Loss of Air Pressure

murderwon

Registered
Weirdest thing...Went to work Saturday morning and came back to ride my bike but the rear tire was flat. Didn't realize it until I backed it out of the garage. I immediately aired it back up to 42 PSI. Now I went out to check on it today and the pressure has dropped to 11 PSI. Has this happened to anyone else? Inspected the tire but did not see any punctures or nails.

You need to mix a little liquid soap and water in a pan and rotate the tire slowly through it. You should notice some bubbles around your leak. If that doesn't show a leak then take a little of the mixture and place it on the air valve stem. You're not magically losing 11 PSI in 72 hours.

soap water is the best / cheapest way to find an air leak on anything that is holding pressure

Soapy water is your friend, or the bathtub. That pressure is going somewhere so there must be a leak. Take your time and get it taken care of!

Keep it shinny side up!
-D

Plus 100 on the stem. Check where it mounts to the rim and also check the valve core is tight. Just wipe a little soapy water across the valve opening and check for bubbles.

Has nothing to do with your leak, but 42 psi is a bad idea, way too much.
Tire pressure also increases 2 to 3 lbs or more as tires get hot.
Suzuki says 42 psi because they don't make tires and don't want sued.
42 psi is the MAX pressure, and you don't want the max.
The higher the psi, the less traction you have.
Try 36 to 38 cold. Add a lb for a passenger.
The front should be the around the same.
36 psi cold front/rear is a good reference/starting point.
34/34 psi cold is good for hard cornering, which I know you aren't doing with 42psi in the rear.
Remember, the tires are the only thing between you and the road. Too much psi makes for too small of a contact patch of tire on the road.
You also need to set the suspension sag if you have not, that will allow it to perform at it's best for YOUR weight.
Good tires with correct psi, correct suspension sag(and of coarse good brakes) trump extra hp any day!:beerchug:

after reading this i went too the garageand checked out the rubber...

running 40 rear 38 front...

put both down to about 37.. will try this out..

weather permitting:banghead:

Back