lower gears

rbnjr

Registered
so whats the best sprocket to install to give the beast some lower gears so in city driving is more enjoyable? too tall in first gear i think.

thanks much.

I will be going with some 16/42's soon. then if i do some distance riding again i can swap them back. both use the stock chain length.

I'd go up 2 in the rear or down 1 in the front. Up 3 in the rear is possible and is about the same as one down in front but shortens the wheelbase enough that it is noticably lighter and more wheely happy. No more than this is needed to make take-offs effortless and more compromises the bikes' all around abilities. Riders making more drastic changes usually have a specific gearing goal in mind for track purposes.

I'd go up 2 in the rear or down 1 in the front. Up 3 in the rear is possible and is about the same as one down in front but shortens the wheelbase enough that it is noticably lighter and more wheely happy. No more than this is needed to make take-offs effortless and more compromises the bikes' all around abilities. Riders making more drastic changes usually have a specific gearing goal in mind for track purposes.

reducing the size of your front sprocket is a BAD idea. It puts more stress on your output shaft and will make chain pinching or binding at the front sprocket more prone....

Shortening the bike's wheelbase makes it more flickable...wheelie prone? Ehhhhh, the thing on the right is called a throttle...just takes more practice.

I ran 17/43 on my 290 rwhp, stock wheelbase busa....never had an issue with wheelies. I controlled them.

Back