loss or damage in transit

Mythos

Registered
Just received a package. Remembered reading the copy below on a web site I recently ordered from. Decided to do as recommended. UPS guy told me "we do not take packages back because once it is in our possession it is our responsibility." Everything was fine with this order today. It was just a sprocket.

I have a bunch of stuff coming from the company that wrote the damage/loss policy below. I DID pay extra for shipping insurance. Is the UPS guy going to stand there and wait while I open everything and give it the green light?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All claims for loss or damage in transit must be made to the carrier at the time of delivery.

You have to tell the UPS person or other carrier, at the time of delivery, that the item is damaged the same day the item is delivered. You can not wait two or three days to file claim. The insurance on shipped parts is with the carrier, not Schnitz Racing.

The original box or package must be kept for the carrier to inspect. Don't throw anything away, keep it in the original box, with all of the packing materials. This especially applies to bodywork.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, UPS is really good about that. If we have a package that even looks questionable, he will ask that we open it to make sure all is good. Just have everything you need to open the box ready and let him know what is going on. I am sure he will be more than happy to wait 2 minutes.

I sometimes pay the extra for insurance also, and got the run around when a claim needed to be paid for damage.

The shipper insisted UPS dropped it and damaged the item, UPS claimed it was not packaged properly and did not pay. The item was well protected with foam and bubble wrap, but the box could have been larger to keep it away from the sides better.

At any rate, does this excuse UPS when the package was dropped, or tossed, or whatever occurred to cause the box to be torn and the contents damaged in the first place~?~

They refused claim payment on this item.

BTW, (("The original box or package must be kept for the carrier to inspect. Don't throw anything away, keep it in the original box, with all of the packing materials. This especially applies to bodywork")) according to them, this information is for when the UPS rep picks the package back up for inspection.

I did have a problem where they said insufficient packing.... The package was soaking WET!! I asked if I was supposed to waterproof it and they ending up paying. I think we have had four claims in about 20,000 shipments and they paid for all of them.

Thanks guys. I was a package handler at UPS 10 years ago. If you knew how that stuff was thrown, jammed and dropped, ,,,,,,,,you might not ever ship anything valuable without some kind of insurance.

I've never had anything shipped damaged before and everything has been delivered that was supposed to be delivered. Just wondering since insurance was offered for +$2 and I accepted it....what good will it be? Like all insurance, you hope you never find out how good it is.

Thanks guys. I was a package handler at UPS 10 years ago. If you knew how that stuff was thrown, jammed and dropped, ,,,,,,,,you might not ever ship anything valuable without some kind of insurance.

I've never had anything shipped damaged before and everything has been delivered that was supposed to be delivered. Just wondering since insurance was offered for +$2 and I accepted it....what good will it be? Like all insurance, you hope you never find out how good it is.

I have several friends that work at the UPS hub down the street from the dealership who say the same thing. Kind of bothers me a little to hear that knowing that I ship everything through them, but "knock on wood", I have yet to have issues shipping anything through them. Everything we ship is insured up to $100 and if the product is more than that, we state how much the parts are worth on the label.

When I ship Hayabusa plastics to members on here, you can bet that they are fully covered for the price of the plastics haha

....... I have yet to have issues shipping anything through them. ...
Don't mean to alarm anyone. i haven't had a bad experience with anything delivered through USPS, Fed Ex or UPS. The success rate has been 100%. The issue of insurance came to my attention and that made me start to think, "What If?"

........but that is the primary selling point of insurance, isn't it?

I had an issue with a Scorpio alarm I sent back to the vendor. It was lost. I sent them an invoice for a replacement and they cut a check within a week. I insured it for $500, it cost me like 2 bucks. PS. A month later, it showed back up at my house....

The shipper insisted UPS dropped it and damaged the item, UPS claimed it was not packaged properly and did not pay. The item was well protected with foam and bubble wrap, but the box could have been larger to keep it away from the sides better.

At any rate, does this excuse UPS when the package was dropped, or tossed, or whatever occurred to cause the box to be torn and the contents damaged in the first place~?~

Mine was a PS3 system console. It had obviously been dropped or thrown and the corner of the box ripped out. The case of the PS3 console was broken partly fell off.

They still refused even though it was an obvious damage on their end...the run around really got me aggravated though, because the sender kept saying I had to file through UPS and UPS said I have no right to since I didn't send the item (even though I was the one who paid for insurance), but still filed the claim and denied payment once the shipper filed a claim also.

After threatening with closing arguments :whistle: I finally got the shipper to fix the damage (it had been sent to them for internal repairs anyway)

I shipped a part one time and was told I did not pack it good enough. I stood their and packed one right in front of them and told them that every one os packed the same. They then paid my claim and I never had any more trouble. I always insured everything I shipped. Believe me, If you ship a lot of things it will get you one day if you don't insure it. JMO

I don't think the seller can back up their demand that you open the box immediately, for what it's worth. If you didn't damage the item it's not your responsibility to pay for it. Now how you get your money from them is another story.....

If you use a major credit card just let them handle it. Citi Bank says you can return anything no matter what the seller says. I had an issue once with a stereo speaker I ordered. After argueing with the guys for 2 weeks I called CitiBank and they called them and the next day there was a return shipping slip in my mail box!

Back