Looking for recent battery info.

RX1Jim

Registered
Hey folks,
Both Busas are now in need of a new battery. Thinking of trying batteries from Earth-X. An Earth-X battery is about $200 compared to a Yuasa OEM battery for $97. Anybody have experience with Earth-X batteries? Any other reccomendations?? Thanks!!

Jim

I went with the Ballistic Evo2 12 Cell from Sportbike Track Gear. Was in the 200 range. No complaints at all. I didn't ride for a while, and still started right up first shot!

Never heard of Earth X though.

Yeah I've had a Ballistic for a little over 2 years now and it has given me Zero problems.

Small lightweight compact and fires my busa right up every time

First I'll say I have no experience with Earth-X specifically, but I do know a little something about the Lithium chemistry. They CANNOT simply be continuously charged like lead-acid batteries (this leads to a quick death, just like phones that people charge overnight, (and for reference, my phone is over 3 years old and still has full capacity) and can even be dangerous, remember the Dell and Apple laptops catching fire a few years back?), and their website only talks about discharge protection. I would hope that the discharge protection circuit also prevents overcharging, but again they don't say.

Thanks guys for the info.. More choices than I originally thought. I am leaning towards the Ballistic battery. Thanks

First I'll say I have no experience with Earth-X specifically, but I do know a little something about the Lithium chemistry. They CANNOT simply be continuously charged like lead-acid batteries (this leads to a quick death, just like phones that people charge overnight, (and for reference, my phone is over 3 years old and still has full capacity) and can even be dangerous, remember the Dell and Apple laptops catching fire a few years back?), and their website only talks about discharge protection. I would hope that the discharge protection circuit also prevents overcharging, but again they don't say.

^^This!

Owning several flashlights which require 18650 lithium cells, I have come to realize that lithium chemistry batteries don't belong in vehicle applications.

Before I get flamed on this, I do realize that the batteries used in bikes and cars are a safer chemistry than the ones in my flashlights, however they are still sensitive to overcharging and excessive discharge.

I have a 2008 stock battery that has been on a battery tender when not ridden. Have had zero problems with it and it is now 7 years+ old.

Back