Looking for some opinions on Honda Blackbird,1998

theshnizzle

Rainbow of Skittles
Registered
You know, just wanted to get some opinions on the blackbird.....no particular reason....ok, that's not true, I have a reason, but not quite ready to share.....yet ???

In it's day, that bike was the king. Suzuki built the Hayabusa specifically to knock it off it's thrown. That's why the GSX1300R has the Hayabusa name, the falcon eats Blackbirds for lunch. That bike is what made this community possible.

I hear more people extolling the virtues of the bird and almost EVERYONE says what an AWESOME bike it is,and of course, how they wished they had never sold theirs.....

What are your intents with the bike? I had a friend that was searching for one for touring and long rides...he liked it and added a pacific coast passing on the busa even after riding mine. Not that it helps you much but he enjoys the bike.

It's the bike that dethroned my 1997 Zx11 from status of fastest bike made.
It's a Honda , what else need be said? Reliable , reliable and some more reliability :)

Great bike,but couldnt keep up with the jones! had to upgrade and keek up with the jones!

max.jpg

One of my best friends from all the way back in college has one, original owner. After one great ride last summer, I told him that It was great to ride with someone who could actually hang with the Busa. He said he felt the same way.

I'd add a Blackbird to the fleet in a heartbeat if I could get it for a good price. :bowdown:

I bought a brand new 02, I think I put about 10 or 12 k on it before I traded it in on a Mustang Cobra. It was the best bike I ever owned until I got my 05 Busa :)..I recall the bird was a little smoother- would hit the limiter all the time cause I could not feel the motor taper off...it was like it had an electric motor.... It was a good commuter, although on cold mornings I think the Busa does better on wind protection all around.... Never had a single issue, except it seemed to run kinda hot in the AZ summers... I recall the tranny shifting smoother than the Busa. But for me the Busa is a better commuter, better fuel mileage, less downshifting in traffic and just plain love the damn thing way more than any bike I have ever owned.:thumbsup:

they are great bikes.....they are one of those bikes that are rarely for sale, because thier owners like them so much.

we built one for the strip, had a blast with it.

Yes, the Blackbird is a great bike. - Comfortable, vibration-free, smooth power delivery and Honda reliability. I very nearly bought one rather than the Busa. I have always owned Suzukis but I have also always thought that Honda make better-built, more reliable bikes.
Honda is the world's biggest bike manufacturer, and there's a reason why!

I wouldn't mind having a supercharged Blackbird.

I had one a year ago. Its a very nice bike. Watch for electrical issues if your buying. Also the fuel regulator will sometimes dry out and fail from the ethonal gas. Easy fix when you know what your looking for on the regulator. It will leak fuel through the vacum hose if its gone bad and load up cylinder 2/3 which will make you think coil. Its not as fast as a busa but moves down the road very nice. Linked brakes work as designed but I was never a big fan. It left me wanting for a busa and now i have one. There is a strong owners group with lots of knowledge. Performance enhancements are limited in comparison to busa or zx14 but there are a few people doing crazy stuff with it still. The bike was sold until 07 in AUStrilia so its somewhat current kind of. I think you need to go up a year till 99 to get injection.

check out cbr1100.org for more info.
bryan

Caveat: I wouldn't buy the 1998 model. You can get a later model with very low mileage at a very low price.

The later models were a better bike. From Wiki:

Major update.
PGM FI fuel injection system is introduced.
Ram-air system is introduced. It provides engine with more air at high speeds (above 200 km/h/120 mph) utilizing aerodynamic pressure, thus raising power output to a claimed 164 hp (122 kW) at 9,500 rpm (at the crank).
Revised linked brakes with altered proportioning between front and rear.
Fuel tank capacity is increased from 22 to 24 liters.
The choke lever is removed from the left side switch assembly as it is no longer necessary.
To accommodate the ram air tubes, the oil cooler becomes lower and wider.
The inner and outer fork bushings are wider, changing the fork lowers and sliders.
The sidestand warning light on the instrument cluster becomes the FI warning light.
The wide part of the front axle (left side) becomes 10 mm longer, which makes the left-front axle space 10 mm shorter.
The two bulbs in the tail light are vertically aligned, in previous years they were side by side.
Front wheel hub is enlarged, the brake rotors are changed.
The ignition switch is changed, and the keys are longer.
The rotor carriers, stator cover and clutch cover are a light titanium color.
The number of clutch plates is reduced from nine to seven.
The rear inner fender changes shape to accommodate additional electronics.

Honda CBR1100XX - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Great bike whose time has come...and gone. Great for what it was...back then, and I am uber grateful for the road it paved for the Hayabusa and ZX14. :bowdown:

I've seen a couple, never had a chance to ride one but I would buy one if I could. A lot of good things are said about them even thought they are an older bike.

Lorie, I rode one last summer while BB was getting her throttle bodies synced. It was smooth, powerful, and fun to ride. I would buy one if the Hayabusa were never made.

I have ridden several. Personally I would pick a 1999 up to get fuel injection over the carbs. Nice bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly, I don't really care that much if a bike is carbed or FI. My CBR is carbs and it is smooth as butter. My 02 busa was FI and holy crap, easy on the throttle buster!

There is one for sale...1998.... 85,000 kilometers....( keep in mind my CBR 600 has 120,000 k on it and my BFs VFR has over 140,000 k on it, both bikes do not burn a drop of oil,) 3 hard bags and a home made trailer ( not yet seen) asking 2,500 bucks.

Back