Looking for red Flags

Gravity7

Registered
@ the end of the year I’m looking to purchase a used 2002 Hayabusa. As a previous sport bike owner I have a general idea what to look for in choosing a descent condition bike, but lack the knowledge of what red flags to look for with this particular bike. I did spend a bit of time in the common problems posting and did learn a lot. Just wanted to see if anyone had any good bits of good info….. Thanks :type:

Make sure you get a silver/grey busa. The other colors are slower! ;)

Seriously tho, the two major things that stand out in my mind from readin' a lot of posts like you did would be the cam chain tensioner deal and the starter deal. I don't know details about either one because my bike is an '03 and shouldn't suffer from either. If you've read about those two problems then I think you have seen the worst of the busa red flags. ;)

The only bikes afflicted with the cam-chain tensioner issue were 1999-2000. The 2002's do not have any recall items. There are some starter issues but from what I have heard these are "Usually" the result of modifications, especially the TRE. Apparantly it strikes without any warning, the key to avoid it from what I have heard "Dealer info" mind you is to be sure to press the starter button until she fires, if she fails to start the first time WAIT a few seconds before trying again, should avoid any problems there.
Otherwise, just make sure you can get service records/receipts for work done.
Oh and hold on tight....

99 & 00's had fuel filter/pump issues...

Genericllllly..... No harsh mod's. anything beyond pretty mod's stay away from unless you know the prev owner's riding style and mechanical aptitude...

Thanks people , appreciate your knowledge. Hopefully it won’t be long till I can make the jump to light speed …. Will post later if anything comes to mind thanks aging for your help ….. :D

@ the end of the year I’m looking to purchase a used 2002 Hayabusa. As a previous sport bike owner I have a general idea what to look for in choosing a descent condition bike, but lack the knowledge of what red flags to look for with this  particular bike. I did spend a bit of time in the common problems posting and did learn a lot. Just wanted to see if anyone had any good bits of good info….. Thanks     :type:
Your neighbors might get a little jeleous if you bring home an '02 Silver Busa! ;)

Now... Are you sure that you don't want to start off with something a little smaller like an EX500 or something and work your way up! Or maybe get into a Vespa to hone your mechanical skills. :tounge:

J/K! :laugh:
What's up Andrew!

I think I have grown out of my turbo forced induction Vespa from Italy. Ya I think my neighbor would be foaming at the mouth when i bring home a Hayabusa . And it’s only a matter of time till my neighbor gets his Hayabusa . PS: I don’t own a vespa.. for the record .!… What’s up Chris !!!!!!Haven’t killed the gopher yet !:tounge:

Back