Low rpm power loss & top speed way down

JaiHutcherson

Registered
Hey all,

This is my first post but long time lurker. Really good stuff! Ok, here is my bike and situation.
2007 gen 1
30k mileage
Only mods; alien head full exhaust, pair valve removed, back sprocket +3 and ecu flash by Schnitz racing.

back story. Bought the bike used at 14k road it til 25k loving it, no issues. 2nd gear started going out as I found many have. Had entire lower end rebuilt. when I got the rebuild done is when I put the mods in. Got it out and loved it. Now at 30k having issues.

issue 1 - for two weeks straight I had to add about 3/4 quart b oil (I use full synthetic - Mosul). One day I woke up went for ride, checked oil and didn’t lose a drop. Two weeks later..... today, still perfect oil level no drop. During Time when I had to add oil no white or blue smoke and no oil leaks what so ever. Took to my mechanic and he thinks I’m nuts.

Issue 2 - until the oil issue started I couldn’t keep front tire on the ground. Massive power, torque and speed. Today. Unless I’m going to do power wheelie at 8 or 9k I can’t get it off the ground. Low rpm power is more of a ramp up to speed rather than straight power at twist of throttle like it used to be.

issue 3 - I don’t ride my bike anywhere near top speed of bike. 140-165mph is my comfort zone. I do this in 5th at a comfortable 8-9k. Well, at least I did. Now about 140mph is top speed. When I shift to 6th it just Boggs down a bit.

I do not rag the bike. I never even get close to red line. I don’t race. I use good oil and follow maint schedule. However, have never changed spark plugs or air filter. I have air filter On order. My BB mechanic wants 90 for compression test. Fair enough I think. But I wanted to ask here first to see if this sounds common or something I can look into before spending. I am very mechanically apt, I just do not have a lot of tools right now. Been told can’t rebuild lower half without rebuilding top half? Tru false? If a head gasket as I have been told anddismissed is that something I can undertake with manual and you all?

thanks for helping so many of us! Ask away, sorry for length but seen too many told more details are better.

peace,
Jai

Sorry, needed to add....
The bike used to start as soon as I hit the button first crank. No choke. Just easy easy start. It is now, since the oil issue.... sometimes cranking for up to ten seconds to start. If I just stop. Then crank again it will fire up immediately again.

jai

Hey all,

This is my first post but long time lurker. Really good stuff! Ok, here is my bike and situation.
2007 gen 1

30k mileage
Only mods; alien head full exhaust, pair valve removed, back sprocket +3 and ecu flash by Schnitz racing.

back story. Bought the bike used at 14k road it til 25k loving it, no issues. 2nd gear started going out as I found many have. Had entire lower end rebuilt. when I got the rebuild done is when I put the mods in. Got it out and loved it. Now at 30k having issues.

issue 1 - for two weeks straight I had to add about 3/4 quart b oil (I use full synthetic - Mosul). One day I woke up went for ride, checked oil and didn’t lose a drop. Two weeks later..... today, still perfect oil level no drop. During Time when I had to add oil no white or blue smoke and no oil leaks what so ever. Took to my mechanic and he thinks I’m nuts.

Issue 2 - until the oil issue started I couldn’t keep front tire on the ground. Massive power, torque and speed. Today. Unless I’m going to do power wheelie at 8 or 9k I can’t get it off the ground. Low rpm power is more of a ramp up to speed rather than straight power at twist of throttle like it used to be.

issue 3 - I don’t ride my bike anywhere near top speed of bike. 140-165mph is my comfort zone. I do this in 5th at a comfortable 8-9k. Well, at least I did. Now about 140mph is top speed. When I shift to 6th it just Boggs down a bit.

I do not rag the bike. I never even get close to red line. I don’t race. I use good oil and follow maint schedule. However, have never changed spark plugs or air filter. I have air filter On order. My BB mechanic wants 90 for compression test. Fair enough I think. But I wanted to ask here first to see if this sounds common or something I can look into before spending. I am very mechanically apt, I just do not have a lot of tools right now. Been told can’t rebuild lower half without rebuilding top half? Tru false? If a head gasket as I have been told anddismissed is that something I can undertake with manual and you all?

thanks for helping so many of us! Ask away, sorry for length but seen too many told more details are better.

peace,
Jai

Have you ever serviced the fuel filter or fuel pump?

