Looking to Get a Hayabusa - Introduction

0maha

Registered
Greetings!

By way of introduction, 57 yo, been riding for decades.

Along the way, I had a couple of Suzukis. A first-year SV650 and later a DL1000. Always was fond of those.

Then a while back I went broke, and everything got sold.

Ten or so years ago, got my head above water and got back on two wheels. At the risk of getting off on the wrong foot around here, I'll say that I've been riding old-ish HD's. First a 1990 FXR, then a 1990 ElectraGlide, and last year I built a '97 Sportster powered bobber. I sold the FXR a while back, but still have the glide and the bobber.

bobber_11-Reduced.jpg

I've recently come into some free cash, and have pretty much set myself on adding a Hayabusa to the list. I rode one once, many years ago, and thought it was awesome. Of course, that was shortly before my financial setback, so nothing ever happened. Time to correct that.

Mainly here to learn as much as I can about these bikes. Thanks in advance for your patience with what will no doubt be a bunch of newb questions from me.

Cheers!

Welcome, sorry to hear about your set back and happy to hear you are rebounding...

You will be exposed to a wealth of knowledge about all things Hayabusa (and other stuff) around here.

Good luck on the hunt...which generation are you seeking?

"which generation are you seeking?"

Not really sure. I suppose all things being equal, newer is better.

That actually gets to my first question. Not sure if I should ask it here or in another section, but here goes:

MSRP on a new 2019 is what, $14,500 or so?

I've been looking around on Cycletrader, and see any number of ads from dealers (like this one, for example) offering new ones for under $10k.

Is that for real? Seems like a crazy discount level. Is there some sort of catch I'm missing?

Honestly, for $10k, I'd just get a new one.

Welcome to the forum! Ex HD rider here! You will love the Hayabusa especially on highway rides. It just cruises so easily! Good luck to you in your hunt, where is your location?

Reactions: c10

That actually gets to my first question. Not sure if I should ask it here or in another section, but here goes:

I've been looking around on Cycletrader, and see any number of ads from dealers (like this one, for example) offering new ones for under $10k.

Is that for real? Seems like a crazy discount level. Is there some sort of catch I'm missing?

Welcome!
You can get them cheaper than 14k. Watch out for the way lowball ones there are probably dealer fees. I called on one some time ago and they wanted a grand in fees.

This time of year is a great time to look for leftover year models that’s been marked down. The only difference between an 18, 19 for example will be color. If you plan to keep it resale is not really an issue to be concerned about either. Yes you can find them reduced but also factor in dealer add on fees such as destination charges, doc fees, tags and taxes etc...

You can find plenty of used low mileage examples as well and save even more..

Reactions: c10
Welcome to the forum! You came to the right place to learn about these bikes. As for which generation to get, 2008 to 2019 is the same bike, except for the addition of abs brakes in 2013. There are several dealer that sell them new for 10k plus taxes, paperwork and dealer fees, so do not pay msrp for any hayabusa.

Greetings!

By way of introduction, 57 yo, been riding for decades.

Along the way, I had a couple of Suzukis. A first-year SV650 and later a DL1000. Always was fond of those.

Then a while back I went broke, and everything got sold.

Ten or so years ago, got my head above water and got back on two wheels. At the risk of getting off on the wrong foot around here, I'll say that I've been riding old-ish HD's. First a 1990 FXR, then a 1990 ElectraGlide, and last year I built a '97 Sportster powered bobber. I sold the FXR a while back, but still have the glide and the bobber.

View attachment 1607252

I've recently come into some free cash, and have pretty much set myself on adding a Hayabusa to the list. I rode one once, many years ago, and thought it was awesome. Of course, that was shortly before my financial setback, so nothing ever happened. Time to correct that.

Mainly here to learn as much as I can about these bikes. Thanks in advance for your patience with what will no doubt be a bunch of newb questions from me.

Cheers!
Welcome to the madness. Finally again a nice introduction from a new member.
So much more motivation to help you out.

I would recommend to get a Gen2 . As others have said that nothing changed except the brakes in 2013 and of course the colours.
Besides getting a good deal for a new one I would also recommend to keep your eyes open on the used market.
Many of us got amazing deals ( I got mine 2 years ago from a gentleman in your age who had it new for 4 years and the bike had 3000 miles on it.) He sold it because he didnt ride it and I paid 5000 canadian dollars (3500 us dollars) for it. The bike was in PERFECT shape and i put about 20 000 miles on it since without any issues.

Last edited:
welcome! i assume by omaha you live there? i am in the area as well. I ride a gen 1 but have had so many i am losing count. Welcome let me know if you need anything locally!

Much appreciation for the warm welcome!

Yep. Live in Omaha.

I saw that same ad on cycletrader. Seems almost suspiciously low, but maybe I'll give them a call and see what's what.

Found this one not too far away on CL 2014 Suzuki hayabusa

'14, low miles, already has pipes and tuner. I like the red. Wants $8k.

Reasonable?

I've got next to no experience with FI bikes. How important are the tuner and pipes? I'm not going to be racing this thing. I assume they come from the factory with a lean, EPA tune. Worth doing anything about that?

Yep. Live in Omaha.

I saw that same ad on cycletrader. Seems almost suspiciously low, but maybe I'll give them a call and see what's what.

Reasonable?

I've got next to no experience with FI bikes. How important are the tuner and pipes? I'm not going to be racing this thing. I assume they come from the factory with a lean, EPA tune. Worth doing anything about that?
Not a bad price and bike has some extras on it already looks to be pretty clean and cared for, good tires, given the year and mileage I’d say it could be a contender and he may even be willing to go a tad lower if you show up with cash

Yep. Live in Omaha.

Reasonable?

Nice color, low miles and decent price...hard to go wrong there.

It has slip ons on it so really doesn't need a tune, can run it like it is. A full exhaust generally needs to be tuned and a Power Commander or sending the ECU can sort that out.

Back