Loop around the Continental Unites States

b0a73dd7.jpg

How can anyone tour the country and not come south? ???

Just a question, but if your shy on $$$$$ , what is your budget and how long do you have to complete the tour ?? Also, remember you'll need tires somewhere along the trip ! I figured a 4 corners once, and the cost just didn't justify the ride .

I don't understand this statement.

If I had to cost-justify my rides, I'd never go anywhere ???

Der Weg ist das Ziel... and all that.

When the cost for just me riding is greater than my wife and I taking a vacation for two weeks (which we do). Then justifying the cost and leaving her at home while I ride alone for 25 days (that's a 500 mile a day average with 2 stop days -total mileage from my home is 11,200 miles- the cost becomes between $4,500 and $ 5,000). Over making several short trips (5 to 7 days on a tour) , then for me, we'll go visit friends in Europe or take a trip TOGETHER around the Good Ole USA !

I've done lots of Long Tours and in fact I have a schedule of 5 trips averaging from 5 to 10 days to cover the entire US. This allows me to do several trips, PLUS take my wife on several extended trips also and with HER BLESSINGS !!!!!! The Biggest Factor !!!!!

i am in the beginning stages of planning a ride around the Continental Unites States.
shoe string budget, not much time to play tourist. Have any of you ridden a Loop around the Continental Unites States?

here is the 1st map i have put together plotting the course. :beerchug:

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...oq=casp&mra=dpe&mrsp=7&sz=5&via=1,2,7&t=m&z=5

Ok you've got to jump off I-10 in TX and hit FM 337 if not all three of the sisters, that straight highway stuff is no fun.

Just a question, but if your shy on $$$$$ , what is your budget and how long do you have to complete the tour ?? Also, remember you'll need tires somewhere along the trip ! I figured a 4 corners once, and the cost just didn't justify the ride .

$2000 and 21 days. that does not include tires or any extras, $2000 for Gas and Food and Lodging.

$2000 and 21 days. that does not include tires or any extras, $2000 for Gas and Food and Lodging.

I pulled some notes from my 4 corners route and here are my ESTIMATED cost !

Fuel for 11,200 miles at 42 mpg at $3.85 per gal $ 1,027
Food $ 30 per day with occasional tip at full restaurant $ 750
Tires (4) twice changed (1st to start/2nd along the way) $ 900
Chain sprockets $ 235
Oil Change $ 40
Lodging Avg $90 per day $ 2,250
Comes up to $ 5,202

Of course my trip went from Maine thru Canada to Washington, and you could probably cut off some on your food and lodging, but adding up things like ongoing maintance could be higher depending on where you get the bike serviced. Me, I already had dealers in mine to be ready for my arrival with everything ready for me when I arrived - like tires, chains , sprockets etc.

Anyway, good traveling and have fun :thumbsup:!!

i have found my cause!
the Drowning Support Network.
for some of you that may not know, i lost my daughter Kira to the negligence of a lifeguard. she was at swimming lessons, they didn't watch her, and she drown. :down:
it destroyed my life. i have never been the same.
if me telling my story saves even 1 life, the ride is worth it.

i am going to put together a powerpoint presentation, gather sponsors and $$ and hit the road.
i would love to see if i could raise $10,000. that is about a buck a mile. :thumbs:

like i said "everything good, starts as a good idea.".

I have done a big loop around the country 3 times now. Each of them came up to around 10K miles and were a blast. Stop and smell the roses so to speak and enjoy the ride when you can.

I have done a big loop around the country 3 times now. Each of them came up to around 10K miles and were a blast. Stop and smell the roses so to speak and enjoy the ride when you can.

did you blog or do a trip report on it? anything you can teach me? ???
with me raising $$ for a cause and doing some speaking, i may go over the 23 day allowance of the "Southern Cali folks that ride around the country". i could use some advice on where to smell the roses. :thumbs:

No, sorry I did not. I would set the GPS for a point and just go. If I went by some place that I wanted to stop, I would stop.

For example, when I left home (GA) and was headed north to WI I did not even get out of the south before I saw a sign for Ruby Falls. This is a waterfall inside of a cave and it is pretty cool. When I was headed west one year I was going through SD and came across the badlands and went through the park and climbed a couple of the smaller hills. Going near Yellowstone? I was in the area one time and spent 2 days there.

You have to get off the interstate from time to time and see the country instead of letting it pass you by.

hey red....dont know if i mentioned it....as you comeing through erie on 90. you need a place to sleep and all text me at 814 779 1050 or call the house ahead of time if you need to 814 580 0065. im about 30 min from 90.

if you are coming down through CT, I'd say hop the ferry over and come ride on long island for the sights. There's lots of great coast to see and beats the hell out of the boring slab ride around NYC. Adds some miles but some great spots for sure. I'm jealous, wish I could get enough time to do a ride like that, suspect it will be a few years before I can even think about it. If ya need something out this way give me a shout :thumbsup:

Back