Plugs and air filter are a good place to start, is there any oil in the air filter box?

Can you smell anti-freeze or fuel in the oil?

What does your anti freeze look like?

That’s what I said in original post... I have new plugs and filter on order. They have never been changed. Thank you for the reply.
Saying you have new ones on order isn't the same as describing the condition of the current ones. You can tell a lot about what an engine is doing by reading the plugs. That's why I asked the question...

Saying you have new ones on order isn't the same as describing the condition of the current ones. You can tell a lot about what an engine is doing by reading the plugs. That's why I asked the question...
You and I typing together again....

Wow, so much good info! Thank you for taking your time to help. I want to apologize if my comment about plugs came off wrong.... it wasn’t intended to sound that way. I was trying to confirm I had them in mind. I will pull plugs today and report findings. I do know since the ecu flash it has been running extremely rich. Was told it was ok and that’s what happens after flashing ecu. Have been saving for a full dyno tune and adjust when the c. Virus sidelined me with a layoff. I have not serviced the fuel system in any way. Once plugs are pulled and I hear back what things may or may not look like I can check into the filter and will start researching how to test fuel pump. Yes, oil going for a couple weeks then suddenly stopping sounded like rings to me as well. Crank breather??? Something to look for???

Wow, so much good info! Thank you for taking your time to help. I want to apologize if my comment about plugs came off wrong.... it wasn’t intended to sound that way. I was trying to confirm I had them in mind. I will pull plugs today and report findings. I do know since the ecu flash it has been running extremely rich. Was told it was ok and that’s what happens after flashing ecu. Have been saving for a full dyno tune and adjust when the c. Virus sidelined me with a layoff. I have not serviced the fuel system in any way. Once plugs are pulled and I hear back what things may or may not look like I can check into the filter and will start researching how to test fuel pump. Yes, oil going for a couple weeks then suddenly stopping sounded like rings to me as well. Crank breather??? Something to look for???

Have you pulled the fairings and looked for any oil residue underneath them?

If it's down on power, it could be plugs (be surprised at how changing them makes a big difference) or fuelling, fuel filters are always a good place to start as they can get soiled easily.

@Yellow09 i have pulled the fairings. Absolutely no oil anywhere. I e been pretty positive of that as I keep my garage floor clean and scrubbed with kitty litter so if it ever did have a leak I would see it pretty quick.

@Mr Brown I have pretty much figured that on the running rich. Unfortunately it was my mechanic. He is good at R&R and enexpensive. I just don’t think he has the years or experience under him to see other issues that are not cut and dry. I will have pictures Of plugs today.

again, I want to thank all for chiming in and helping me figure this out.This is a great community.

jai

@Yellow09 i have pulled the fairings. Absolutely no oil anywhere. I e been pretty positive of that as I keep my garage floor clean and scrubbed with kitty litter so if it ever did have a leak I would see it pretty quick.

@Mr Brown I have pretty much figured that on the running rich. Unfortunately it was my mechanic. He is good at R&R and enexpensive. I just don’t think he has the years or experience under him to see other issues that are not cut and dry. I will have pictures Of plugs today.

again, I want to thank all for chiming in and helping me figure this out.This is a great community.

jai
If you were losing oil, it must have been going out the exhaust...maybe under heavy load and hard for you to see...that's the only way I can see you going through oil without seeing a leak. I'd imagine the inside of your pipe is sooty as all heck....

Lol inside and outside around the hole is sooty for sure. I thought that was from running so rich. No white or blue smoke came out at all. I ride with a group of 4-8 guys everytime I ride. I had them watching during the time we were adding oil.

But it had to be going somewhere, right? Either into the coolant via a blown head gasket, or past the rings and into the combustion chamber, or leaking out.

Into the coolant? Lol... laughing at me, not you. Didn’t even know it could go into coolant. I’ve known into crank case, into the pistons, but coolant? Didn’t even look there. I am finishing coffee now then headed to tear down. Will look for sure @Mr Brown . Thanks!

Back