Low beam issue

SkootRRgirl

Registered
Hey Guys and Gals, haven't been on in a minute but I am having an issue with my 05 busa. When I first got the bike I rode it like a mad dog (ALL THE TIME), but in the last year my riding has been a minimum of every other week due to work. Anyway, on occassion I have had to charge up my battery (new battery mind you) in order for it to start. Other than that I have had no real issues up until last week when the low beam bulb blew, now it did not just pop when I turned the bike on it took it a nice good long ride for it to blow, so I figured it was just an old bulb and it needed changing, so that is what I did, but that one blew as well, tried again and yup it blew again (3x's). So then I pulled the bike apart to try to see what the problem was (maybe a short or something) but nope everything from the front of the bike to the battery was fine, but just to try and narrow the problem I installed a fuse wire on the hot wire so it would blow the fuse rather than the bulb. Tonight I rode the bike around 80-100 miles and wouldn't you know it not only did the low beam blow but so did the high beam. So I am like what the heck. Tomorrow I am going to pull the tail section of the bike, check the rectifier and possibly the stator but really I do not want to have to go and replace the rectifier and stator after a previous issue with that a year or so ago. If anyone has any suggestions or possible solution PLEASE PLEASE fill me, cause as far as I can see I cannot find the problem. Thanks in advanced for everyone's help!:banghead:

Probably the Rectifyer... Surging voltage... Is my thought.

Not good, bulbs will burn out with low or high voltage, poor connections, etc. I'm curious about it being isolated to the head lamps and not affecting the others. I'd put a voltmeter across the battery with the bike at idle and then at 5000 RPMs and see what the voltages are.

Ok I took the tail section off checked the battery with voltage meter with bike off and battery not connected meter read 15.11- 15.25. Reconnected battery started bike at idle meter read 16.2 - 16.30. Reved engine to 2500 rpm meter read 16.60 and stayed. Geez I could start a car with that voltage. Now what do I do??????

looks like its time to replace the voltage regulator/rectifier. Might as well get one of the MOSFET type. POWERHOUSE sells them.

im actually the one working on the bike for her. the battery is caved in on the one side and the rectafier has been replaced this is actually the 3rd one in little over a year. plus the factory one. the connectors on the rectafier was actually taken out and ended up sodering the wires together to eliminate the problem. this one lasted awhile and then all of a sudden this out of no where it started happening again. it is getting really old now.

Pull the downloadable manual for the Gen I and go through the entire electrical system. If you're working on it and have taken voltage readings you'll find it simple. Start out by making sure the entire electrical system is healthy.

That battery is suspect. No doubt it had endured over charging. I would replace it.

You'll find measurements and test for the stator there too. Check every connection for tightness and corrosion ( Florida ). Best of luck.

SkootRRGirl , invest in a battery tender. I got my Jr. for something like $15 years ago but they run about $40 now. It comes with a niffty little pigtail quick connect/disconnect that can hang out from under the seat. Plug the bike in after every ride.

You'll find measurements and test for the stator there too. Check every connection for tightness and corrosion ( Florida ). Best of luck.

SkootRRGirl , invest in a battery tender. I got my Jr. for something like $15 years ago but they run about $40 now. It comes with a niffty little pigtail quick connect/disconnect that can hang out from under the seat. Plug the bike in after every ride.

I had a battery tender hooked up to it, just took it off today to eliminate anything that could be causing the problem, I also took off some LED lights that I was not using as well. I am just so over the rectifier issue for real what the heck!

looks like its time to replace the voltage regulator/rectifier. Might as well get one of the MOSFET type. POWERHOUSE sells them.

Just checked out the pricing on Powerhouse, not a bad deal at all but have you used this rectifier and stator and if so how is it working for you?

I had a battery tender hooked up to it, just took it off today to eliminate anything that could be causing the problem, I also took off some LED lights that I was not using as well. I am just so over the rectifier issue for real what the heck!
I'm stepping way out here, but I've owned a Busa since 2006 and have never had a rectifier or charging issue at all. I have seen a few on here that got stranded with the Gen II because of a rectifier issue. Major Suzuki recall. I've seen a handful of Gen I owners that complained about melted connectors on rectifier.

So you've had it with the electrical system on your ride. Very understandable, but there's something wrong with the electrical system, or at least it sounds like it. Unless it's something very near and dear to you, you might want to remove any electrical mods.

The rectifiers don't just puke on these bikes, normally

I'm stepping way out here, but I've owned a Busa since 2006 and have never had a rectifier or charging issue at all. I have seen a few on here that got stranded with the Gen II because of a rectifier issue. Major Suzuki recall. I've seen a handful of Gen I owners that complained about melted connectors on rectifier.

So you've had it with the electrical system on your ride. Very understandable, but there's something wrong with the electrical system, or at least it sounds like it. Unless it's something very near and dear to you, you might want to remove any electrical mods.

The rectifiers don't just puke on these bikes, normally

I have removed everything from my bike aside from LED lights and that has a transformer box so they not connected directly to the battery. I just don't understand it but I suppose I will just have to replace the entire charging system again, if it fails one more time I am going to believe that I have a faulty wiring harness, its the only thing I can think of if everything else is new.

just a little update on this I did check the diodes and everything came out good. But I did find the red wire off the rectifier was loose kinda loose. I move it some and a small tug and it came out. So I don't no if something else got fried inside the rectifier any ideas

Sounds like a cold solder joint. You can solder it back on and I would put a little heat on the others. Probably caused by heat. If you get the charging circuit put back together and get the battery squared away I would seriously start looking for a drain or other electrical problem with this bike. No sense in continuing to replace stator, rectifier, battery.

ok guys I just replaced the battery and rectifier and still at idle the voltage meter is reading 17 volts and the same at 5000 rpm

scratch the previous post, voltage meter battery was low changed it and everything is reading great at 14.5 HOT DIGITY!

Back