Looking to join the ranks.

Keep us up to date brother :thumbsup:

Will do update is the race car is gone.

Motor parts are at the shop. Turbo is a big 16G, 38mm wastegate. Tial Q BOV off the race car. Hand built exhaust mani coming and hand built Intake mani also.

Not tearing the bike down till the snow comes :D need the seat time :D.

I put 7.5k miles on my bike in the last year, it is used everyday if the weather permits. Oil changes, plugs, tires coolant, and air filter cleaning are expected maintenace.I've had cracked FMU shims, leaky throttlebody boots, cracked header, dry rotted fuel lines, another cracked header ,and cracks in the wastegate hose (boost spiked to 28psi) all in a years time. If you drag race, save up for an undercut tranny, shift forks, output shaft, and shift shafts. Stay away from Hahns kit even if its on sale.Extra money for a stage 2 will save you from the FMU headache.I've had built 2 gsxr 1100s,3 zx9s, 1 gsxr 750, and a built 83 gs 750. The main things that matter to me is that the bike cranks everytime and I don't have to call for a truck to pick me up. I love the boost but it adds more variables. More power will always find the weakest link in the drivetrain.

sounds like you had an extremely crappy kit for 2 cracked headers

let me guess, a hahn kit

I put 7.5k miles on my bike in the last year, it is used everyday if the weather permits. Oil changes, plugs, tires coolant, and air filter cleaning are expected maintenace.I've had cracked FMU shims, leaky throttlebody boots, cracked header, dry rotted fuel lines, another cracked header ,and cracks in the wastegate hose (boost spiked to 28psi) all in a years time. If you drag race, save up for an undercut tranny, shift forks, output shaft, and shift shafts. Stay away from Hahns kit even if its on sale.Extra money for a stage 2 will save you from the FMU headache.I've had built 2 gsxr 1100s,3 zx9s, 1 gsxr 750, and a built 83 gs 750. The main things that matter to me is that the bike cranks everytime and I don't have to call for a truck to pick me up. I love the boost but it adds more variables. More power will always find the weakest link in the drivetrain.

I will agree with you on the oil changes, as they should be done at every 4000 miles on a turbo bike, with the proper tune the plugs should last the year, tires will be personal riding, but yes with the extra power tire life will shorten, and you will have to clean the airfilter more often, but I have no idea why coolant would be a service item. Your other issues sound more like a manufacturer was using cheap parts, or parts not rated for their purpose, not really a good idea from a manufacturers stand point as word will get around, plus using the wrong hose or even hose clamps could pose a possible fire issue and lawsuit. FMU troubles typically stem from one brand of FMUs and pushing them to a higher boost level then what they were designed to be used for,

Richard

Hey Hit man, the turbo guru has spoken. Care to answer that one??:laugh::laugh:

Richard the stage 1 kit install is going along very nicely. You really put together a very detailed and quality kit. I did get your BOV email reply a couple days ago thank you for the very quick response.

Cool glad to hear the install is going smoothly,

Richard

S4L and Richard , I agree, Hahn makes a pretty crappy kit. My tuner told me Hahn Jr. doesn't care about the bad quality of the kit and his map for the kit is junk. The ceramic coating is a cheap substitution for stainless headers. The turbo flange came with seven 9/16'' nuts and one 14 or 15mm nut. I later read a 2001 Sport Rider article on Hahns hayabusa kit blowing up the test bike because Hahn was not aware of the factory changes and used the wrong power commander. I guess that my opinion on turbo busas is tainted because of my personal experience with Hahns kit. For the time I'm stuck with it. I've wanted to drive to Chicago and sling this header at him and let him know how I feel. Customer no-service there sucks worse than a government run office.

S4L and Richard , I agree, Hahn makes a pretty crappy kit. My tuner told me Hahn Jr. doesn't care about the bad quality of the kit and his map for the kit is junk. The ceramic coating is a cheap substitution for stainless headers. The turbo flange came with seven 9/16'' nuts and one 14 or 15mm nut. I later read a 2001 Sport Rider article on Hahns hayabusa kit blowing up the test bike because Hahn was not aware of the factory changes and used the wrong power commander. I guess that my opinion on turbo busas is tainted because of my personal experience with Hahns kit. For the time I'm stuck with it. I've wanted to drive to Chicago and sling this header at him and let him know how I feel. Customer no-service there sucks worse than a government run office.

well a full step up isn't needed...

Richard will happily sell you a new ss header and a Garrett turbo and exhaust...

then have it mapped.

Cool, I've put the bike on the "once I'm employed again" to-do list. I might build a header and buy everything else to build it from the motor up.I've got to do the tranny and maybe do an engine overhaul, this thing has seen alot of hard miles. That APE 2mm crank looks pretty tempting.This time I'm putting the best parts in it so I can get rid all of the weak points.$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Cool, I've put the bike on the "once I'm employed again" to-do list. I might build a header and buy everything else to build it from the motor up.I've got to do the tranny and maybe do an engine overhaul, this thing has seen alot of hard miles. That APE 2mm crank looks pretty tempting.This time I'm putting the best parts in it so I can get rid all of the weak points.$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

buy a used motor...add a spacer...part yours out and get a good map

turbos do not have to be expensive if you respect their limitations.

the tune is the MOST important thing, in any turbo application, two wheels or four.

Back