Lost a friend this week

greg3852

Registered
Had to lay to rest a great friend of mine who was more like a father/grandfather figure in my life.

Octavio "Tacky" Pragana was 16 when he enlisted in the Navy to fight in WW2. He was on the USS Canberra when it was torpedoed in the Pacific. He then went on to fight in Korea as well. After that, he joined the local police department where he worked from 1959 till 1988. He worked out at the gym every single day until just before his death. He was one hell of a guy and a best friend. He was 93 years old and still rode his Harley. He had the mouth of a sailor and we made sure we gave him poop every single day. He loved it though. He gave as good as he got. Rough week. It was the only funeral or wake I've been to since my Dad passed in 2013. Gonna miss him alot.

Him with his Harley.
IMG_E2857.JPG

Tacky with my key to my Lexus after he stole it. He then sent me this picture with his nub of a middle finger..lol
IMG_2867.JPG

We went to Washington a few years ago.
IMG_2515.JPG

My thoughts are with you @greg3852 and others who loved Tacky. Seems like he enriched your life by being part of it, and for that I'm sure you are grateful. That middle picture tells me what kind of man he was, it made me smile big time! May his spirit live on in you and others he influenced.
Rest easy sailor, your duty is fulfilled.

My Granfather, and wife's Grandad were both WW2 vets.
Definately "The Greatest Generation".
When men simply did whatever needed done, and thought nothing of it.
Sad to see that most of them are gone now.
I'm sorry you lost a friend, but am glad you had a friend of that character.
May God bless his family and friends.

Sorry it took me a bit to post to this, I usually don’t like posting on the emotional or personal threads until I can actually read and interpret what was posted.
I can tell that tacky was one of those guys that no matter the day your having could make you laugh till you cried. Who prob even in his old age had a punch that would leave you asking WTF? After he socks you one jokeingly. It’s these men who enlighten us on the “good old days” and you can picture their lives and what they experienced. I’m sorry that you lost someone close and special to you Greg. We are all here for you

Agreed, can be tough to know what to say about such a personal loss. Sounds like a good old codger with a lot of history and a personality that made him fun to have in your life. My condolences.

Back