Loud Bang ? Check your countershaft!

OB_ducmanic

Registered
The first time i ever lit up the bus (mile 7), there was a loud "bang", like a shot going off from the cases of my bike. Today when i changed the chain and sprockets, i found my counter shaft sprocket missing one tooth and another broken in half. This leads me to believe the fact that the stock counter shaft sprocket is not the best. This is the cause of my chain stretching about five inches in 1,500 miles. Also i believe the fact that the stock chain is junk. Now to put the L.H. side cover on and go "test my chain".
ducmanic
Los Angeles

Ducmanic: Want to know why nobody except me has responded to this post?

Because words like "Loud bang" and "Check your counter shaft" just make everyone want to run off and have three quick bourbons.

If you would rename your subject something like "NEW WAY TO MAKE NOISE" or "HOW TO REBUILD YOUR TRANNY FOR QUIETER OPERATION," you might get more response.

Just a thought.

Next time you have some roll-on hesitation, please DO NOT entitle your post "ENGINE BALK KILLS WIFE!!!!"

QUESTION: I know that racers like to break their engines in real quick, but why did you light up your Busa at mile 7?

[This message has been edited by Dirty Pete (edited 22 August 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Dirty Pete (edited 22 August 1999).]

Peter,
Thanks for the pointers on semantics. You would not believe the increase in power to the ground just by changing to a D.I.D. ER chain and new locally made sprockets. My
burnout's are longer, the bike pulls harder and wheelies quicker.
The burnout, (at mile 7) was just because i was curious about how the bike lit up, and because the local coffee shop was filled with am poser's. I tried to break my bike in below 5,500rpm for 600 miles, then below 8,000rpm until 1,000miles. Not including burnout's of course, which don't count. Now im stretching in the new chain, two burnout's at a time,trying to find the point it wants to settle at. The bike handles better with the short wheelbase from putting the adjusters as far forward as possible with the stock 16-40 gears. How was your day/night?
ducmanic
Los Angeles

Ducmanic: I'm going to reduce my countersprocket by 2 teeth this winter.

Thanks for the tips on buying higher quality chain and sprockets. Makes some sense.

I know how you feel about the posers. In Canada we call them "poseurs" in deference to our bi-lingual policy. I'm sick of seeing awesome bikes like R1s and Busas and Blades with all the best aftermarket stuff on them and the rider with pristine knee and toe sliders but the tires have no frigging wear on them anywhere near the edge!!!!!!!!!

Then these guys pull out of the lot with both feet down and are in third before they're across the intersection.

Why do they buy sport bikes?

I like to burn those guys, too.

I think Pete is right. I read the post, and my reaction was, "Aaugh!!! Why would anyone want to treat their brand new, beautiful baby that way at seven miles?"

When my older brother was a Kawasaki mechanic, he took a brand new 1000 (Z1-R) out after setting it up for a 'friend', and did a block-long burnout with 2 miles on it. I asked him 'What in the HELL are you doing?' He said 'You gotta seat the valves man!' I said 'What about the 1,500 miles you just took off his new back tire?' He said 'Ah, those stock tires are kind of junk anyway'.

Silly me at 16 years old, to question a professional. I obviously didn't know anything.

Tell me Ducmanic, are you planning on trading in your 'Busa next year?

Peter,
IMHO, Two teeth is a lot. Try one at a
time. If you drop two teeth your bike will pull real hard. Great for the eighth, but to low for general use. Now thats a "Quality Problem".
ducmanic
Los Angeles

Mr Bear,
No im not trading in my Bussa any time
soon. I keep bikes pretty much forever, strangely though i worked as a Kawasaki mechanic in 1970-71. Like i said above, i broke the Bus' in by the book, except for a handfull of burnouts. Hey-life is good! Like
Lee and other's have said, these motors need
to be run in harder than smaller high reving
SuperSport bikes.
ducmanic
Los Angeles

Back