Looking for input/personal preference on boots

Drewbush

Registered
I was digging around in the Gear Forum, but its not very active and couldnt really find exact info for what pertains to me. And since that forum doesnt get that much traffic, I figured I would try here first. So anyways, I am needing a new pair of riding boots. My old Sidi Vertebrae's have seen better days. They are at least 12 years old and have been ridden hard and put away wet.
59DAD755-9252-40BB-AEF1-4D848BF4F316_zpsntl11rsn.jpg

The zippers are separated, velcro has torn off the sides and the soles are hard as a rock and give no traction on the ground. So its time to replace them. I was using my MX boots on my dual sport, but sold that and bought the Busa. So its been since 2007 ive been on the dualsport ride.

I am contemplating getting a new set of Sidi's but not sure if I am going to get the full length race boot or the newer "hightop" style boot. This is where im looking for input. I probably wont see the track again for years and most of my riding will be commuting and a few "spirited" rides here and there. My old boots were comfortable to walk around in for an hour or two, but that was last decade since I really remember wearing them. So do people prefer the shoe like feel of the "hightop style" or the added peace of mind that comes with a full length boot.

Please give me your personal riding opinion, thanks.

Drew

After 12 years of no issue, I'd say they owe you nothing and is a statement to their quality and comfort. Going from a full boot to a half boot is personal preference and only you can decide what is best for you. I ride year round, rain or shine, 300+ miles a week. Safety and protection is paramount. I choose to wear a full boot and have three pair of Sidi's in the collection.

Sidi Blades are what I wear. They are a half boot with good ankle protection and comfortable too.

I have Sidi Vortice's as well as Alpinstar SuperTech-R's. I prefer the Sidi's having owned 3 pairs how. The Astars are nice but I don't like the separate booty system. I've had several get offs at the track, some at close to 100 mph and just like any good piece of safety equipment, boots are very important. The amount of foot injuries as a result of motorcycle crashes is very high and I always sacrifice a little walking comfort for protection.

I have to joe rocket riding shoes. Not the top of the food chain but fairly comfortable to walk around. I am looking for a track boot for the drag strip and kinda want a high top or full le gth boot. I'm thinking about going sidi.

I have had Aerostitch Combat Touring boots with the grey outsole for a couple years now and really like them. My feet have never gotten wet in them even though they are not advertised as water proof. I have treated them with obenauf's lp a couple times which may contribute to the water resistance. They breath well enough I have yet to get swamp foot even on the hottest days. The protection is not as good as a motocross or racing style boot, however that is a trade off I am willing to make to be able to walk around comfortably. They are built for Aerostitch by Sidi.
OK, now the negatives,, I have never had a pair of boots that was so hard to break in! The leather is so thick that is took me a month of wearing them occasionally before I finally soaked them in water overnight and wore they until dry (I have broken in many pairs of other top quality boots without soaking). Also the included insole isn't that great and a quality aftermarket one great improves how the boot feels.

After 12 years of no issue, I'd say they owe you nothing and is a statement to their quality and comfort. Going from a full boot to a half boot is personal preference and only you can decide what is best for you. I ride year round, rain or shine, 300+ miles a week. Safety and protection is paramount. I choose to wear a full boot and have three pair of Sidi's in the collection.

I completely agree. I was leaning towards getting a full race boot again, and your response just makes perfect sense. I am going out htis weekend and getting some new Sidi's. I will post back when I get them.

ps. I wore my old beat up Sidi's today to work, and man it get sketchy stopping at a light and putting my foot down. The soles are so hard that they almost have zero side traction, so if you are not sitting straight up when you put your foot down, it wants to slide a little.

Back