Looking to buy a new RA L3 in yellow

lb2e04x

Registered
Hi all, just joined the group today.
Reason I have joined is because I have seen a new Yellow/Black RA L3 and fell in love.
I have booked a test drive however, I currently have a 2001 R1 and weight/height is a concern on the Busa.
I don't really want to buy a new one but if I have no other option then so be it.
The question,
If I go second hand what should I be looking for to avoid problems. What problems have you had with your bike.
thanks you all

Dave

Shaftesbury
Dorset
England

I can't say much about busa's specifically, as I've only owned one and I bought new. But, I've been through a few used bikes, and there are a few things I would look for:

Any custom wiring, and did they know what they were doing. I don't like when they pull power from any source other than direct from the battery with it's own fuse. Also, the overuse of electrical tape indicates to me, that they didn't take their time. Mainly I mean using electrical tape for mounting or securing wires instead of just for insulating.

Then I go to the bottom of the engine, look for signs of leaks. Of course, look at the dipstick. The oil should be clean and fairly new and brown milkshake can mean a coolant leak into the engine. (Hopefully someone more mechanical will chime in on that one:) )

Then on to the chain and sprockets, tire wear etc. Just as an indicator of how the previous owner drove.

Too many new parts are a red flag for me. If that's the case then give the frame as well as all mounting hardware a serious inspection.

None of those are really deal breakers for me, just usually to make sure I know what i'm getting into and that the price is right. I've read on here that you can tell when they've replaced the fairings with cheaper ones by looking for the insulation on the inside. I'd imagine without that insulation, the engine heat would be more annoying.

I think the normal welcoming committee missed your post, so let me be the first to say, Welcome to the oRg!

Good luck on your purchase. The yellow is an awesome look, and there's lots of gear with yellow highlights to go with it.

I have the same model Busa.....only thing you might find an issue is the stock brakes...lever feel is a bit better than older Busa's but still relatively soft compared to the likes of your R1.
Otherwise its a great bike and far far more comfy than the R1....it may be a reasonably long reach to the Busa bars but within 10 minutes it will feel so natural.
Why the concern about your weight / height....i'm 5'6" and 85kgs and its a doddle to ride the Busa...My Bro-in-law has a 12' model and he's 6'2" and about the same weight as me....i've seen flyweight riders and near Sumo sized riders on Busa's...it fits pretty much everyone.
1st thing is get a better screen, 2nd better brake pads if your a hard rider....after that the list of accessories is virtually endless.

Oh....there was an ABS system recall on the 13's so make sure it was done....beyond that Busa's are close to bullet proof.
As per previous post....watch for mods....buy it as close to stock as possible...except for cans/screen etc.
I've only added Yoshi's,screen and lowering pegs ( due to a bad knee injury ) and a set of Pazzo levers.

There is no magical list of what to look for, every bike is different, but basically check it over and take your time. I believe over there you have to get the bike inspected every year? Perhaps take it to a MOT center or motorbike shop for an inspection to put your mind at ease?

-D

Hmmmm

IMG_0817 (Small).JPG

Back