looking for answers

headrash

Registered
I installed plate lights recently on my k8 and hooked the wires for the new lights to the existing plate light wires. Now when I turn the bike on the fuse blowes. That fuse runs the dash, tail, breaks, and blinkers. Basically all except the head light. I thought about dropping a larger fuse in but I'm afraid it might screw up the electrical on her. Anyone know how to fix the problem?
peace.gif

If you are blowing a fuse since adding the extra lights then the amperage for that circuit is exceeded. Adding a bigger fuse will only cause the whole of the circuit to draw more amperage and exceed the amperage rating of that circuit resulting in a potentially dangerous situation where portions of the circuit (wires, connectors, etc) get too hot and either:

a) Melt and short
b) Burn and short

Move your new lights to a different circuit or go directly to the battery. Personally, I would create a new circuit by adding a fuse block and hiding it under the tail. There is a guy who did that on here a few months back. A search should bring it up. :-)

Double check that you have the wire connected properly and that there arent any exposed wires touching bare metal..Ill check a bit later to what wires I have mine connected to..Maybe thatll help you out..Im almost 100% sure its one of those 2 causing it..I had the same thing happen to me

Thanks POSR I think that will help. I want to make sure I don't F-up my wiring. I made sure the wires were all taped. Took my time to make it look professional. Big Dawg if you can send some pics of how yours is hooked up I'd appreciate it.

I see you are in Chandler. I'm between QC and Florence, but I ride to Chandler everyday to work. Maybe sometime we can hook up or something.
beerchug.gif

Back