back with part numbers and no call so ef them

So far no one has come up with the magic bullet how to get the bolt out in the first place answer so I'm figuring I would have still had to cut it off.

The reason I'm asking about the dogbones is that I've seen 0, -1, -2 dog bones and I've also seen +1, -0, -1 dogbones.

No idea.. No markings and they were on the bike when I got it. The holes are spaced 4.5", 5", and 5.5" center to center.

Put a 12mm bolt back in for sure, You do not want any play at all like what the 7/16 has.

I've sent private messages to Goldenchild but I'm not sure if they are going. Even though I've sent 3 or 4 messages I haven't heard back and there are no messages in my sent items box. Weird.

You could also get stock parts from Babbittsonline dot com. I have used them before. Perhaps ace hardware or true value might have something as well.

i recently went through this as well. when i bought my bike my swingarm was cracked, so i needed to replace and those bolts heads were allready screwed up and we played hell getting them out. i just found a set of vortex links w/all bolts on ebay for 50 shipped.....was a steal considering suzuki wants over 20 bucks each for the bolts and like 3 bucks each for nuts. oh.....and the torch and alot of swaring and an extra pair of hands got those pesky bolts out.

Back