Looking for suspension setup recommendations in the DC Metro area

Josh

Registered
Can anyone recommend a good shop in the DC area for suspension setup and tuning? I'd like to have someone fairly accomplished in the area set up my bike for my weight and give me a good baseline for which to dial in minor adjustments. I've been playing with it since I bought the scoot last year, but I just haven't been able to get it to the point that it feels right.

I'm out in Martinsburg, but I don't mind a little trip to get this squared away. I thought about giving Twigg Cycles in Hagerstown a call, but I just don't think I'd get the results I'm looking for from them.

Thanks much.

You could also meet up with blarney racing at summit Raceway during track days too.

I had that in mind. I was thinking about hitting up a NESBA intro day in September, but I was hoping to have someone square me away prior to late July for my Maggie Valley trip. Timing is a beotch sometimes. :)

Thanks for the lead on Blarney. I wasn't sure who was doing trackside setup over at the Point. Do you know if they'll have a look at a bike not participating in an event? I'm only 20 minutes or so from the track and was thinking about heading over to watch some WERA racing tomorrow or Sunday.

I had that in mind. I was thinking about hitting up a NESBA intro day in September, but I was hoping to have someone square me away prior to late July for my Maggie Valley trip. Timing is a beotch sometimes. :)

Thanks for the lead on Blarney. I wasn't sure who was doing trackside setup over at the Point. Do you know if they'll have a look at a bike not participating in an event? I'm only 20 minutes or so from the track and was thinking about heading over to watch some WERA racing tomorrow or Sunday.

If there is racing, there will be a suspension vendor there. You are on the right track. A track vendor is a much better choice than a local shop due to the amount of experience the track vendors get over the shop guys.

First thing in the morning is not a good time to approach a vendor since there will be lots of activity with racers preparing for the day. Best to make it after noon sometime when the rush is over and the vendor has time to make a few bucks from a walk up.

Would like to know how this adventure went and what you think of the ride after setup!

If there is racing, there will be a suspension vendor there. You are on the right track. A track vendor is a much better choice than a local shop due to the amount of experience the track vendors get over the shop guys.

First thing in the morning is not a good time to approach a vendor since there will be lots of activity with racers preparing for the day. Best to make it after noon sometime when the rush is over and the vendor has time to make a few bucks from a walk up.

Would like to know how this adventure went and what you think of the ride after setup!

My thoughts as well. I'll pass along any lessons learned from the attempt, and thanks for your informed input.

I'm mostly happy with my best effort at setting up the suspension on my own, but I just can't find the balance I'm looking for and am curious if I just need an overall geometry adjustment. I have the front feeling like I want it, but the rear is giving me issues and I think it's time to let someone with experience teach me where I'm going wrong and sort me out. Two-up it feels like it's on rails. But when it's just me and my 180 geared pounds, the rear feels wallowy and I feel like the back shoe is not handling uneven pavement as well as it should.

My thoughts as well. I'll pass along any lessons learned from the attempt, and thanks for your informed input.

I'm mostly happy with my best effort at setting up the suspension on my own, but I just can't find the balance I'm looking for and am curious if I just need an overall geometry adjustment. I have the front feeling like I want it, but the rear is giving me issues and I think it's time to let someone with experience teach me where I'm going wrong and sort me out. Two-up it feels like it's on rails. But when it's just me and my 180 geared pounds, the rear feels wallowy and I feel like the back shoe is not handling uneven pavement as well as it should.

Have you set the sag? I don't claim to be a suspension guy, and like Tuf said the track vendor is your best bet. I can get it good for you if you can't find help elsewhere. I'm about 3 1/2 hrs south. I had the exact same issue as you before setting my sag and adjusting th rear preload. I'm 175lbs and add 20lbs in my leathers. My front was good and my rear liked to wobble or dance, put my wife on the back and it was excellent. Now after the changes the whole bike is perfect, it's on rails. I had Tuf look at my tire wear and he gave me the thumbs up.
There's some great curves down here, and I'm about 40 min from the BRP.
Again, I'm no suspension guy, but I've done several well, if you need help, I can get you really close. Hope you get it right.:beerchug:

Have you set the sag? I don't claim to be a suspension guy, and like Tuf said the track vendor is your best bet. I can get it good for you if you can't find help elsewhere. I'm about 3 1/2 hrs south. I had the exact same issue as you before setting my sag and adjusting th rear preload. I'm 175lbs and add 20lbs in my leathers. My front was good and my rear liked to wobble or dance, put my wife on the back and it was excellent. Now after the changes the whole bike is perfect, it's on rails. I had Tuf look at my tire wear and he gave me the thumbs up.
There's some great curves down here, and I'm about 40 min from the BRP.
Again, I'm no suspension guy, but I've done several well, if you need help, I can get you really close. Hope you get it right.:beerchug:

Where are you in VA? I cover a lot of ground, so depending on where you are it would probably be no stress to come down and have you take a peek if you don't mind. I haven't set the sag and I am willing to bet that's going to have a lot to do with getting it where I want it. That we appear to be pretty close in weight and given that the scenario you describe is more or less what I'm dealing with, I think you might be my guy. :thumbsup:

For giggles, are you on a Gen I or II? If a Gen I, could you give me the settings you're running for solo street? I'm not much of a stunter and want to dial this thing in for the mountain twisties. I could use that as a baseline and compare it to what I've already tried and go from there.

Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it.

Thanks. I am pretty familiar with Roanoke. I have a get-together with cruiser buddies at Natural Bridge every year (moving to Maggie Valley this year though) and used to spend a lot of time in the summers at Smith Mountain Lake when I was a kid.

I read the other thread and saw you haven't done a track day. Well, I haven't either and I intend to fix that either next month or (most likely) in September if you're interested.

Thanks. I am pretty familiar with Roanoke. I have a get-together with cruiser buddies at Natural Bridge every year (moving to Maggie Valley this year though) and used to spend a lot of time in the summers at Smith Mountain Lake when I was a kid.

I read the other thread and saw you haven't done a track day. Well, I haven't either and I intend to fix that either next month or (most likely) in September if you're interested.

September sounds good financially for me, and if I have the money I'm definately in.
Natural Bridge dragstrip is having a bike day tommorrow, and I know SML too.
Most any weekday is good for me(no traffic) let me know if you want to head this way anytime.:beerchug:

September sounds good financially for me, and if I have the money I'm definately in.
Natural Bridge dragstrip is having a bike day tommorrow, and I know SML too.
Most any weekday is good for me(no traffic) let me know if you want to head this way anytime.:beerchug:

If you've never done a NESBA event, they offer a free intro. Morning class with the beginner group, then two free 20-minute sessions. If there's room and you want to stay for the rest of the day, you pay your annual NESBA membership and whatever the event fee for the day is. Looks like $145 for the September dates. That's what I'm hoping to do.

If you've never done a NESBA event, they offer a free intro. Morning class with the beginner group, then two free 20-minute sessions. If there's room and you want to stay for the rest of the day, you pay your annual NESBA membership and whatever the event fee for the day is. Looks like $145 for the September dates. That's what I'm hoping to do.

Sounds good. I was figuring on $200 plus gas and food.

Sounds good. I was figuring on $200 plus gas and food.

Ohhh so offer to help someone and come all the oway over to help a brutha out but us MD peeps what..we dont deserve the pleasure of your company????????????????????
I see how it is sixpack:poke::poke::lol:

He would come here, no way my ass can handle that much straight highway to see any of you!:moon::laugh:

Back