Losing the turbo battle...

OB_mbuehler

Registered
Sigh... Tried fifth, fourth, third, and second gear. Nothing. Popped the filter off, and the turbine is noticeably stiffer to rotate, but still turns. Oil is still flowing, I can here the pump pulling it up and returning it to the motor. Going to see if it turns easier when it's cooled. About ready to request a new one, as this is starting to take too much of my time :(

MAN oh man..do I feel for you..thats from the heart brother! YOu need to take this up with the manufacturer!!!
sebby

A post of mine from another list I'm on, it's making sense now.

I knew I wasn't nuts! It *occasionally* makes boost! Put a hard test ride in tonight. Took it easy checking out the route, then made my runs coming back. Nothing, in any gear, which ticked me off since I did get boost heading into work. Got back and pulled the filter, no oil, but the turbines were stiff and would
barely turn when I revved it up. *Insert frustrated sigh here*. Let the
bike cool down, and magically they turn freely again. Heat it up with more
then a 10 or so mile ride, and they barely turn. Cold they turn easily, start the
bike and while oil flows (but still cold) they turn even easier. I'm about
to declare the turbo defective unless Mr. Turbo has an explanation for this.
This explains why it worked right after the install (short ride), but not
the ride home from John's, going to work (very short ride), but not after I
sweep for leos then do test runs.

Or could I be interpreting this wrong? I want to call tomorrow and get
another unit sent out.

Like Mark Moisan told me, "You get what you pay for!" Thats why one kit costs $4000 and the other costs $6000.

Didn't you know that before talking to Mark? Hate to correct him but,you don't even always get what you paid for. Just ask anyone who paid RBRacing in advance for their parts.

[This message has been edited by Gary Evans (edited 08 August 2000).]

I think so. Haven't seen any on the compressor side, and no smoke from the exhaust. There was some in the ducting to the plenum, but I think that was leftovers from last time. Hasn't dripped at all in the last 20 miles I put on it, so of course something else has to be wrong now :)

mb why in hell are you taking apart a brand new turbo that's broke? Like NLR said, I'd be raising heck with the distributor. If I bought a new vette and it started running crappy I sure as hell wouldn't be dicking with it. Didja get any kind of warranty on it???

Disassembly was directed my Mr. Turbo himself, so I'm not worried about warranty violation. They're still not convinced it's broken, and I've managed to correct the oil problem (not sure exactly how though), all that's left is freeing up the turbines. I'm close, hopefully all resolved this weekend, or I send it back.

Oiling problem may have been just that. There is a pump for return, closer inspection showed the return line had a few tight bends in it. Not seeing any oil now, and once it's all cleaned out I can be sure. V-Clamp is snug, but I'll double check all that tomorrow (taking day off) when I remove the turbo again. I hear you on the heat shield, I'll give the welds a look over as well. There are some performance shops around here for cars, I'm going to see if they carry a better shield for the Rayjay.

Hang in there! Your oiling problem was most likely on the return side which allows the oil level to rise up to the turbine seal. If this happens the turbine seal is not designed to stop it from going into the turbine. Perhaps it was air in the return line. Even though the turbo design your using is dated I've seen them run for years on street bikes and they still can generate big HP numbers. I'm sure he will make it right if your unit has a problem that you cannot solve.

MB. Sounds like your problem is with the v clamp on the turbo like motorhead said. Make sure this clamp is tight. If not it slightly rubs the heat sheild and drags the turbine or exhaust fan. The result, no boost. You also have a spot welded two piece heat sheild. Take it out, walk in your back yard and throw it as far as you can! What happens is one of the welds break and the result is the turbine eating itself and the heat sheild. Cost is aprox.350 for the turbine if you can find one, and about 90 for the heat sheild. The fix is to install a one piece stainless heat sheild. Ask Terry for one. If he dosent have one e mail NLR he can get you one. If not seb knows how to get a hold of me. I just finished putting a MR Turbo kit on a busa about two weeks ago. No problems yet. Smokes the tire through the first three gears. Good luck!

Chris

I had some oil leaking problem with my GSX1100-turbo. The turbo was leaking oil on the turbine side.

The return line should, like in a car installation, be conected to the charger half a meter above the oil level in the sump. On a bike installation it can be just a few centimeters above the oil level. Maybe you need an oilpump to get the sufficient oil flow through the turbo charger?

I have had no problems with my MC-Xpress Busa though. Return the kit and make them fix it.

We are all behind you!

Back