Loud Banging Sound During Engine Start

09Busaa

Registered
Year:
2009 Busa
Background:
Parked for over 6 months.
However, when it was time to leave HI, the movers insisted on an updated registration and safety check.
Given the time shortage-relunctantly rode the bike-instead of to the shop for servicing-to the DMV for registration.
Then rode to the safety guy for a safety check.
Then back to the DMV to finish up the registration process.
Total of about 25miles.

Got back home, turned off the bike and let it sit for a few minutes before attempting to restart to no avail.
Not a battery problem.
During engine start, engine attempts to fire up but bangs loudly and repeatedly as long and the starter is engaged.

Bike will not start.

Sorry for the long message-I could used any help-thanks in advance.

rod may have broken? so it's just throwing the piston up and it's falling, no compression to keep engine running. Might have seized over the months (though unlikely i think)... was there oil in the engine? Sounds like it ran fine up until you finally parked.

So the run may have damaged if no/little oil....

That's my take based on what you got up there....

No reason or rhyme here. Pull the starter and see what it looks like and if it runs without making any noise. Just don't hear about starter or starter clutch issues in Gen IIs, Mine fires right up every time, 2008 over 50K miles. Lots of short trips to lunch, etc. In other words lots of cranking. I couldn't begin to understand given your description of events how you spun a bearing, much less broke a con rod, etc. However if it is internal cranking on it isn't improving things.

starter clutch, locks one direction spins free other way. spin it to lock point and hold there while wiggling it against lock point if it slips once it's done. i can get you new one lmk

Last edited:
Before you do all of that, pull the clutch cover and make sure the bolts didnt back out and are in contact with the cover. It will sound horrendous if they have. Check that first as it is an easy fix.

Is it a mechanical bang or like a loud backfire.
Sit on the bike with it in gear, sidestand up and clutch in....crank the engine and lightly release the clutch and see if it tries driving the bike forward....if it does its not the starter.
Sticky clutch plates might make a noise as they try to seperate.
When you rode the bike the 25 miles did it feel ok power wise.

I really do not have any input here. But I'am really curious to hear what the issue is. I would be doing a compression test, looking into the spark plug hole's with a scope type camera, taking everything I could apart to locate the source of the noise. I would not be able to go to sleep until I found out what was wrong. But I'am a little special and have a touch of OCD:whistle:

Back