Lower back pain ideas?

legbuh

Registered
I'm a wimp.  On every bike I've had my lower back gets sore after about 30-40 minutes of riding.

On the busa I find myself constantly switching between weight on my wrists and then using my back for support.  Even focusing on trying to use my abdominal muscles.  And stretching before and after rides (my back especially)

I did hurt my back in college lifty a heavy object (lol).

The problem is, I love riding the busa SO much I want to find a way to help this.  I don't think risers will help since my previous bikes had higher bars (FJ1200 and FZ1) than the busa.

Do I just need to exercise?  
smile.gif
 I told my wife after she has her baby I'd start doing pilates with here... they focus on the abdomen a lot in those.

I do remember a couple years ago I started running again and found that even that helped me last at least an hour or more before noticing my lower back was getting sore.

Maybe ideas on riding position?  Or maybe after a few weeks of a few short rides (hour or so) the muscles will get stronger?    I tend to ride very close to the tank.

I am 6'3" and 225lbs.  
smile.gif
 Should be around 210.. that weight will come off this winter (I'm backwards, I gain in the summer and lose in the winter.. lol... ATVing the frozen rivers is a rush!)

<!--EDIT|legbuh
Reason for Edit: None given...|1127355193 -->

smile.gif

Exercise is probably the first suggestion. Strengthen the back and stomach. When riding use the stomach to help support your riding position. Short rides at first to build up to the longer stuff and you should do fine.

That's what I figured it out. I googled the same thing on the groups and people said "stick it out, it'll get better from just riding!"

If I hadn't taken all winter and most of the summer off from riding I know it wouldn't be this bad.

But... it's TOTALLY worth it with the busa! No ther bike could I say that!
biggrin.gif

Many have the same issue...

The fix... Get up on the balls of your feet while cruising and use your legs to keep you upper body up and don't lean so much on the bars... Took a couple of weeks to get the hang of it, but now I am a pro...
tounge.gif

Reaper risers helped as well...
wink.gif

I have the same problem on my ZX-6. I don't on the Busa. What I do is wear one of those velcro/fabric "back-belts" that you see people wear for lifting things.

I got it at Wal-mart on the cheap. I can't ride the ZX without it and it fits under my leathers just dandy.

Vicodin, Lortab, Percocet, oxycontin, any of those should help. J/K. I have a compressed L1 vertebrae and two bulging discs above and below the L1, so I know what you are experiencing. I do stretches every morning and every night. Riding a bicycle may be a little easier on your back than jogging, but nothing will shed pounds faster than a good run 3 or 4 times a week. I usually ride with pain, don't have much choice. I refuse to let it ruin my life. My .02

I broke my back in the Army 2.5 years ago.
Strengthen your lower back muscles and start doing kegels and ab exercise. It will vastly improve the current probs your having. They work!

You can add ape-hangers to your Busa.....

If you dont strengthen that back you will live with chronic pain for the rest of your life. Your rides are guaranteed to get shorter and shorter.

Exercise. You'll feel better on and off the bike. Pilates? Why don't you get Richard Simmon's "sweatin' to the oldies" instead?
tounge.gif
Just kidding.

ON TOP OF ALL THE GREAT ADVICE, I WOULD RECOMMEND TRYING A BACK SUPPORT. SIMILAR TO WHAT YOU SEE ON MOVERS. I MIGHT HELP A BIT. THE BLACK WASTE STRAP SUPPORTS THE LOWER BACK ARE WHILE LIFTING HEAVY OBJECTS. IT MIGHT REDUCE THE STRAIN WHILE RIDING.

I have the same problem on my ZX-6. I don't on the Busa. What I do is wear one of those velcro/fabric "back-belts" that you see people wear for lifting things.

I got it at Wal-mart on the cheap. I can't ride the ZX without it and it fits under my leathers just dandy.
That's what I was thinking

You might also be taking some prescription meds that cause back pain. Zocor and some other heart-related meds are famous for this.

Ed

I used to suffer from severe (debilitating) pain from a Herniation at L4-L5 (left) affecting S1. I also had numbness at my right calf due to a bulging disc in the same general area.
The chairman of orthopedics at Georgetown told me to avoid sitting and standing (what's left? Laying down). He also said to ask if my mom would look after me during the recovery from surgery.
It detiriorated for nearly two years to the point that I was considering surgery.
I finally got up off my (not extremely) out of shape arse, took a broom stick and started doing straight leg deadlift like exercises for high repetitions all evening while watching TV.
Before starting I couldn't even touch my knees with straight legs. After two or three sets I could touch my toes. After one or two weeks I was completely asymptomatic.
Strengthen your back muscles. Trim a few inches from your waist (it makes your back muscles stronger and less compressed due to tight belts). The added benefit will be a larger appearing johnson from less body fat.
Do the back strengthening exercises first, then participate in a cardiovascular activity in order to shed the fat.
If you know you're fat you know that this is the cause...
Good luck..

STRETCH!!!! Bend down and reach for yer toes, keep the legs 'slightly bent' to focus the stretch on the lower back instead of the hamstrings and hold the stretch for 30 seconds. rest a few seconds and then repeat for another 30. Before and/or after you ride have your wife massage the lower back and get the blood circulating. The trick is to create elasticity in the muscle as well as get some blood into that area. Excercise WILL help tremendously. It's not your weight that's the problem, your back needs to be strenghtened but not to the point of losing that elasticity. There are machines at the gym that focus on the lower lumbar area. Don't go so much for weight but for reps and endurance. Add resistance when you don't feel the current weight is not enough. Remember to stretch after your workout as a cooldown.

Oh and the most important thing is to ride longer and OFTEN. Your back should adjust to it.

<!--EDIT|gtrpimp76
Reason for Edit: None given...|1127419144 -->

I suffer from muscle spasms in my lower back. One day while on a 100 + mile ride on the Hayabusa my back would not quit hurting. Since that time have researched and here is what works for me.

Bend from the waist, keep your back straight. Don't arch it upward , which is my tendency when I get tired. My most comfortable position is butt back, lean forward with elbows on knees, slight pull forward and arch stomach down toward tank very slightly to keep back aligned. For exercise of lower back lay on floor as if to do pushup but extend arms completely in front. Arch your upper body upward for a count of twenty, do this four or five times a day, two sets each time. It will strengthen your lower back muscles, plus do crunches, which I hate. I am up to 100 now, 50 at a time. Just finished a 3 day ride through New Mexico on the Busa total miles 1,300 + miles no back discomfort at all. My doctor told me of the back arching exercise, I was skeptical but it really works the lower muscles on either side of spine. I am 6' 3" 225.
cool.gif

Bend from the waist, keep your back straight.  Don't arch it upward , which is my tendency when I get tired.  My most comfortable position is butt back, lean forward with elbows on knees, slight pull forward and arch stomach down toward tank very slightly to keep back aligned.
That's how I position too when on longer rides. Even if I'm only doing 80mph. It just feels comfy and natural to me.

Back