Low idle, + intermittent weak battery start

floydp680

Registered
I have an 05 Busa with scorpion bolt ons and a recent new battery. mostly a stock bike though. I have been having this low idle problem where the bike does not run steady at idle, it surges always below 1000 rpm. if i rev the motor and let go of the throttle it will stop running, sometimes at a stoplight, sometimes in the garage. it has 6000 miles on the clock. i always use super unleaded. on occasion the bike will act like the battery is weak when starting and other times it fires right up. other than that it runs great. i thought that maybe the bolt on pipes and the heat here in arizona made the bike run different. i put on a PCIII usb today and the thing sounds better with some throttle but it still idles very low and quits when i rev it and let go. can anyone help?

the only help i can give is to say adjust the idle screw up, and change plugs.

Your idle is too low, as thepusher said ;adjust he idle screw under the tank on the right side to 1150-1250 rpms... also, was the battery charged before putting it in the bike?

cool thanks, i bought the battery at a shop and they said it was ready to be put into the bike. was there something i was supposed to do before installing the battery? its a sealed battery.

Does the sometimes that it act like its weak happen when you are trying to restart the bike when its hot? +2 on the idle being set too low.

yeah usually when its hot. whats +2 mean? is the idle supposed to be over 1000 rpm? i ordered a K&N filter today and i am going to get plugs too. Also, there are only 4 maps online for 4 different brands of bolt ons but none of them are for scorpion pipes. Does anyone know which one would be best for me?

When these bikes are hot, the starter doesn't like to compete with the compression. You might want to consider putting another fan on the bike here in AZ. I have added mine but have yet to wire it. I have the stuff but don't want to work on it in the heat. It's probably not a low battery. As for maps try loading in the stock map and see how it runs. Seriously I am running a stock map with about 5% more fuel on my '05 with a full exhaust system and it runs far better than any map I've tried.

will you let me know if that second fan makes a big difference. i'll try that stock map for sure then but is it easy to add 5% fuel? i just got my pc3, don't know much about it yet. it was very crisp on my way to work this morning with the Arrow bolt-on map. i liked it and if stock is even better that would be sweet.

yeah usually when its hot. whats +2 mean? is the idle supposed to be over 1000 rpm? i ordered a K&N filter today and i am going to get plugs too. Also, there are only 4 maps online for 4 different brands of bolt ons but none of them are for scorpion pipes. Does anyone know which one would be best for me?
Sorry, someone already added a +1 to the low idle, so I added +2. Anyway, your idle should be set between 1150 and 1250 like MCM stated. When electrical wires get hot, they do not conduct as well, which will also act like a weak battery.

thanks for all the great info everyone. i feel better now. BTW, at what mileage do i go in for a valve adjust?
rock.gif

I keep my idle at 1500 rpm. I took the spring off, and put on a nut and lock washer. It hasn't changed in many thousands of miles. Simple fix that stays fixed.

just my 2 cent's but if it acts like a dead battery when it is hot or cold there is 2 answers, 1 batterys have 2 jobs store power as you all know and the other is starting. that is called cold cranking amps (cca). the battery can be good in 1 of those areas and bad in the other. 2 starter lagg is the other possibility. I have had alot of bikes and cars and what you are describing I would check the cheapest and easiest first ... battery

Back