Looking for some cell phone gouge

MC MUSTANG

Peace Keeper or Ban Hammer-it's up to you; IDMBT#9
Staff member
Administrator
Registered
Guys,
I need a little help here...
I come back home in a little bit and I have had my cell phone account on a military suspension for my deployment. My account is with AT&T, and when I called then to start talkign about my account, they said I was due/eligable for an upgrade. So, I have talked to a few people here and they say the way to go is the IPhone, especially since they are pretty cheap right now... problem is this. I don't need all the apps and stuff (that I know of)... I don't need it to watch movies and all, but I am a big fan of the fact that it is like an IPod and that I will be able to surf the net and text on the touch screen, etc...

Anybody have any info/opinions? One of the things that I haven't liked about the phones I have had in the past is that I couldn't really surf... If I can avoid dragging my laptop everywhere, because I can do it from my phone then that is great... but is the IPhone the way to go? Also, are there any AT&T people who can give me the in and outs of the way thier packages work?

Thanks,
MCM

Sir,
Thanks for the glowing report... is there anything special that you do with it? I mean, up until now, I have pretty much only asked that when my phone rings, I can answer it - and that when I do, there is someone to talk to on the other end... What makes the IPhone so awesome? I just don't have any experieince with it at all...

Love my iPhone!!!! A week after I got it, my car broke down. I was able to surf the internet to find a towing service near by and got my car towed and fixed all in the same day. I can't remember what life was like before our iPhone!!! :whistle: :cheerleader:

Love my iPhone!!!! A week after I got it, my car broke down. I was able to surf the internet to find a towing service near by and got my car towed and fixed all in the same day. I can't remember what life was like before our iPhone!!! :whistle: :cheerleader:

And you were giving realtime facebook updates on the ordeal from it.

It's a nice handset that can pretty much do anything a computer can do, surf, listen to internet radio, cut and paste send and recieve pictures/videos! very nice device I dont like the fact that you cant get a extended battery for it, other then that it's pretty sweet! By the way I use a droid eris(google operating system), at&t will have some coming in the spring and summer!

Sir,
Thanks for the glowing report... is there anything special that you do with it? I mean, up until now, I have pretty much only asked that when my phone rings, I can answer it - and that when I do, there is someone to talk to on the other end... What makes the IPhone so awesome? I just don't have any experieince with it at all...

MC, besides a really good email app, it surfs the net really well, browser is WYSIWYG; and the phone is FAST - it keeps up with you (1st phone I ever had that did that). The two-finger 'pinch' and 'move apart' motion to resize the screen is awesome. Stores ALL my music, arranges and plays with excellent clarity. The Youtube app is excellent. The google map app and gps is even better: use google to find someplace, tap it, and the map will come up and even give you gps moving map to it. It's almost like having a PC and phone in your pocket. The app store has 100K+ apps that you can customize ad nausem. Simply amazing!

When you get home, just go sit down in the mall and watch how many iPhones are out there you will be amazed. Come to the bash I'll let you play with mine (maybe I should rephrase that) :laugh:

Last edited:
Well, sir - thanks for the advice and info... I plan on being at the Bash... why don't we just leave it there - :laugh:

IPhone is the closest thing to a pocket PC.
I carry mine to every country I go to .
While the roaming and map fees can get ridiculous here at home I love it.
I use it for currency calculator, weather and time check anywhere in the world, map feature in most of the world, and best of all surfing the org anywhere.
If there was a phone/device that was better I think I would have it. Cant put it down.
Shows live flowing radar and weather channel app, current gold prices that instantly refresh, excellent navigation features for a phone.

Make sure you get the latest one IPhone 3GS model.

My family and I are on the 3000 minute plan.
We have the unlimited text plan for like 20 bucks cuz I have an 11yr old daughter with her own phone.
My average bill is about 2-300 bucks a month but I have had ones as high as 1500 !!!

For one person you should be fine and I know no other device that works as well.
You should be able to get a plan for as low as 50-60 bucks a month but remember you have to pay 30 bucks a month from get go for unlimited net access.

It seems like once you have an upgrade like the iphone you wonder how you got by before without it. Myself, I would be afraid of breaking it + I have yet to aford the cost of the plans.

just add the $30.00 data plan for the I-phone to whatever talk plan you want.

And yes the I-phone is awesome:bowdown: some of the apps are must have's
I didnt think I would use it as much as I do,there are so many usefull apps:cheerleader:

Hey Shawn... Hope you're doing well!

I've been a HUGE Blackberry fan for years; I've used just about every model that AT&T has released in the last 6-7 years. Anywhoo - about 2 weeks ago work gave me an iPhone to play with...see if we want to start deploying it to our users. It's taken some getting used to, but it's starting to grow on me.

I'll admit - it's fantastic as a web browser. I really do enjoy surfing the Net on it. The iPod capability is nice - but I hate how it can't be sync'd with more than one PC. (there's supposed to be ways, but I haven't gotten any to work). There's a bunch of cool apps out there for it.

I will say that if you go with the iPhone, be prepared to get some extra cables/chargers. If you're using 3G, it sucks the battery. I keep mine with 3G off and WiFi off...only turning them on if I need it.

Holla at me if you want to know more...

Okay, I highly recommend the iPhone to people. I'm a gadget freak and back in the day I would have to carry my smart phone, mp3 player, and didn't have a medium to display my photos on (amateur photographer in my spare time). With the iPhone I can do all three things that I just mentioned and that's what initially sold me.

I was like you and was thinking the apps were a waste of time but then I found some really amazing ones. I have an app that keeps track of my MPG for both my truck and busa. I also have an app to find the cheapest gas station based on your GPS location.

I also have a grocery list program that scans the bar code of the item I just used up and automatically adds it to the list. I have another program that will scan any bar code and do a google price check on it to make sure I'm getting the best deal.

Conversion programs for when you need to know how many feet are in a mile for example. A calorie counter so I can watch my food intake which helped me loose 50 pounds in one year. The maps feature has helped me find places to eat, shop, and get directions to friend's houses now.

It has a 7 day local weather program that I check every morning to see if I can ride the busa to work or not. A program to find the nearest theater based off my GPS location and to tell me what movies they have. I can also watch any movie preview from the app. Sportscenter app to keep track of my favorite teams.

I think you see my point that if you can think of something you want there is an app for it.

I also support Blackberries at work and they are reliable phone but in my opinion they don't have the apps like the iPhone has. Good luck with your choice! :beerchug:

Back