Looks like I lost 5th gear!

PADEROLIS

Registered
Busa wont shift into 5th gear anymore, but will still shift all other gears including 6th just fine. I'm being told bent shift fork(s) and or rounded dogs. In any case the engine is going to have to be removed and the cases split! I rode it Friday to work and it shifted fine, I went on a ride on Saturday with some buddies and noticed on the highway the problem, I originally thought it was 6th gear but have confirmed it is 5th. I've never tackled a job like this before and am hearing it can be very expensive to have a shop do it (maybe 3K or more), gotta figure out what I'm going to do! I'm not even certain of the actual miles on the engine as the gauge cluster was replaced a while back due to it stopped working, and the original got lost. I know it easily has over 50k on it though.

I guess it depends on how much time you have.
A shop will quote you a time period and that might be way less time they what it might take you having never done it before.
I assume you could do it as it's not rocket science but most things are hard before they are easy.

So it comes down to money vs time. :banghead: Also a shop might have to guarantee it, at least for a short time.

Good luck and let us know what route you go. Personally this is the first time I have heard of just 5th gear being bad. At least on a bike. :laugh:

Red; that's what I've been told! It's usually second gear that I read about especially on the Busa! Adam (Spudley) told me he could help me do the job, just have to decide the best route. I work at a car dealership so I have the tools and facilities, just need the time and knowledge. Don't know if it's better to do the job at work (after I'm off) or take it to Spudley's house and work on it on weekends. Then there's the "time to get something new crew", which of course sounds great but there are other things that take priority and I really have to weigh that option!

hate to hear this! isn't it great to have friends like Spudley though?!?! hope it doesn't take too long to get back on two especially with it being this time of year!

Or,buy a motor out of a wrecked Busa...save time,save money,go to a lower mileage motor,and have spare parts.:thumbsup:

RSD.

I have 3 bikes at my garage for tranny's now, if you have the ability, try it your self.
There are good short cuts to doing the job, just split the lower end.
As for the repair, dont replace the gears, undercut them.

I'm leaning toward doing the repair myself, although the wife says we can go this weekend and at least inquire about a new one. I've read a few threads online that says I dont have to remove the engine and split the cases, if it's just a bent shift fork that needs replacement. Is it advisable to still remove the engine and split the cases? If the only problem is a bent shift fork do I still need to have the gears undercut?

I'm leaning toward doing the repair myself, although the wife says we can go this weekend and at least inquire about a new one. I've read a few threads online that says I dont have to remove the engine and split the cases, if it's just a bent shift fork that needs replacement. Is it advisable to still remove the engine and split the cases? If the only problem is a bent shift fork do I still need to have the gears undercut?
You just need to split the bottom. You undercut the gears so it doesn't happen again.(good time to take care of that 2nd gear issue right)
RSD.

Once you split the case everything is accessible. It has to be split no other way!

yep look for a wrecked bike with good motor. I thought I saw on craigslist a 1340 motor with 3330 miles on it for $3500

Back