lost the chain on the way home tonight

johnstein

Donating Member
Registered
So its dark now , I was kickin along in the 70+ moh range all of a sudden Pop ! and rpms go through the roof ? I was accelerating . realized the chain was gone , pulled ovev chain still hanging in there looks like the master link is gone ? chain has 12,000 miles on iz ekzzzz somthin or other srill in good shape no rust kinks or damage? when I got to the side of the road I expected the worst , coolant leaKING ,BENT SHIFT ROD , but everything seems fine dry as a bone no coolant ? shifter seems functional ?

what will I find in the day light , will I need the popped chain repair kit ? or did I just get lucky ? do they usualy start blowing coolant right away ? :beerchug:

So its dark now , I was kickin along in the 70+ moh range all of a sudden Pop ! and rpms go through the roof ? I was accelerating . realized the chain was gone , pulled ovev chain still hanging in there looks like the master link is gone ? chain has 12,000 miles on iz ekzzzz somthin or other srill in good shape no rust kinks or damage? when I got to the side of the road I expected the worst , coolant leaKING ,BENT SHIFT ROD , but everything seems fine dry as a bone no coolant ? shifter seems functional ?

what will I find in the day light , will I need the popped chain repair kit ? or did I just get lucky ? do they usualy start blowing coolant right away ? :beerchug:

rivet or clip master link?

I am betting clip at this point ???

Where is the Bike?
Check for visual damage B/4 you start it up again.
I am glad to hear you are okay and did not do a get off.
I knew a guy who had a chain break at speed and it was not pretty.
I have often wondered what a chain break feels like and have been fortunate enough not to have had that experience.
Good luck to you Bro and good riding:thumbsup:
Bubba

Last edited:
You may have gotten lucky and it spit the chain out the rear with no damage. It would be a good idea to check everything just to be sure.

If it broke the case, trust me, it'll be blowing coolant and/or oil right away. Sounds like you got really lucky, new chain and sprockets, go ride.
Master link failed.
Clip, not surprised.
Riveted, somebody didn't get it punched right.

If your chain was clipped your lucky it didn't pop much sooner. 12k on a ZZZ is not bad mileage wise. As for what you'll need, at the minimum a new EK ZZZ chain with RIVET master link.

Yes your damn lucky it didn't let go on the way foward and wipe out the water pump, shift rod, etc. And lucky it didn't wad up around the rear and lock the rear tire up.

Lucky man.
Spring for a new chain at least, may be sprockets.
That could have gone a lot worse - even an endo for you.

stock chain lasted 28,000 miles and still looked new , had it at a dealer on the east end (Yamaha/Kawasaki) for a month , supposed to get new tires ,have new forks installed (shipped there from Goldenchild ,Thanks again!) along with a new chain and sprockets, after a month called them up , no awnser as to a date to install the forks , chain and sprockets were not ordered yet ? Pulled bike from the dealer , 4 days later within 100 miles ( new tires tskin it easy) chain pops on the way home ? yes it was a clip link but it was on there for 12,000 miles ? I hope there is not too much damage ? also glad the chain hung on the bike i was ocer 70 with a bike in the rear view real close to me He looked like he saw a ghost saw his face through the tinted shield , couldve been bad for him also.:beerchug:

Lucky you...

Hit me up for a great chain package and no it won't have a zzz near it...

Pm me some info also need a rear sprocket , I have a new front already . I think I have a 43 on there now , maybe a 44 or 45 rear? :beerchug:

Glad that didn't go much worse. A couple parts and hopefully you are back on the road no worse for wear. Not very many riders get off that easy!
Posted via Mobile Device

I remember a guy posted on here years ago with a snapped chain & it gashed his legopen pretty bad
Posted via Mobile Device

I carry spare masters with the riv-kit in the hump, "Just for moments like this". Glad all is well..... :super:

Lots of guys here use the ZZZ and love it.
I use a ZVX and love it and have a ZZZ waiting for the next change.
Like any chain it is only as good as the weakest link which is usually the master link not installed properly.

I run a zvx on my turbo bike...no issues.

Back